Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Headlamp washer replacement on '09 Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:25 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
Headlamp washer replacement on '09 Continental GT

As I left the house 10 days ago I used the windscreen washers for a moment and thought all was well. Later as I returned to the car I noticed a triangular hole where the right headlamp washer cover should be! When I returned home I looked on the street and found both the cover and holder on the left(!) side of the road.

The plastic cover holder was broken at the attachment stem. I reached in the hole, grabbed the washer nozzle and pulled the spring loaded washer arm forward to inspect. The stem on the front part of the nozzle that holds the cover holder was also broken.

After doing some online searching I came across the FlyingSpares site in the UK and was able to order a new nozzle (one part number) and the cover holder w/paint ready cover (one part number). Total cost by registered mail was US$104 and it arrived in seven days.

Installation was easy and required only a small flathead screwdriver and vise grips. There are a couple of tips I thought would be worth sharing here.

First, wait for the car to cool down! As you release the clip holding the existing nozzle VERY hot water will start running down your hand making it difficult to hold onto the washer arm! Ask me how I know this (but I didn't let go). Apparently the washer sprays hot water to remove any ice or dirt.

2nd tip, have a helper hold the arm extended while you replace the nozzle. If you don't have a helper you can use vise grips to hold the arm out but be sure to use just enough pressure to grip the arm as it's plastic and you don't want to risk cracking it. Better to wait for a helper but I used the vise grips successfully.

To remove the old nozzle the small screwdriver is inserted into slots on both sides of the underside of the clip to release the tabs and then the clip lifts out and the nozzle pulled forward. Place the new nozzle on the arm, insert the clip from above and it's done.

If you're using the old painted cover as I did, pry the new one off the holder and snap on the old one. Then push the cover holder onto the nozzle till it clicks into place. Hold the nozzle while removing the vise grips and let the arm retract. DONE!

I have no idea what caused the washer arm to break when it was used but now I want to disable the headlamp washers as I really don't need them here in Florida. Unfortunately, that fuse is in the engine compartment fuseboard which is not easy to get to.

Last edited by BruceR; 08-24-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: add'l detail
Old 08-24-2017, 12:48 AM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BruceR
As I left the house 10 days ago I used the windscreen washers for a moment and thought all was well. Later as I returned to the car I noticed a triangular hole where the right headlamp washer cover should be! When I returned home I looked on the street and found both the cover and holder on the left(!) side of the road.

The plastic cover holder was broken at the attachment stem. I reached in the hole, grabbed the washer nozzle and pulled the spring loaded washer arm forward to inspect. The stem on the front part of the nozzle that holds the cover holder was also broken.

After doing some online searching I came across the FlyingSpares site in the UK and was able to order a new nozzle (one part number) and the cover holder w/paint ready cover (one part number). Total cost by registered mail was US$104 and it arrived in seven days.

Installation was easy and required only a small flathead screwdriver and vise grips. There are a couple of tips I thought would be worth sharing here.

First, wait for the car to cool down! As you release the clip holding the existing nozzle VERY hot water will start running down your hand making it difficult to hold onto the washer arm! Ask me how I know this (but I didn't let go). Apparently the washer sprays hot water to remove any ice or dirt.

2nd tip, have a helper hold the arm extended while you replace the nozzle. If you don't have a helper you can use vise grips to hold the arm out but be sure to use just enough pressure to grip the arm as it's plastic and you don't want to risk cracking it. Better to wait for a helper but I used the vise grips successfully.

To remove the old nozzle the small screwdriver is inserted into slots on both sides of the clip to release the tabs and then the clip lifts out and the nozzle pulled forward. Place the new nozzle on the arm, insert the clip and it's done.

If you're using the old painted cover as I did, pry the new one off the holder and snap on the old one. Then push the cover holder onto the nozzle till it clicks into place. Hold the nozzle while removing the vise grips and let the arm retract. DONE!

I have no idea what caused the washer arm to break when it was used but now I want to disable the headlamp washers as I really don't need them here in Florida. Unfortunately, that fuse is in the engine compartment fuseboard which is not easy to get to.
Great info Bruce. Thanks for taking the time to pass on the DIY info. I have not used my washers yet. Hopefully when I find the need to use them they will not be broken.
Ron

Old 08-24-2017, 03:39 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I managed to snap the retractable tube on mine when I changed the jet. Replacement requires the removal of the bumper, front wing/fender and headlamp. It was done yesterday by my trusted Indie in Crewe.
My fault for using Molegrips too tightly!
For us Brits, it's an annual test requirement for them to work.
Les.

Last edited by ExSF; 08-24-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:45 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Forgot to say.
There is a special plastic holding tool that sits on the extended tube and holds it out whilst you change the jets, etc.
It's the white piece in this photo. Mine came with the new part from F/S.

http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/ben...w0955979b.html

Les.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the DIY info!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.