Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2008 GT nav system update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 04:11 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
2008 GT nav system update

I would like to update the maps in my nav system. Sometime back the word was there were BMW discs you could buy on ebay to do the trick. When I was about to purchase them another post said they won't work.

So now that the dust has had tome to settle I'd like to know what to buy. What's the latest on this effort?

I'm not certain, since the owner's manual doesn't provide any clues, but I believe my car does not require very many discs. I gather older cars need a lot of discs to load the maps.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MrVette
I would like to update the maps in my nav system. Sometime back the word was there were BMW discs you could buy on ebay to do the trick. When I was about to purchase them another post said they won't work.

So now that the dust has had tome to settle I'd like to know what to buy. What's the latest on this effort?

I'm not certain, since the owner's manual doesn't provide any clues, but I believe my car does not require very many discs. I gather older cars need a lot of discs to load the maps.
MrVett
I looked into updating my 2008 2 years ago and read that it is not worth it. I did find several cheap DVDs on eBay. The current 2008 disc is slow and lacks detail and accuracy. Reading about the later models nothing had changed for quality and accuracy. The cell phone GPS works great and is all that is needed plus being very accurate. I also use a Garmin GPS for long trips.
I look forward to hearing about your findings.
Ron

Old 04-30-2017, 05:29 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I never bother with the Bentley Sat Nav. Google maps is far superior over here in Europe.

Les.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:25 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
BMW High DVD works.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:14 PM
WelshBentleyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
My 2002 Arnage T had an Alpine Nve 99 system that they stopped updating a few years ago when a new disc cost about £200!!.
I have updated mine to an Alpine NVE 300p which is retrospectively compatible. The only problem is that when you update the maps at about £50 via a USB stick the remote control which uses the same USB connection cannot select the options to update. So far Alpine support have been brilliant and updated it for me.I am waiting to hear if it is possible to plug the remote and the memory stick into the same USB port via a hub. I can plug several USB devices into my computer via one port so it should work and stop me needing to contact Alpine! I will keep you posted.
Paul

Old 05-01-2017, 08:54 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
...old maps are practically free and are about infallible...you can get all Europe, all United States...I even have Africa...trouble free and fit anywhere in car, especially glove box...the journey is the thing...

Old 05-01-2017, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by jim2331
...old maps are practically free and are about infallible...you can get all Europe, all United States...I even have Africa...trouble free and fit anywhere in car, especially glove box...the journey is the thing...
Thanks Jim but I feel that a failure to embrace technology is not a virtue. I would challenge you to successfully negotiate the Paris peripherique with a set of maps! With a set of maps you either need a great deal of pre planning or a competent navigator.
Luddites have never survived in the past !!
Paul

Old 05-01-2017, 12:43 PM
....Would you rather have a London Taxi Driver trained in the Knowledge or an Uber driver...here in San Francisco tourists are provided with detailed maps of the City with all points of interest highlighted...Does the City of Lights do less...Hurmph...Luddite...you say...On the way now to Las Vegas...just me, my maps etc...wife will drive in next week...slave to technology...never

Old 05-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
With strange irony, our Driving Licence Test will now incorporate using a GPS. Apparently the driving Test examiner will program a portable gps he brings along with him with a short route and you have to follow the instructions whilst maintaining your driving standards
WTF are we coming too these days. One minute they tell you to keep your eyes on the the road and not be distracted then they tell you to look at a GPS screen and follow the route >>>>>..Crazy.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:37 AM
It all boils down to a matter of personal taste. If you prefer maps so be it. I simply cannot see that they can be easier to use than an up to date Sat Nav. I could find my way to any major city in the UK without even a map. However in the UK our cities are not laid out on a grid system as in the US, so navigation to a specific address can be complex. Reading a map and navigating and driving at the same time is difficult and can be dangerous. If you have someone beside you reading the map and directing you its ok but for a solo driver its difficult.
With a Sat Nav you just put in the Zip code and off you go. I struggle to see why anyone would not want this convenience but if so that is a matter of choice.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:18 AM
....a good map provides you with important information that an auto navigation system cannot...the map gives you context...at a glance you can visualize alternate routes...what is more scenic route...the way that works for me is to write out my proposed route in bright marker on a good size piece of white cardboard...that is for my reference while driving...I agree you should not look at map while driving...yes the Nav System is easier to go from A to B...easier is not always better...

Old 05-02-2017, 09:29 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I'm sure there was a post on here a few weeks ago with a replacement infotainment unit giving Android capability. That would be the best option. Not cheap mind you.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by jim2331
....a good map provides you with important information that an auto navigation system cannot...the map gives you context...at a glance you can visualize alternate routes...what is more scenic route...the way that works for me is to write out my proposed route in bright marker on a good size piece of white cardboard...that is for my reference while driving...I agree you should not look at map while driving...yes the Nav System is easier to go from A to B...easier is not always better...
My Alpine system will first of all calculate the quickest route. You can then change the parameters to say avoid motorways, toll roads, etc but in all cases it will give two other possible routes and maps so if you want a more scenic route you can pick it. It also links in to TMC(Traffic Management) which warns of any current difficulties on the chosen route and will calculate an alternative route avoiding the obstruction. It will locate and direct you to the nearest petrol station, or hotel, or restaurant. At the same time it will tell you how many miles to your destination and ETA together with the current speed limit and your current speed. It shows all the signs exactly as they appear on the road and in towns shows 3D maps so you can identify buildings on your route. If you take a wrong turning it will immediately re -program to bring you back on track.

I appreciate that it takes some application to use all these facilities but there are so many advantages over maps that it has to be worth the effort.
Paul

Old 05-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Don't bite Paul, I'm sure there's a troll in town. Maybe a big white board with some crayon lines is fun for some.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:42 PM
pjprokop will become famous soon enoughpjprokop will become famous soon enough
2008 Nav System Update

My 2009 GT came with the single 3W0919859C (trademarked 2007) disc. I tried the BMW discs, with no joy, as previously reported. I updated to the 3W0919859E (trademarked 2008) disc.

There was a significant improvement in the video presentation and overall performance, even though the system remains woefully below current standards for navigation systems, even in the least expensive of current models of any make.

Even with the relatively poor video, the system does work and is accurate as to distances, etc. Even the database of city and street names is reasonably up to date.

I believe the "E" version is the most recent (and last) update available for our 2009 systems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.