Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Headlamp washer. Lesson learned.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 04:06 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Headlamp washer. Lesson learned.

After my right side headlamp washer jet stopped working I bought a new jet.
I fitted it but it didn't fix the problem, so I bought another new jet. That didn't work either, so I bought a new pump from a SAAB. It still didn't fix the problem, so I bought a Bentley pump.
Still no joy, but whilst messing around with things, I snapped the retractable tube.

Ordered a new retractable tube part but found that it needs the bumper and wing/fender removing to fit it.

Off to the Indie for the service and for him to fit the new washer part, which he managed without removing the wing. Told you he was good!!!

He then told me that there was nothing wrong with the original jet, it was the left side jet letting too much water through and not creating enough back pressure for the right side to spray.

There is a diaphragm on each jet and it's those that fail.

The moral of the tale is, if one jet fails, I would advise buying two and save yourself a lot of grief.

For me, lesson learned.

Les.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:40 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Hi Les,

Sorry for the trouble. Glad you got everything sorted out and thanks for sharing the info.

It's amazing that a good tech can do stuff quicker than what the manual specifies.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:01 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about that. It leads me to wonder if that may have caused the recent problem I had with the cover breaking off and flying across the road. Maybe too much pressure on that side caused it to snap back to quickly and break off.

Last edited by BruceR; 08-27-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:12 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I suppose it's possible Bruce. The fixings are quite flimsy in my opinion.

Les.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:23 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Maybe attach some double sided tape to the cover for extra strength?

Old 08-27-2017, 11:16 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lilo1980
Maybe attach some double sided tape to the cover for extra strength?
The cover is firmly held by the cover holder but the cover holder is just snapped onto a shaft on the front of the nozzle and has more play than one would expect. I think that's by design to ensure a flush fit to the body regardless of variation in the sheet metal. But that's just a guess. I can't see how it would break on extension unless the cover had become stuck to the body but too violent a retraction might do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.