Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Noise 06 GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:17 AM
Jonty1951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Noise 06 GT

Getting noise from the drivers side ,sounds like a fan running and appears to be coming from the dash, it will also increase in speed when revving ? it is also intermittent? TIA

Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Are you sure it isn't the vacuum pump in the left front wheel arch?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Thanks will check it out

Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Check to see if you hear it when you apply the brakes. If so, then definitely the vacuum pump. Just replaced mine with new, but also rebuilt the one I removed. Will keep it for a spare if the motor goes noisy again.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:53 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Brake vacuum pump

Should the brake vacuum pump be inaudible? I can hear mine breathe every now and then, especially when hitting the brakes.THX.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:24 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Should the brake vacuum pump be inaudible? I can hear mine breathe every now and then, especially when hitting the brakes.THX.
It is normal to hear the motor running when the vacuum pump runs. The pump consists of a fairly potent electric motor (15 amp circuit) driving an eccentric graphite veined impeller. Both the impeller and the motor get noisier over time. They can get pretty bad (loud), and the graphite impeller blades can become so worn they will eventually let go and can destroy the impeller. But, by that time, the unit will probably be pretty loud and audibly calling out to be replaced.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Kes
Kes is an unknown quantity at this point
I had noise in dash in mine, had to replace circulation pump.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:42 PM
Forster1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this the whine I can hear for 10-15 seconds when I first start the car in a morning?

Old 04-23-2018, 11:28 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Possibly air suspension airing up. If not driven daily they lose air over time, also have been known to leak. As stated earlier vacuum pump for the brake assist kicks in. These are all guesses. However you did state it oscillates with engine RPM. That goes back to a fan or something mechanically induced by RPM range.

The best luck

Old 04-23-2018, 03:00 PM
Kes
Kes is an unknown quantity at this point
Upload video, would be easier to find out.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:29 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Forster1993
Is this the whine I can hear for 10-15 seconds when I first start the car in a morning?
Yes, it is the vacuum pump.
You can also activate the pump by pressing the brakes a few times to deplete the vacuum in the reservoir.

A word of caution. If the pump runs a lot, then it's a sure sign that the vacuum hose over the gearbox has split. The pump will also eventually get noisier and self destruct.
You can hear the pump better if you open the left side door, it's behind the hinge area in the wheel well.
Fitting a new pump is easy. The hose is an engine out job though.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello ExSF,
Your info is all correct, BUT, the OP stated "it will also increase in speed when revving".... so that in itself is confusing, as the vacuum pump speed would not increase with engine speed.
Maybe Jonty1951 will update us as to the findings.

Originally Posted by ExSF
Yes, it is the vacuum pump.
You can also activate the pump by pressing the brakes a few times to deplete the vacuum in the reservoir.

A word of caution. If the pump runs a lot, then it's a sure sign that the vacuum hose over the gearbox has split. The pump will also eventually get noisier and self destruct.
You can hear the pump better if you open the left side door, it's behind the hinge area in the wheel well.
Fitting a new pump is easy. The hose is an engine out job though.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:19 AM
Mine does make the noise when I keep pressing the brake pedal, but also increases with the revs,now I am wondering if I have two faults?

Old 04-30-2018, 05:34 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Sorry, missed that bit about revs. Not sure what to suggest now but good luck.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:02 AM
Cycling the brakes will cause the vacuum pump to run. Mine is audible as well if I depress the brakes. From what others have suggested some noise is normal.

WhatI I am not sure about is how often the vacuum pump cycles at idle without depressing the brakes?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noise 06 GT