Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley CGT 04 vs 06 price concern and question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Enterpriser will become famous soon enough
Bentley CGT 04 vs 06 price concern and question

Hi Guys,

First time poster but gained so much knowledge in my journey for a new Bentley. The chase sure is fun and I am thankful to have found this site.

My question is, from my research it appears folks suggest skipping the 04-05 CGt and get the 06 which in my searching the price has been around + - 68k-78k vs the 04-05 which I am finding around + - 58-68k.

The criteria I am hunting is under 40k on the odometer and I have been mainly looking in Florida and Maryland as that is where I reside. This is from local non bentley dealers and I have test drove a good bit and am wondering since it appears the cost savings is around 10k+- should I get the 04 and have the 10k buffer for repairing the tpms, brake light and other known items or just invest the extra 10k in the purchase and get the 06?

The technology seemed really antiquated in most of the models I drove but I guess the years I am looking at doesn't get anything touch screen or bluetooth and the aftermarket arena appeared slim.

This will be our 3rd car and I will use it often for business as I am a consultant and the need for a car of this caliber will be welcome and I have a young son and the backseats are a plus. I vetted the Mas Quattro, the M5, M6, flirted with the Tesla S but I keep coming back to the CGT even though it didnt give me the thrill of the Ms and the modern touches as most all others and the steering wheel I cant stand but I keep coming back..

Every CGT I look at I run the VIN with Bentley and get the report and I know I will need the upcoming 40k service and I plan on getting the pre purchase inspection which Bentley charges 500$

That said, what do you guys think in your experience? Much thanks!

Old 06-15-2013, 06:39 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
the 06MY car was a much improved car,better tpms,better phone system,better nav so really it is up to you,if you find an 04 with very low miles it might be worth considering the earlier car then.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
I got a 04. The only thing I really miss is backup cam. The nav is outdated but not a deal breaker. I haven't tried the 06 so can't comment on it.

The reason I chose the 04 is because it is the least expensive way to have a cool daily driver and save the extra $10k for a Gallardo for the weekend.

Good luck on your search!

Old 06-16-2013, 04:46 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
i'd go for the 06 and, sadly, seems the Bentley dealership sold the previously here triple black 47k 06 GT car ($75k asking, would have been perfect for you). There are changes and the 06 is the way'd i'd go EVERY time. Can see changes to the 07 GTC that is here now from the 06 GT that was here. Bentley does not overtly 'advertise' all the changes they make year to year. The company simply improves the car as items are normally sorted, as we find with any normal product evolution. Already looking forward to eventually daily driving an 09+ at some point in the future as I want Adaptive Cruise Control.

As for daily driving a GT, work at home yet did about 18k miles in two years on the 06 GT before trading for an 07 GTC. Reason for trade is never had a convertible and after looking at Maserati, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Mercedes, etc the GTC was the obvious choice. Am very critical on reliability, TCO, true craftsmanship, proper engine/power, etc. FYI: Wife and I did around 500 miles equaling over 7 hours in the GTC yesterday touring Maine (a lighthouse, five different coves/enclaves...). The seats are supremely all-day comfortable as is the drive. As for USABLE power in real-world driving situations, there are reasons why these are called GRAND touring machines and Bentley defines it in the truest sense.

Glad you mentioned the 40k miles service as, frankly, it should have already been done YEARS AGO if the owner did proper care of the car. Have a feeling you really want a modern Bentley with all the new tech, yet yes the costs are what they are for quality such as this. Like you, seems we allow others to take the initial depreciation hit and wait in the wings for good second-hand examples. Took months to find the right Ferrari. Took over a year to finally choose on the 06 GT (versus CL65 AMG, had to increase by budget for the Bentley). Took only days to find the right 07 GTC. Take time and find the right car for you. Seems to me the GT is your choice, now comes the time it takes to find the proper example.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 06-16-2013 at 04:57 AM.