Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Serpentine belt tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:50 AM
MerryMicrobe is infamous around these parts
Serpentine belt tensioner replacement

Does anyone know how to replace a Bentley continental GT serpentine belt tensioner, specifically on a 2013 model if different from older GTs?

Old 06-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
W12 or V8? May I also ask why? If by chance you are chasing a bearing noise 99% of the time it's the bank two deflection pulley.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Swflbt23
W12 or V8? May I also ask why? If by chance you are chasing a bearing noise 99% of the time it's the bank two deflection pulley.
It is a 2013 GTC W12.

The engine makes a noise for about 30 seconds when it hasn't been started for a day or two. After I start it and then I start it later in the day, it doesn't make the noise like it did earlier in the day.

If it is the "bank two deflection pulley", can you tell me how it is repaired? Do you have to remove the engine?

Thank you so much for your response,
The MerryMicrobe

Old 06-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
most of the time when the deflection pulley fails the bearing makes a whining noise all of the time that will increase and decrease with RPM kinda sounds like a cheap supercharger if that makes sense. easiest way to find this noise is to use a mechanics stethoscope and touch each pulley while the vehicle runs. could you describe the noise you have? does it sound like a fan or is it a knocking sound? should you find it is a pulley you have to remove the lower grills and remove the T25 torx screws on both sides of the radiator matrix. remove the screws along the top row and remove the main grill. this will expose the front end plate. remove all T30 torx bolts and set aside. you will then have to remove the air box feed pipes and the secondary air hoses. sometimes you have to remove the upper radiator hose to access the drive pulleys. you will need either a 30 or 32mm wrench to relieve the tension from the belt. after the belt is off hold with a bungie cord so it doesn't slip off of the other pulleys you aren't servicing it can be a real pain to put back on. i hope this helps. i don't have a car here at the shop to take pictures or i would add those in. but before you take it apart i advise you find the noise and be certain as you may give yourself a headache for no reason.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Could you describe the noise you have? does it sound like a fan or is it a knocking sound?
It starts off with a high pitched sound for a few seconds after which it makes a washing machine sound for the remainder of approximately 30 seconds (I don't think it is a knocking sound). It does not continue after the 30 seconds or on subsequent starting later in the day.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:28 PM
It's tough without being able to hear it. But given the time you hear it I'd honestly question the secondary air this system only runs when the vehicle is first started and the engine is cold. It could still be a pulley like you suggested but my experience with these engines the bearing makes the noise all of the time. Do you have an assistant who can start the car while your under the hood pin pointing the noise? Just FYI SAI pumps are in the lower right corner of the bumper.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:49 AM
It's tough without being able to hear it.
Actually my GTC is in San Antonio (I live in Kemah, TX which is near Houston) at RS1Motorworks getting what I call a refresh. That is what you would call a restoration if it was an older car. So I don't have access to it right now. I will probably get a report from them today. Stay tuned.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 PM
jim2331 is infamous around these parts
....what was final determination of your intermittent starting noise...JimB

Old 10-13-2020, 04:34 PM
EJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud of
This sounds like an issue I just noticed on my 2012. Mine sounds like a squeeking pulley. I am really hoping it is the tensioner or one of the idler pulleys. Can these be reached without disassembling the front end? Just picked it up this past Saturday in MI and, of course, it wasn't making the noise then. However, after the 500 mile drive home to MD there is a nice little chirping noise coming from the front end at idle. Definitely mechanical.