Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

New to Bentley Forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:21 PM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
New to Bentley Forum

Is there a FAQ sticky thread for the Bentley Continental GT? I'm looking at one of these beauties as my next grail ride and want to learn all I can about things to look out for. Appreciate the assist!

Old 01-31-2019, 08:31 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Hello Randy V,
This Forum is very positive and supportive Read the old posts there is a plethora of information.

In a nutshell, these cars are quirky as any low production high cost car can be. The early cars 2004-2005 and some 2006 we're more prone to vacuum leaks which required engine out. Once repaired these cars are fine. The good news, early cars have a low cost of entry. In my humble opinion 2008 and up are the better suited cars technologically. The newer the the better more comfort features and current technologies. Also the service history and number of owners is an indicator of mechanical condition.

Buy the newest with lowest miles, within budget. Some of the forum members are Hands-On and talented. With such skills the options are unlimited.

Surely other members have their opinions and advice.

Good luck with your chase.

EA

Old 01-31-2019, 04:43 PM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
What's the best approach when buying a 2004-2005 car - have a vacuum smoke test done? Would the bad vacuum leak show up on a VAGCOM scan?

Thanks.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Substantive proof that the lines were repaired with metal. Not only lines above the transmission but the hodden ones behind the steering rack. The two 13 mm lines behind the intake manifold to the brake booster and to the evaporative pollution system as well. Sometimes trouble [codes] not always.

The subject has been covered, please, go to the historical postings and find out more.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 01-31-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:08 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I agree with Mr. Eapplebaum....sometimes CELs when the vacuum leaks are substantive, sometimes not if the leaks are smaller, and the location of the leaks. Smoke test is sage advice on 04, 05, 06.....at least.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:22 AM
Thanks much. It's odd - I've viewed dozens of ads for 2004-2005 cars, and not a single one of them has a mention of having the vacuum lines repaired. Possible that if they were going to fail on these cars, now 14 years old, they would have failed by now?

Do you think a Bentley dealer would be helpful in pulling a service history for the car or are they generally not very helpful?

Old 02-01-2019, 07:34 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Samhain
Thanks much. It's odd - I've viewed dozens of ads for 2004-2005 cars, and not a single one of them has a mention of having the vacuum lines repaired. Possible that if they were going to fail on these cars, now 14 years old, they would have failed by now?

Do you think a Bentley dealer would be helpful in pulling a service history for the car or are they generally not very helpful?
Problem with pulling repair reports at Bentley dealers is that most of these engine out repairs are done by independents. They're about 1/3rd the labor cost the Bentley dealer charges. So Bentley wouldn't necessarily have a record. Nothing wrong with discussing the known issue with the present owner (seller), and carefully measuring their responses.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:56 AM
Additionally, when the Bentley dealer does the repair they use the OEM plastic. So imagine what happens to those lines?

Another way, budget $5,000 for the repair with a qualified independent. Buy an early model cheap enough without a lot of other issues and you come out okay. Even with the best laid out plans there can be surprises. This in mind a 2010 at $75,000 could still require repairs costing $5,000.

For some of us this is a hobby. Have fun learn.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Additionally, when the Bentley dealer does the repair they use the OEM plastic. So imagine what happens to those lines?

Another way, budget $5,000 for the repair with a qualified independent. Buy an early model cheap enough without a lot of other issues and you come out okay. Even with the best laid out plans there can be surprises. This in mind a 2010 at $75,000 could still require repairs costing $5,000.

For some of us this is a hobby. Have fun learn.
Thank you. A repair fund is exactly what I plan to do. Honestly I'm surprised that many peeps would call a possible $5k repair bill in the future a deal breaker on cars like these. I'd rather pay $5k to fix one of these than to pay the depreciation on a new car.

I'm pretty familiar with the basic layout and function of these cars. I have a 2005 VW Phaeton. Same deal kind of - peeps are terrified of these cars but mine is very reliable.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for your replies and insights!

This whacky forum makes new member wait 5 days before we can post again. WTF?

Anyway, I've been an enthusiast BMW (e23 and e38) and Porsche (928 and 928 GTS - current, Lexus LS 460 - current) owner so appreciate the value of participating in forums like this.

I'll be reading and absorbing as I approach acquisition of a Bentley Continental GT. Currently zeroed in on a hard top coupe over a convertible, model years 2005 - 2007.

Is there a dedicated Moderator for this forum? If so, has he considered doing a FAQ thread as is often on offer at other enthusiast sites?

Here's one on Lexus and one on Porsche 928 as examples:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...iy-thread.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...questions.html

Again, thanks for the welcomes!

Last edited by Randy V; 02-08-2019 at 10:23 PM.