Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley GT suspension ride height

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:43 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Samhain
The wheel height sensors have a little arm lever connected to a suspension arm at all four corners. Sometimes the lever arm will physically break, and the sensor will be unable to accurately measure the ride height resulting in a fault code. You may want to check them to see if any have broken. Ones in the front are a pretty easy swap out. Never done one on the rear suspension.
Will do!!!

Edit
I'm still on it. Been working as usual. I did clear the codes and run it with the engine in acc yes the codes were still there. I’m still dropping it off Saturday and going on vacation so when I come back I’ll reply what the dealer said.

Last edited by TeamJones1962; 10-01-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:44 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Just a small update. Audi called and said they found some missing bolts (didn’t tell me where) and that my sway bar bushings need replacing. Mind you I just changed the upper and lower control arms, sway bar links and outter tie rod ends. Guess he saw all that and couldn’t find anything else to use 🤣.

If you do front end work and need to have your ride height adjustment done, do not use Audi because they told me they don’t have the equipment to do it. Yea I know it sounds like a bunch of b.s but just telling y’all what I was told.

Last edited by TeamJones1962; 05-09-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
Sorry for jack up the thread..
but my rear right is about 5mm highter than the rear left.. I try many way even to enter the higher number but it doesn't lower...
anyone can help please

Old 10-23-2019, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang
Sorry for jack up the thread..
but my rear right is about 5mm highter than the rear left.. I try many way even to enter the higher number but it doesn't lower...
anyone can help please
Check your ride height links. See if one of the rears is broke or bent.

Last edited by TeamJones1962; 02-25-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Do what TJ said, BUT, I had the same issue some years back when I used my Ross-Tech to lower my A8l W12, the 4th input would not take, someone on AudiWorld told me to bounce that corner and try the input again, it worked.

Johnny

Old 10-24-2019, 02:52 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
I rock the car around and even input the value for the Rear Left Strut higher but it doesn't lower? which I don't know why...
If I enter the measuring block it actually said the car balance while the number only 1mm diffirent from each size but actually it much higher 3 to 5mm..
I don't have any suspension bent check the link arm they all correct..hizz

one more thing..
I'm trying to lower the car by coding but it doesn't accept it.. only 005531 which come from the car is ok

Old 02-25-2020, 07:38 AM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Texas Bob
It will not let you go to channel 5 until you have successfully finished 123 and four. Perhaps the measurement you are putting in at channel 4 is too large. You could also look at the measurement block area to verify you are actually getting data from channel 4.

Every time you failed to reach channel 5 and Store a 1 you have to start completely over

It took me two days to figure out mine. My problem turned out to be that the soft code number was missing the proper digit for my car "flying Spur" I could not enter the soft code reference in the article on this chat room
However my version of V--- Provided a drop-down window that explained the function of each digit in the soft code once I corrected the next to the last digit (changed the 5 to 3)
Then I got channel 5 to function. And I was able enter 1for channel 5 to store my calibration results. Critical to verify you were actually getting data from channel 4
GOOD LUCK
I'm currently going through this seemingly same-same learning curve with VCDS per adjusting the ride height on my '07GT and at this point I'm stuck at the same spot with getting to channel 5 resulting in "error"... I couldn't enter 1 for ch. 5 to store the calibration results. I'm new at this: I got the VCDS system a year ago and at that time employed the services of an experienced area mechanic to take the lead on setting the ride height, and he sort-of knew what he was doing, but really didn't... so I shelved the project then and am now (starting yesterday) tackling it myself. I cleared a lot of learning curve hurtles yesterday, but am seemingly stuck on ch. 5. Today I'm fixing on trying 5mm changes at a time and see what. My front shocks are currently at about 385mm, and the rears are at about 410 (and the vehicle's shock control is in limp mode as it's been as long as I've owned the vehicle). If I understand correctly, the ride height for all 4 channels should all be at about 395mm. I've read Zaos' explanation (as well as many others) repeatedly. I don't yet understand Zoas' explanation of "Changing the coding (for example: from xxx77xx to xxx55xx)"... I haven't yet found an explanation about what, where, how concerning "the coding" subject.

