Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Help! Engine cutting out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:52 AM
0zzy997 is on a distinguished road
Help! Engine cutting out

Hi guys,

Not a good time for the flying spur just had the suspension sorted last week, filled up at petrol station Sunday morning, drove a mile down the road and engine cut out.....

Now it starts and runs for a minuite and cuts out like its starved of fuel there's a full tank of fuel in it though,

Also changed fuel filter today,Incase it was blocked. Can't see it being the fuel pump seeing as it starts and runs for a bit.

Ran a diagnostic test it came back with

Inlet manifold leak
Bank 2 exhaust gast temp sensor short/ground

So facing the engine with bonnet open bank2 is on your right??

Any suggestions??

Regards

Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
well first thing is is to figure out inlet manifold leak,have you got a smoke machine or a can of brake keen,run engine and spray brake kleen around inlet and see if engine revs change. make sure all your intake hoses are on especially the ones by the inter cooler and then clear codes and see what is generated after two drive cycles. is the vacuum pump in left hand wheel arch buzzing all the time.also bank 2 is as you said.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks for reply bentleytech

So you think this is more of an inlet air leak issue??

Once the exhaust temp sensor is removed a
What's the best way to test it??

Regards

Old 08-30-2013, 01:55 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
the exhaust temp sensor is firstly a ***** to remove on that bank,its a throw away part so best just to replace it,we used to replace a lot of them so i don't think this is your issue. does car start straight back up after it stalls,does car just die ,if it was fuel i think you would get misfire codes as the fuel ran out cylinders would flag misfires. when it stops i need more info on how it does it,are you stationary,driving at speed etc. once you clear codes ,as soon as car stalls check for faults,can you get live data with your code reader.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Inspected all intake air pipes for leaks no leak whatsoever ,

Removed exhaust gas temp sensor on left side bank2 to inspect got a reading of 5ohms
Inspected the other side bank1 and got a reading of -5ohms

Wonder which reading is right???

Sometimes engine runs for 1 minuite before it cuts out, and some times for few minutes before it cuts out, so it's got a mind of its own,

It's weird because the engine management light doesn't come on either..

Regards

Old 09-01-2013, 11:47 PM
i would suggest jumping the fuel relays to eliminate a pump problem,there are two micro relays in trunk on left hand side,if you remove those and use a wire with spade terminus to jump the relays and then see what happens. please use the key in ignition barrel when doing all these tests.

Last edited by bentleytech; 09-01-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Subscibed

Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Ok so checked the fuel relays, once ignition on relay clicked after 20secs....

So swapped relay around and still same, dint make any difference, relay still cilicked after 20secs, and engine cut off after a minuite or so....

Any other suggestions??

How to remove rear seats to get to 2nd fuel pump could this be an issue??

Old 09-02-2013, 03:16 PM
ok,the second pump kicks in after 20 secs or so,that is normal,can you make little jumper wires to bypass relays,and also have you got any codes stored,have you got the CD with the wiring diagrams on,the relays are controlled by the ecms so jumping them will show whether it is a pump problem or what controls them. where in UK are you ?

Last edited by bentleytech; 09-02-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm in manchester ,,
Didn't get a chance to jump the relays but what I have found out is something is making the fuel pumps turn off..

When engine is about to stall if you give it direct power feed the car starts to run fine, till the pump decides to go off agin,

Just need to find out what's causing the pump to switch off.... Maybe it's a safety thing???

Just as the engine is about to stall , if you put direct power to pump it keeps the engine running ..

Regards

Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM
hi, thats what i mean when you jump relays,it seems both pumps are working fine so the next step i would do is check continuity from relay to pump .by jumping relays you would know that this is ok,but as you have done it the other way just check continuity,on relay 2 check the red/white wire ,also in the fuse box under the bonnet there is a 10amp fuse that powers relay 2,please check you have power at two terminals of the relay once removed, have you got wiring diagram . if you really get stuck i would come and help you,buts lets see how far we can get first.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I've attached image of fuse box in boot, the 2 relays marked 100 is what I swapped over .... Made no difference....

I will check the 10 amp fuse tmrw, and will try to jump the relays, I don't quite understand how to jump them....

Wiring diagrams should be with me tmrw also..

Appreciate the help so far...

Regards

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Get a piece of electrical wire and put a spade terminal on each end. Insert those into the larger terminals of the relay socket. You should here both pumps run eliminating wiring to pumps and pumps themselves But first check for power at relay 2 , you should have it in two of the terminals if not then possibly the fuse has blown in the E box fuse box

Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 AM
glad to see that once the exhaust gas temp sensor was replaced your problem was resolved.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 PM
So replaced exhaust gas temp sensor Friday morning with a genuine dealer part.... Car smooth all day Friday and most of today, until I filled up an it started stalling again

Will run diagnostic on Monday see what comes up on it.

Regard

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! Engine cutting out