Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Pulled my Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello Zaos,
How about the two hoses on the right side wheel well (passenger), did you catch them before, or after a little stretching..... ?
Hehe, indeed I caught them while lifting the chassis. If I wasn't careful, I could ripped them.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:53 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....Thanks again for your help...Question...how many man hours do you estimate it took to get engine out....not counting the extraordinary installation of the lift....another question....I see that you use VCDS Ross-Tech tool...now don't laugh...could a rank novice like me find any value and could I learn how to put it to good use....JimB

Old 02-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
Jim,
I would guess 10 hours or so.
RossTech is doing an excellent job with their tool and it is much easier to use than my Autel DS708 MaxiDAS, because it comes with complete help menus and programming suggestions built in to the software. RossTech is excellent for anyone with VAG

Cheers,,
~ZaOs~

Old 02-01-2017, 02:28 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rons GT Speed
Zaos, great job on the removal. It looks very complicated. I guess there is no short cut to accessing the vacuum lines. I look forward to seeing how they are routed on top of the trans area. Thank you for the pictures and sharing your experience during the removal
Ron
Here is a picture of the transmission top vacuum plumbing. I took this recently when a local 05 BCGT had the engine out. I have more shots from different angles if you would like to see.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160726_142306.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	781.6 KB
ID:	468898  
Old 02-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Had a look today on the vacuum lines on top of the transmission and they were all cracked:

Last edited by Zaos; 02-01-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: timelimit
Old 02-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Some more Engine Pics here

Old 02-03-2017, 06:47 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Am curious what is making these OEM hoses consistently crack? Bentley just replaces them with like-hoses made of rubber and not a full redo with a better system. Is the problem the lack of quality of the OEM (circa 2006-ish) plastic formulation, hoses too small for the junction, too much heat in that area, or ????

Old 02-03-2017, 09:28 AM
....Zaos....The pictures both you and Johnny provide are so valuable. The set up you have in your garage is extraordinary. It is apparent that the modern car and in particular the Bentley is amazing engineering and very complicated. When I got my 10Speed new the dealer wanted to give me an hour tutorial on how to operate all the bells/whistles. Knowing I would not remember any of it, I told him to just show me how to start the car...to this day I have never used the computer map thing, never ever have used the automatic speed thing, never had trans it in "Sport" mode, only had it up to 180 once (funny story)...never use car here in City....never let anyone other than my wife drive it...always wash car myself...I just enjoy the hell out of car going either up or down our beautiful Coast Road (RT1)....
What I am getting at is the car bits and pieces are very complicated...very few people are like you and Johnny (outside of those factory trained) who are ballsy enough to take a Bentley apart and get it back together (right) again...More Good on Ya...JimB

Old 02-04-2017, 03:21 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
My Indie did tell me that the new hoses were upgraded from the original spec'.
Fingers crossed.

Les.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Some progress. Changed serpentine belt, spark plugs, and fixed the vacuum hoses on the engine....

Changing the serpentine belt is easy, when the engine is out. Notice, you need a BFW (Big Fk*n Wrench) to turn the tensioner.....

imagine how hard this would be if you don't remove the radiator assembly first.....

Old 02-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Time for spark plug change. Takes some time, but super easy when the engine out.....

Need the plenum removed first to change spark plugs

Make sure you blow out the holes with compressed air before removing the plugs. There is a lot of dirt down there

Last edited by Zaos; 02-05-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Now its time for fixing the vacuum lines. Thanx Johnny for the offer with your extra lines, but I am in a hurry getting this done, so I made my own. It was a real pain to make, but turned out OK....

Got me some hose and steel brake lines

Bend to fit exactly to the original crap hoses

Meassuring up

Installing

All done. It was a pain, but never again am I going to have cracked vacuum hoses

Old 02-05-2017, 03:57 AM
....Zaos...following your project with great interest...can you show picture of motor mounting points...are there any pins to guide into place...how many mounting points are there, including transmission....does motor have to be mounted from beneath car as against being pushed in from front...where are the vacuum motors that feed the system....how would you rate the harshness of environment in Denver area (salt roads) compared to moderate California (not including our mountain areas) Here in San Francisco a concern in back of mind is how to deal with building failure when the overdue big one hits...JimB

Old 02-05-2017, 07:33 AM
tarnow1942 is an unknown quantity at this point
Zaos,great job. I suppose when the engine is out its better to do the starter and O2 sensors at the same time.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Here are some more updates. Today, I fixed the vacuum hoses behind the steering rack on the firewall.

Hard to see , but hoses are split here too. Seems like they like to split on these nut looking tees, both on top of the tranny and here.

Everything fixed now

Fixed

Time for another smoke test Everything is good and never vacuum leaks again here

This is what the plastic lines behind the steering rack looks like

Last edited by Zaos; 02-05-2017 at 04:03 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Pulled my Engine