Near as I can determine "now" everything seems to be copesetic with the shock control system. When I first acquired the vehicle the LF (ch1) height sensor's link rod was missing (which I replaced) and the LR (ch3) sensor's link rod's mount on the suspension was missing it's attachment bolt... the link rod was dangling from the sensor, so I bolted that mount to it's respective place. I believe resetting the height is seemingly what's remaining to be done to finish this project, with the understanding VCDS won't go to ch. 5 inputting of a "1" to save changes unless everything involved to getting to that point is correct... and my novice blundering with the VCDS system is only partially compete thru the learning curve.

Last edited by W. M. Hellinger; 02-25-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
I'm currently going through this seemingly same-same learning curve with VCDS per adjusting the ride height on my '07GT and at this point I'm stuck at the same spot with getting to channel 5 resulting in "error"... I couldn't enter 1 for ch. 5 to store the calibration results. I'm new at this: I got the VCDS system a year ago and at that time employed the services of an experienced area mechanic to take the lead on setting the ride height, and he sort-of knew what he was doing, but really didn't... so I shelved the project then and am now (starting yesterday) tackling it myself. I cleared a lot of learning curve hurtles yesterday, but am seemingly stuck on ch. 5. Today I'm fixing on trying 5mm changes at a time and see what. My front shocks are currently at about 385mm, and the rears are at about 410 (and the vehicle's shock control is in limp mode as it's been as long as I've owned the vehicle). If I understand correctly, the ride height for all 4 channels should all be at about 395mm. I've read Zaos' explanation (as well as many others) repeatedly. I don't yet understand Zoas' explanation of "Changing the coding (for example: from xxx77xx to xxx55xx)"... I haven't yet found an explanation about what, where, how concerning "the coding" subject.

Near as I can determine "now" everything seems to be copesetic with the shock control system. When I first acquired the vehicle the LF (ch1) height sensor's link rod was missing (which I replaced) and the LR (ch3) sensor's link rod's mount on the suspension was missing it's attachment bolt... the link rod was dangling from the sensor, so I bolted that mount to it's respective place. I believe resetting the height is seemingly what's remaining to be done to finish this project, with the understanding VCDS won't go to ch. 5 inputting of a "1" to save changes unless everything involved to getting to that point is correct... and my novice blundering with the VCDS system is only partially compete thru the learning curve.
I was basically in the same boat. I finally said screw it, took it to Bentley and let them sort it out. Maybe if you get in good with the mechanic that works on your car (if you give up and take it in) he will tell you exactly what he did.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by TeamJones1962
I was basically in the same boat. I finally said screw it, took it to Bentley and let them sort it out. Maybe if you get in good with the mechanic that works on your car (if you give up and take it in) he will tell you exactly what he did.
I believe I figured it out... "happy dance time". I got through into ch. 5, and was able to put in "1" and it took... resulting in the ride height limp mode clearing and such. After much staying on task, I got 3 of the 4 channels dead-on: 395mm in-front and 394mm on ch. 4 (right-rear)… ch. 3 (left-rear) I could only get as close as 392mm, but I left well enough alone there for now. There's seemingly some tricks to the trade, most notably: Be patient... which worked out well as my shop was in dire need of tidying-up... so I did a round of measurements and inputs to VCDS, and then let it do it's thing for awhile while I tried to find some more of my shop's bench surfaces. I found that adjusting any one channel changed the height of the other channels... so you gotta go around on it a few time. I made all sorts of mistakes that nobody (that I found) includes on their tutorial videos... and one that really threw me for a loop was the channel assignments, being ch. 3 is the left rear, and ch. 4 is the right rear... I was just going around clockwise from ch. 1 (left front), and ending up at the left-rear as ch. 4... and in doing so... well, it's like inadvertently swapping sides with the electric blanket controllers. Yes, I didn't read and follow instructions completely enough on the channel assignments... I just went around the car like I was training tire pressure sensors on a Corvette. Once I sorted out that blunder, things went much better. Another trick of the trade that got me through ch. 5 was making finer adjustments of 5mm increments... Initially (yesterday) I was making 20+mm adjustments, and that don't work. I'm guessing VCDS has an idiot-proof threshold on adjustment inputs so one can't input some blunder quantity. After I got done patting myself on my back this afternoon for a job seeming well done, I drove the vehicle around the block (about 10 miles) over some pretty lumpy roads (ok, so that's nothing out of the ordinary, all the roads locally are pretty lumpy)… and the ride heights are all staying dead-on per my final adjustments and there's no fault returning in the DIC. I don't know if those ride height sensors are variable resistors or similar, but I sense that if one adjusts to positions that haven't been used for "quite awhile", maybe there's some oxidation on the resistor film or something because it seemed like my input value changes and the results danced around some... had a hard time taking accurately initially while the vehicle was static in the shop... and test drives in-between adjustments seemed to have help a bunch.

