Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Are All Conti GTCs nightmares?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:05 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
when you say you spend 5000 something a year...what is that in us dollars...sounds like a lot...what is being done on car...i have 2010 speed....now it doesn't cost very much to maintain...of course we do a set of tires at 15,000 miles... jim b

Old 01-24-2017, 08:09 AM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
it's 5000 Euros (about 5400 USD).
well, considering the fact that I did 44000 miles in 2 years I don't find the 10 000 Euro I spent on the car to be abnormal.
don't forget that the car has to go to bentley every 10000 miles....

if you exclude the 2600 Euros I spent on 2 sets of tires we are down to 7400 Euros, meaning an average of 1850 Euros for each trip to the dealer.not that bad, really.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:30 AM
Hello from San Francisco...boy 44,000 in 2 years, you really travel...here in City we can never use the Bentley because of terrible parking/traffic situation...we do take her out for a run up our beautiful coast on a nice day but that is usually 100 miles round trip...I have a great little Volvo C30 for around town and my wife has a Lexus for her 1000 mile round trips to Los Angeles for family business...we have 20,000 miles on Bentley since new Nov 2009...
Do you have your Bentley valet parked? I have never let anyone behind the wheel on mine except my wife. I even wash car myself...I am 85 not 71 JimB

Old 01-24-2017, 10:41 AM
aleventhal is on a distinguished road
130k miles on mine, no nightmares so far...just regular maintenance...fingers crossed for the future!

Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 PM
...aleventhal....what year and model do you have...how much of 130k have you put on car..how often do you visit dealer and how does that go...jim b

Old 01-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Daniel Clohessy is an unknown quantity at this point
Last October I picked up an '09 GTC Speed with CPO that has just rolled 40k miles and have had the following issues:

Right side-view mirror glass went bad
Naim amplifier
Right rear treble and bass speaker went bad
Top problems, since it was dropped off, it opened and closed twice

The entire top now has to be replaced under warranty as it seems there is a permanent problem with it causing breaks in its metal innards.

Prior to me purchasing the car, it had a new battery, brakes, control arms, and top outer skin installed by the dealer.

I would not buy one without a warranty as I'd be out tens of thousands for all the repairs. Other than that it is a pleasure to drive and since Bentley is paying the repairs I don't mind, although it really ticks me off that I even have these problems on a certified car.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 AM
....Hello Daniel...you have had more than your share....I don't know if problems are inherent in a convertible, but I do suspect that is the case...I would buy a used car if it was one (1) owner, low mileage and could verify total history...there are a lot of unethical (dishonest) people out there...I hope you have sorted all issues and have good ride from here forward...JimB

Old 01-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Daniel Clohessy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jim2331
....Hello Daniel...you have had more than your share....I don't know if problems are inherent in a convertible, but I do suspect that is the case...I would buy a used car if it was one (1) owner, low mileage and could verify total history...there are a lot of unethical (dishonest) people out there...I hope you have sorted all issues and have good ride from here forward...JimB
Thanks for the condolences, I love the car but the top having to get replaced as soon as I bought it is a disappointment as I expected better from a Bentley dealership. Hopefully I will have a top the opens and closes reliably for the nice weather.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:45 PM
....the key phrase "I expected better from Bentley dealership" ... anyone can fool me once, twice, I am the fool...comes to mind My experience over many years with various dealers...VW, BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lexus and Bentley have a common thread...Caveat Emptor....I quote directly from the small print one signes at Bentley dealer " Our charges for labor are not based on actual mechanic's time"...JimB

Old 01-26-2017, 11:15 AM
...aleventhal....what year and model do you have...how much of 130k have you put on car..how often do you visit dealer and how does that go...jim b
Jim:

My car is a 2005 Continental GT. I'm the second owner, bought the car from Bentley San Francisco, who sold it new and took it back on trade and then sold it to me. I've had the car for ~7 years and the vast majority of the miles are mine.

Service has been pretty much a non-issue. Headliner was replaced under warranty not long after I got the car. Other than that, nothing much has gone wrong. Just do the regular service every 10k. Almost no unscheduled visits, although I did just have one for front brake pads (no big deal).

This car is my daily driver (and my wife has a 2014 w12 Spur as hers). Both cars get 4 snow tires and see use all winter and in all weather. So far, both have been as good as any other high end car.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-26-2017, 01:02 PM
...what color is your car...I picked up a black one overnight to test...from same dealer, but returned it directly because it was to ragged...JimB

Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 PM
...what color is your car...I picked up a black one overnight to test...from same dealer, but returned it directly because it was to ragged...JimB
Mine is black / black with dark burr walnut, but almost certainly not the one you borrowed as mine is decidedly not "ragged".

Old 01-26-2017, 08:33 PM
...I am glad this one I took on loan with possible buy in mind is not yours. My point is that this beautiful looking black Bentley GTC was featured on the sales floor under lights, so for sure they were holding it out as a certified pre owned car. Driving down California St. (Hilly and bumpy), it shaked, rattled and rolled also there was a nick in the trim by the gear shift.
I brought the clunker back the next day and bought my wife a new GTC that matched mine in color etc. but that is another story...JimB

Old 01-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
Cannot resist posting this:

With "German" car ownership, the key to reliability is always leaving one thing broken. Because once you fix whatever is wrong, something else will always break in its place. The trick is leaving something broken that doesn't bother you too much but is substantial enough to appease the German Car Gods of reliability."

Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zaos
Cannot resist posting this:

With "German" car ownership, the key to reliability is always leaving one thing broken. Because once you fix whatever is wrong, something else will always break in its place. The trick is leaving something broken that doesn't bother you too much but is substantial enough to appease the German Car Gods of reliability."
no,no, you're wrong...

you forgot that the car is assembled and finished in CREW, I think that the british are so angry about Bentley being bought by the germans that they insert all sort of gremlins aboard....

the truth is the GT is the british version of a trojan horse!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are All Conti GTCs nightmares?