Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

New noise after engine pulled out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
New noise after engine pulled out

Just finished an enormous amount of work that included pulling the engine to get at all the parts I wanted replaced (o2 sensors, vacuum lines) and the part I needed replaced (turbo solenoid).

They delivered the car to me on flatbed (very nice of them) and I took it for a quick spin before I garaged it and within a block, I noticed a new noise that sounded a lot like a wheel bearing going bad from my left front wheel area. It howls (too strong a term, it's not loud at all) and changes pitch the faster I drive and does not occur when still.

It's pretty unlikely it's really a wheel bearing, since they were fine before it went into the shop. I'm suspecting a CV joint or half-shaft problem. It's possible that something is just rubbing and it's not mechanical at all.

But pulling the engine and bolting it back in, I can envision something going wrong with the transmission-to-wheel mechanisms.

Anyone have any clue?

I'm taking it back to get it checked, but I would like to be conversant with what it could be. I've looked at the exploded diagram of the CV and half-shaft, I didn't see anything obvious that could be installed incorrectly.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by British
Just finished an enormous amount of work that included pulling the engine to get at all the parts I wanted replaced (o2 sensors, vacuum lines) and the part I needed replaced (turbo solenoid).

They delivered the car to me on flatbed (very nice of them) and I took it for a quick spin before I garaged it and within a block, I noticed a new noise that sounded a lot like a wheel bearing going bad from my left front wheel area. It howls (too strong a term, it's not loud at all) and changes pitch the faster I drive and does not occur when still.

It's pretty unlikely it's really a wheel bearing, since they were fine before it went into the shop. I'm suspecting a CV joint or half-shaft problem. It's possible that something is just rubbing and it's not mechanical at all.

But pulling the engine and bolting it back in, I can envision something going wrong with the transmission-to-wheel mechanisms.

Anyone have any clue?

I'm taking it back to get it checked, but I would like to be conversant with what it could be. I've looked at the exploded diagram of the CV and half-shaft, I didn't see anything obvious that could be installed incorrectly.
Its a million dollar question, engine was out with all the other bits that go with it, as you say no noise when stationary, If you can take a video lets listen to this sound maybe I or someone can identify the problem. Good idea after spending a sum take it back go for a drive with them ...

Old 10-02-2019, 03:52 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
Its a million dollar question, engine was out with all the other bits that go with it, as you say no noise when stationary, If you can take a video lets listen to this sound maybe I or someone can identify the problem. Good idea after spending a sum take it back go for a drive with them ...
Indeed good advice. Glad it worked out. Important test at this point is to do a third gear 2000 RPM hard acceleration. Then have them check codes. This would reveal any turbo charger deviations + or -, overboost, underboost or limp mode. There should be a tremendous surge of power doing this a couple of times.

This has nothing to do with the strange sound we're waiting for the video. My suggestion is so you don't end up discovering later that it isn't boosting properly. They will than tell you it's not their fault.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Looks like it is a wheel bearing. It sounded exactly like a wheel bearing, but I knew there was no way a wheel bearing would coincidentally go bad after an engine-out. Well, on the lift, wiggle wiggle.

New wheel bearing next week.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:04 AM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by British
Looks like it is a wheel bearing. It sounded exactly like a wheel bearing, but I knew there was no way a wheel bearing would coincidentally go bad after an engine-out. Well, on the lift, wiggle wiggle.

New wheel bearing next week.
Now you know, at least its nothing to do with the engine or transmission, you know as you can hear it, no matter what we think we cant hear the sound ...