Last edited by W. M. Hellinger; 02-25-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:50 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
The "normal" ride height default setting on my 2008 is low. Manually it can be adjusted to "high". But once the car travels at 75 mph again it returns to low. Is there a way to override that?

In my area the gutters are quite deep and if the car is down low the nose can scrape when driving through a gutter. So I like to keep the ride height on high. The speed limit through town is 70 mph and it is often possible to hit 75 and the car auto lowers. Once I did not remember to raise it again and while parking bashed the nose into a curb doing damage.

I think my preference would be to make a change so the car did not auto lower until it hits 80 mph. If that cannot be done the other option would be to make high the default and still be able to lower the car manually using the console controls. If either of these is possible how can it be done/

Old 03-06-2020, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by MrVette
The "normal" ride height default setting on my 2008 is low. Manually it can be adjusted to "high". But once the car travels at 75 mph again it returns to low. Is there a way to override that?
I recall reading somewhere, maybe in the operator's manual, the vehicle dropping in height from the high position at high speed is a safety feature. If-so, I suspect defeating an intentional safety feature like this would be by-design not within the realm of reasonably doable for the consumer (that setting is likely hardwired into the vehicle's brain). However, I'll suggest setting the "raise aerofoil" speed (done via the steering wheel controls as I recall) to match the 75mph "lower ride height" could help as a poignant reminder the vehicle decided to lower itself.

It's interesting your vehicle's "normal" ride height is not the normal position, but rather is the low position... that seems odd... and maybe there's a fix/set-up adjustment for that?

Old 03-06-2020, 12:28 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
I got zapped again today. Not knowing my car was low/normal I scrapped the underside of the front bumper coming out of a petrol station.

I will investigate resetting the wing to come up at 75. Don't recall how to do that but I did set it years ago for 80 mph.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by MrVette
I got zapped again today. Not knowing my car was low/normal I scrapped the underside of the front bumper coming out of a petrol station.

I will investigate resetting the wing to come up at 75. Don't recall how to do that but I did set it years ago for 80 mph.
I don't have my owner's manual near-by, but as I recall that selection is accessed with the lower right side steering wheel menu button and use the scroll wheel below the button to get to the appropriate screen on the DIC.

FWIW: The aerofoil on my GT doesn't work, and I don't much care other than the annoying light on the dash. And most of our local roads that pass for "highways" (with the locals anyway) have 50mph speed limits (for a good reason)… so I very rarely get in the speed realm where my aerofoil would pop-up even if it did work... but I have my "Speed Warning" set at 70mph... and on the very rare occasion that I'm actually traveling on land at that terrifying speed and my "Speed Warning" comes on the screen with all it's bells and whistles... it definitely gets my attention.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:06 AM
fongliang is an unknown quantity at this point
hi
i have issue with my 2011 bentley flying spur
I had just replaced the self leveling sensor recently and the readings are not accurate
Need advice

Thanks

Address 34: Level Control (3W5 907 553 )

13:33:05 Group 004: Deviation from Nominal Vehicle Height
49.0 mm Left Front Height Deviation
-118.0 mm Right Front Height Deviation
-87.0 mm Left Rear Height Deviation
-98.0 mm Right Rear Height Deviation

13:33:05 Group 004: Deviation from Nominal Vehicle Height
49.0 mm Left Front Height Deviation
-118.0 mm Right Front Height Deviation
-87.0 mm Left Rear Height Deviation
-98.0 mm Right Rear Height Deviation

Old 06-02-2020, 08:08 AM
fongliang is an unknown quantity at this point

I wanted to do a new settings but unable to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bentley GT suspension ride height