Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Does DD = Less Special

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Does DD = Less Special

Just a thought to consider???? If we use the Bentley a lot for regular driving, just like a regular car, does the specialness diminish over time?

For instance I hear of guys owning the super exotics (Lambo,Ferrari, Aston, 911, R8 ect.) and only driving them on weekends or even less. I can understand that when they get the car out they feel like some special event is happening but if you drive the Bentley three to five days a week all the time will one loose that feeling? Can you get overly accustomed to a car like this? Your thoughts please?

If you live in the Bahamas doe you quit looking at the ocean?
If in the Rockies do you never see the mountain beauty?
If you married a super model would she become average?

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 12-20-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:31 AM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
I dunno Dr. D....I'll ask my better half in a year and get back to ya. I have been driving my F150 for about 4 years now and I still feel special every time when I slip behind the greasy steering wheel! If it does get mundane I may have to put hydraulics, coffee can mufflers and a rear wing on her to "bring back that lovin' feelin' ".

Robin

Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Heck no, it is always special. And I quote the great fabled inventor of chocolate delights Mr. ***** Wonka: Where is fancy bread? In the heart, or in the head?

In fact daily driving the B makes one realize just how incredible and diverse this true Grand Touring automobile truly is. To fully appreciate the many aspects Bentley designers and engineers poured into the Continental, one may want to drive their B daily and in all weather conditions. Anything less than that means you are getting far less from the car you invested within imho.

Reminds of guys who buy 'track inspired' cars yet never track their cars. Ummm, what's the point?

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 12-20-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:47 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Haha! So much to say...

I drive my favorite cars as much as possible. If I don't mind NOT driving them, they aren't that special to me.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by robinardoin
I dunno Dr. D....I'll ask my better half in a year and get back to ya. I have been driving my F150 for about 4 years now and I still feel special every time when I slip behind the greasy steering wheel! If it does get mundane I may have to put hydraulics, coffee can mufflers and a rear wing on her to "bring back that lovin' feelin' ".

Robin
Sorry Bro. but my F250 don't get me no thrill.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:59 AM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
My current DD is a v8 Audi S4 Avant. It's still a thrill after nearly 5 years. Same deal with the '98 C4S Aero I daily drove 18 months straight. Coincidentally I have a place in the Bahamas and never tire of the ocean view. When it's special, it's special.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Coincidentally I have a place in the Bahamas and never tire of the ocean view. When it's special, it's special.
Living on the water is not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that!

Old 12-23-2013, 04:51 AM
BMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud ofBMT216A has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Heck no, it is always special. And I quote the great fabled inventor of chocolate delights Mr. ***** Wonka: Where is fancy bread? In the heart, or in the head?

In fact daily driving the B makes one realize just how incredible and diverse this true Grand Touring automobile truly is. To fully appreciate the many aspects Bentley designers and engineers poured into the Continental, one may want to drive their B daily and in all weather conditions. Anything less than that means you are getting far less from the car you invested within imho.

Reminds of guys who buy 'track inspired' cars yet never track their cars. Ummm, what's the point?
Agreed! I drive it everyday because I love driving it, and that is how I want to live, doing things I love.

If by any chance a Bentley becomes my average Supermodel, to quote DD, then I know I'm doing OK.

In reality, it always makes me feel fortunate, and disinclined to complain about life's minor irritations. I've learned no one is interested in the complaints of the guy driving a Bentley to work, so you better be gracious about everything.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 AM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Dr. D. I was definitely tongue in cheek concerning the F150! I truly appreciate a well engineered device...whether it be an automobile, race car, machine tool or a surgical instrument...I am in awe every time I get to use it.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:40 PM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
Daily driver here...5 to 7 times a week. Got her in January '13 and put over 8K miles on her so far. I have done highway, city, mountain roads, race track, snow, rain, etc...and enjoyed every second of it.

Finances and other things permitting, a CGT will be my daily driver for a foreseeable future. Nothing wrong with feeling special every single day

Old 12-24-2013, 04:44 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Just a thought to consider???? If we use the Bentley a lot for regular driving, just like a regular car, does the specialness diminish over time?

For instance I hear of guys owning the super exotics (Lambo,Ferrari, Aston, 911, R8 ect.) and only driving them on weekends or even less. I can understand that when they get the car out they feel like some special event is happening but if you drive the Bentley three to five days a week all the time will one loose that feeling? Can you get overly accustomed to a car like this? Your thoughts please?

If you live in the Bahamas doe you quit looking at the ocean?
If in the Rockies do you never see the mountain beauty?
If you married a super model would she become average?
It definitely does. One time, I didn't drive the Bentley for a stretch of days for variety of reasons. When I finally got back to the car, I realized how smooth this car is.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by lilo1980
It definitely does. One time, I didn't drive the Bentley for a stretch of days for variety of reasons. When I finally got back to the car, I realized how smooth this car is.
I can see both sides of the issue but there is some reason we have saying like "familiarity breeds contempt" and "absence makes the heart grow fonder". Well to each his own and i can definitely say i am not tired of my car.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
I think a DD will end up killing the specialness or exoticness of a car. I don't DD my 458, but I have driven it a bit (10,600 miles on it now) and sure, its fun and with all my mods, it is attention grabbing so its also fun in that regard but at the end of the day now -- it's not really all that special anymore, and it (plus my previous Ferrari California) seems to also have killed a lot of the "specialness" or "exotic" factor for other $300-$400K cars for me as well now... just another normal car, albeit a really good one.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Fantasma
I think a DD will end up killing the specialness or exoticness of a car. I don't DD my 458, but I have driven it a bit (10,600 miles on it now) and sure, its fun and with all my mods, it is attention grabbing so its also fun in that regard but at the end of the day now -- it's not really all that special anymore, and it (plus my previous Ferrari California) seems to also have killed a lot of the "specialness" or "exotic" factor for other $300-$400K cars for me as well now... just another normal car, albeit a really good one.
Once your at the top there is nothing left to do but start over. Go out buy a used Ford Pinto and work you way back up.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 AM
NineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the roughNineEreven is a jewel in the rough
I might be the only one here to say it but kinda...

I mean I don't drive a bentley everyday... but there is something about driving a car because you WANT TO or its an occassion versus because you HAVE TO like say go grab a pizza or something. I don't drive my 911 everyday because I get 20 times more excited about driving it then, and I do absorb every moment when I am in it.

This is the longest stint I have gone without driving my car and I can hardly take it. I am going to feel like im driving it again for the first time when I finally bust it out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does DD = Less Special