Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

iPod cable (red vs. black)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:57 PM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
iPod cable (red vs. black)

This question is for people that use Apple devices with a media cable located in the glovebox. I have to use an iPod because I need an ability to browse music by artist, album, etc. I think SD card and internal hard drive provide this functionality as well, but SD card is limited to a max of 32GB and hard drive I believe has even less space.

When I had my previous car (MY2011), I used a 5th gen iPod (upgraded the hard drive in it to 256GB) and all was well. When I tried the same iPod with my 2014 car, I got a message it was not supported. Then I made a mistake of assuming that 5th gen iPods were simply too old and I needed a newer version. Got the latest (6th gen) iPod on eBay, upgraded hard drive in it, plugged it in and got the same "accessory not supported" message. That's when I checked the Bentley's web site at http://musiccompatibility.bentleymotors.com/ and saw that both 5th gen and 6th gen iPods are supported, but I seem to have a wrong cable (I checked my car and discovered it has a "red" one and looks like I need a "black" one). By "red" cable Bentley really means a cable that has a red band on it on the end that connects to the car. See attached screenshot.

Can you guys chime in and let me know whether your cars have a you are using? I already spent a lot of hours trying to get this work and getting tired of it.

I also looked at VW web site and they seem to have the same two types of cables: http://www.parts.vw.com/vwparts/inde...atalogid%3D200

Old 03-31-2015, 06:51 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
I have the black cable in my MY07 and as far as I can see it's not interchangeable.