Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

My GT re-build in pictures !!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:41 AM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ExSF
A good opportunity to check the vac air hoses on top of the gearbox.
Coming on well.

Les.
Hello Les. What would the failure be if the hose is cracked? How would you know if it has failed? Would there be a harsh shift problem or delayed shift?

Old 11-22-2016, 07:26 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Ron.

The only indication noticeable is a slightly rough idle, at least on mine it was and only after the mechanic mentioned it, otherwise I wouldn't have known.
It didn't seem to affect the car and I didn't get any warnings.

I wouldn't mind betting that there are plenty of Conti's out there with this problem.

Les.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:08 AM
Hi Ron.

The only indication noticeable is a slightly rough idle, at least on mine it was and only after the mechanic mentioned it, otherwise I wouldn't have known.
It didn't seem to affect the car and I didn't get any warnings.

I wouldn't mind betting that there are plenty of Conti's out there with this problem.

Les.
Thank you Les for the quick response. I have a 2008 Conti GT Speed with 26000 on the speed O. I do not notice any rough idle at this time. Fingers crossed!! I wonder if anyone has installed a vacuum gauge on the engine to see if at idle there is a low vacuum indicating a possible leak? I do not know what a normal vac would be on the turbo 12 maybe 14-15 inches? It would be great if it were around the 20s.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:21 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
On a positive note Ron, the later cars are 'supposed' to be less prone to this fault.

Les.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:08 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
On a positive note Ron, the later cars are 'supposed' to be less prone to this fault.
As i recall, they ran the hose by the tire well instead of atop the transmission for ease of servicing.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:52 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rons GT Speed
Thank you Les for the quick response. I have a 2008 Conti GT Speed with 26000 on the speed O. I do not notice any rough idle at this time. Fingers crossed!! I wonder if anyone has installed a vacuum gauge on the engine to see if at idle there is a low vacuum indicating a possible leak? I do not know what a normal vac would be on the turbo 12 maybe 14-15 inches? It would be great if it were around the 20s.
I believe the quickest way to check for the leak is to do a comprehensive smoke test. There are a number of threads on this approach both on the internet and within this forum.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:08 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PMS
I believe the quickest way to check for the leak is to do a comprehensive smoke test. There are a number of threads on this approach both on the internet and within this forum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiSaUcqewDg
Thank you PMS for FYI post. I will use it in the future.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
I am still working at it....😭

Hello All,
Thank you All for the latest comments, I have been busy with life so not on the B as I should be, but I did fly to Tennessee and picked up a rental truck and drove to Kentucky where I picked up 2 Engines and 2 Transmissions so now I have a 2014 W12 TT, a 2007 W12 TT, a 2014 8 speed 8HP-90, and a transmission for a Mulsanne, I think, have to run those numbers for the last trans.

So here is where I am at, being I want to put the 2014 engine into my vehicle and I've come across many different things that have changed over the years even though the basic W12 is still the same, they did change many things, and I thank Jason New York Bentley Tech who gave me some pointers, the 2007 mid-year and forward did away with electronic thermostat controller, also 2007 forward did away with electronic motor mounts, also on the 2014 they change the actual plugs that plug into the ECU's and into the vehicle itself on the end of the engine harness, all totally different plugs so they do not fit anything below I believe a 2011, so there's that, then on the 2014 engine they also changed the size of the cam position sensors and the plugs themselves, that started somewhere in 2007 models, they also changed on the 2014 the plugs on two of the four VVT's and actually changed the actual size of the solenoids of the VVT's that go into the head, so the size of the bore in the head will not except the earlier VVT solenoids with the 2007 size plug end, also on the 2014 there are no longer any sensors on the bottom of the turbo chargers were the diaphragms that open the waste gates those are gone, but what is odd when I took the sensors off the bottom of the turbo chargers on the 04, 05, 06, and 07 that are held on by 2 nuts on the 2 studs, thats all they do is sit flush on the diaphragm housing, they actually do not go anywhere inside the diaphragms, so I will find a way to affix those on to the 2014 turbos, so what I have done instead of destroying a brand new 2014 wiring harness by cutting everything off where it go to the ecu's and the body of the car, I took a 2007 harness and I am retrofitting all the actual plug connectors, pins, water tight fittings, everything that belongs to fit a 2014 engine on to the 2007 harness without cutting anything, but instead replacing the actual pins to the proper sizes and the proper plugs on the end to fit all the sensors and VVT'S and everything required on the 2014 engine, it is a learning process and boy am I learning....

And a few of the sights on the way home !

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 11-28-2016 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-29-2016, 05:44 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, thanks for the very valuable info and pics!!!

Old 11-29-2016, 06:39 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Johnny when you are going to open up a Bentley workshop?

J

Old 12-12-2016, 03:26 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Wow. You should seriously open your own workshop. I doubt most Bentley techs have as much in-depth hands-on knowlege of the car as you do now.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:22 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
Monumental Project

Feb 10 2017 1:15am
Hello Johnny....mostly due to my computer illiteracy I have only seen a very small percent of your pictures, until now...yours is the most ambitious and complicated project. I can't even understand how you were able to take upholstery apart. What little experience I have had, every fastening method is hidden....how did you figure it out without destroying panels....I am now in process of going over ALL your pictures and will get back to you...JimB

Old 02-11-2017, 06:34 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
Sat Feb 11 2017 5:15am Hello Johnny
At risk of appearing clueless I have to ask....from very first picture I see the grey car with red interior. The interior seems normal. This is the 2005 water damaged car, right? Your objective was to strip this car to bare bones, take out complete red interior, replace with seat frames and under padding from other car that you covered with original red leather....for most of us out here trying to follow your seemingly impossible adventure...could you please summarize the what and why behind this amazing project...and just a question...what the hell are electronic motor mounts...JimB

Old 02-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Spent some more time on this beauty !

I did some drivers seat foam surgery, changed out the tan seatbelt for the red belt, there is a cam lobe on the seatbelt roller, the vise grips hold the roller from spinning and losing all tension, OH the joy it was doing the seatbelt, I stabbed myself in the finger with a flathead, at least a Phillips would have pierced the skin a little nicer, that's why you will see me wearing gloves after some gauze and electrical tape repair to my finger, I can not wait to do the passenger side........

I transferred the leather from the old to the replacement seat rail trim, 2005 is different from 2007, the latter having a chrome finish plastic trim added, along with different profile.

Also some have called what looks like a speaker grill just that, "speaker cover", although there is no speaker there, it is the upper center vent for the HVAC.

Now back to some yard work....

Enjoy the Pictures.

I think the yard work is your mind set for relaxation? I know when I am in a project it helps clear for the continuation of the real project. You deserve the trophy for the best built home project. I cannot believe the extent of your involvement or determination to continue such an large scale project. I rebuild a 1971 Detomaso Pantera ground up and will not do that again. But now complete fun to drive and enjoy. I hope your project leaves you with the same conclusion. Enjoy while your are young. LOL

Thanks for the posts. Ron

Old 02-11-2017, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't bother. I would be out in that gorgeous SS Camaro you've got in the garage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: My GT re-build in pictures !!