Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Was told to stay away from older GTC's

Old 03-03-2019, 11:51 AM
costsavingqueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks everyone, I'm interested in buying wholesale but that of course doesn’t mean I can’t afford to repair the vehicle. This will be my weekend car and I’m prepared to spend 20-30k annually to maintain it. I’m well aware of the cost of ownership, but as my name implies, I just try to find the best “deal” when shopping. I completely understand the cost of ownership and would not be buying if I could not afford to maintain the vehicle. It is just very difficult to find the color combo and options that I want, this has been a damn near an impossible search for the past few years. I don’t want to rush and buy anything but I also need to be aware that what I am looking for seems to be non existent on the market. Sorry if I’m I implied I’m looking for a maintenances free Bentley as this is not the case.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:01 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by costsavingqueen
Thanks everyone, I'm interested in buying wholesale but that of course doesn’t mean I can’t afford to repair the vehicle. This will be my weekend car and I’m prepared to spend 20-30k annually to maintain it. I’m well aware of the cost of ownership, but as my name implies, I just try to find the best “deal” when shopping. I completely understand the cost of ownership and would not be buying if I could not afford to maintain the vehicle. It is just very difficult to find the color combo and options that I want, this has been a damn near an impossible search for the past few years. I don’t want to rush and buy anything but I also need to be aware that what I am looking for seems to be non existent on the market. Sorry if I’m I implied I’m looking for a maintenances free Bentley as this is not the case.
We are just trying to look out for the best interest of fellow car enthusiasts. Thank you for clarification. In my humble opinion the quality of the vehicle is more important than anything. Often buyers are mesmerized by bells & whistles. Stick with 2008 and newer!

As long as it's fun the chaise is addicting.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:17 PM
Adler2501 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an 05

I'm looking for an 08-10 GTC and I'm hearing people stating to stay away as they are plagued with convertible failure issues which will result in a 25k repair off the bat. Can someone provide insight into this? It's taken me 2 years to find what I'm looking for and now to hear this is rather disappointing. I'm aware these are expensive to maintain but when the car is 50k and you have a 25k repair, it doesn't make sense to even proceed with the repair.
I own a 05 GT ( not convertible) bought it with 14k on it with one owner about 3 years ago. Car was very clean and issues free.( full service records attached). Now at 34k I have check engine light on, cause of the vacuum leak wich requires engine out to be fixed. Front struts leaking air and will go flat if car sits for few days and developed knock, ($1800 each to replace) within owning this car had to replace all 4 window regulators, cause windows would drop and won’t go up (($1400-$1800 each). TPS sensors malfunctioning. One of the door speakers blew up. About the time that I need a brake job ($2500... just the front). Still... this is the best car I ever owned ( and I owned a lot) I would never change it for anything. Just for 2012+ model. I contributed many of issues related to the way I drive my continental!! I drive it like I stole it. ALL THE TIME!!! I avarage 6 mpg. Best $68k I ever spent!!! Good luck.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 04-02-2021 at 07:33 PM. Reason: GT, not GTc
Old 03-21-2019, 09:20 PM
Wanted to thank everyone for their response. Couldn't find what I was looking for and it's been a 2 year search, so I gave up and bought an Aston Martin Vantage Roadster. Oh well, off to the Aston Martin thread I go.

Last edited by costsavingqueen; 03-21-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:32 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Wanted to thank everyone for their response. Couldn't find what I was looking for and it's been a 2 year search, so I gave up and bought an Aston Martin Vantage Roadster. Oh well, off to the Aston Martin thread I go.
Wow - too bad on the GTC, but congrats on the AM. I have been shopping a DB9 myself. Looking to add it to my garage, not replace the GT. What model/year did you get? Happy with it?

Old 03-27-2019, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by BWings
Wow - too bad on the GTC, but congrats on the AM. I have been shopping a DB9 myself. Looking to add it to my garage, not replace the GT. What model/year did you get? Happy with it?
09 Vantage V8, never even driven an Aston before (or a Bentley for that matter) but looking forward to it, can’t comment as it hasn’t arrived yet. I’m sure it will be a fun experience.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:35 PM
HP11 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Adler2501

I own 05 Gtc. ( not convertible) bought it with 14k on it with one owner about 3 years ago. Car was very clean and issues free.( full service records attached). Now at 34k I have check engine light on, cause of the vacuum leak wich requires engine out to be fixed. Front struts leaking air and will go flat if car sits for few days and developed knock, ($1800 each to replace) within owning this car had to replace all 4 window regulators, cause windows would drop and won’t go up (($1400-$1800 each). TPS sensors malfunctioning. One of the door speakers blew up. About the time that I need a brake job ($2500... just the front). Still... this is the best car I ever owned ( and I owned a lot) I would never change it for anything. Just for 2012+ model. I contributed many of issues related to the way I drive my continental!! I drive it like I stole it. ALL THD TIME!!! I avarage 6 mpg. Best $68k I ever spent!!! Good luck.
Awesome feedback!!!! That’s ....6mpg.....that’s less than my lifted H2 with 38s.

I’m toying around with buying a GTC amd started reading threads for more insight.

Glad to know the car can be a blast!

Old 04-02-2021, 08:54 AM
Lee Cordner is an unknown quantity at this point
well said. I’m into big boats...same thing. As my dock neighbor likes to say - If someone gave me a 80 foot yacht I still couldn’t afford it.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:47 PM
Linescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud of
Isn't that the car that goes through transmissions at low millage? It's also a much cheaper car.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:10 AM
silvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Linescreamer
Isn't that the car that goes through transmissions at low millage? It's also a much cheaper car.
Aston community also seemed much smaller to me (or I couldn't find it). Which made the Continental GT more appealing to purchase, that I knew I could get help DIYing many of the minor issues with the car. Whereas with an Aston DB9, I felt like I might be more on my own. I guess that's part of the hidden cost of rarity.

And yes, don't back that car up a hill.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:13 PM
scotstern is on a distinguished road
I have both a 2007 Bentley and a 2010 Aston Martin Vantage. The only comparison that I can see is the overall finishing of both. The interior and the exterior on both cars are amazing as far as detail and quality. Other than that these are two vastly different cars. The luxury of the Bentley is hard to beat as is the ride and the feel. It is a very heavy car that still has decent performance and handling but certainly not comparable to the Aston. The Aston is a true sports car and it rides like one.

I also have a Jaguar XK8 and a Mercedes SL500 and those have a more comparable status to the Aston although neither are in same league. I have a Lexus and an Audi and while again, they are luxury cars, they are not in same league as the Bentley. The Bentley appeals to a very specific type of owner as does the Aston. Both are fantastic automobiles but other than being English they are both vastly different.