BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

M3 for my daughter - any help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
M3 for my daughter - any help?

OK. Without debating the wisdom of buying an M3 for my 18-year-old daughter, any suggestions for model year, options, and what I should pay, as well as thoughts on the SMG tranny? Also, any wheel and exhaust suggestions are appreciated, but no other performance upgrades needed!

I'm thinking a 2003-2005 coupe, 15,000 - 30,000 miles. White with grey interior ideally. What will that cost me?

Anyone who has time educate me a little, as I haven't owned an M3 since my E30 that I sold back in the early '90s and wish I still had. Are there any year-to-year changes I should be aware of? Any packages that I would probably want? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Russ

Old 10-15-2007, 08:00 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 AM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Thanks Felix. I'll check out e46fanatics.com too.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
Thanks Felix. I'll check out e46fanatics.com too.
Let me know if you want me to do a "WTB"

Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 AM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Id say just find one with the oem 19s on it - no need to replace those since they are really nice wheels. Otherwise, ive heard good things about 04+ M3 coupes...and why grey interior? White on Red would be DOPE! Good Luck...

Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 AM
lax01 will become famous soon enough
if ANYTHING, Pre-99 E36 Body Style...you're insane if you give your 18 year old daughter an E46 M3...and I would say even the 240bhp out of the E36 is too much. Has she ever driven a RWD car before? I would get her a nice SUV like all the other rich kids...at least you know it'll be safe...

Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Dude, read the thread AGAIN, he clearly stated in the first line "OK. Without debating the wisdom of buying an M3 for my 18-year-old daughter" I'm sure Russ is well aware of what kind of car the E46 M3 is and what his daughter can handle.
Originally Posted by lax01
if ANYTHING, Pre-99 E36 Body Style...you're insane if you give your 18 year old daughter an E46 M3...and I would say even the 240bhp out of the E36 is too much. Has she ever driven a RWD car before? I would get her a nice SUV like all the other rich kids...at least you know it'll be safe...

Old 10-15-2007, 08:11 AM
S54power is on a distinguished road
Laguna Seca Blue, 2004 since that was the last year it was offered, SMG would probably be easier for her, 19's,.....Good luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
Dude, read the thread AGAIN, he clearly stated in the first line "OK. Without debating the wisdom of buying an M3 for my 18-year-old daughter" I'm sure Russ is well aware of what kind of car the E46 M3 is and what his daughter can handle.

Obviously I don't really care what he doesn't want to discuss...I think its flat out irresponsible...Why even say its for his daughter if thats not what this thread is about?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:23 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Not debating the wisdom and I think its a cool car, safe and reliable but I would make sure she has a chance to drive the SMG a couple of times before she commits.

I agree with 2003, good updates, spun bearing issue addressed. I would think you can find one in the low 40's.

And for the record, my 16yo son drives a 275hp awd turbo.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Obviously I don't really care what he doesn't want to discuss...I think its flat out irresponsible...Why even say its for his daughter if thats not what this thread is about?
I'm not afraid of the discussion. I just wasn't seeking input on this, but I hear you. She started in an SUV for a year, has had a BMW 530i for the past couple of years (rear wheel drive - horrible in the wet!), wants to start autocrossing a little, and has proven herself a very safe and responsible driver. In three years of driving she has had no tickets, one accident that wasn't her fault but that she should have avoided and has learned from, and has a healthy respect for performance cars. No doubt she might be safer in an older generation M3, although I personally think the e46 platform is much better and more stable, and that that offsets the increase in power. Just as she would be safer in a 325 than that. And safer in a Camry than that. And safer in a Prius than that. And safer in a Tahoe than that.

I drove a lifted jeep CJ5 with big mud tires and a modded Chevy V8 back and forth to Vanderbilt, 6 hours away on the interstate, when I was her age. I'm pretty sure this will be a hell of a lot safer than that, and I don't often think of my parents as having been irresponsible in their raising of me. But, even though you consider me irresponsible, at least know that I have thought it through thoroughly and have discussed it with her, have not made the decision lightly or without being aware of the potential consequences, am not trying to impress anyone else nor is she, and have made a decision that I think is overall best for my daughter, taking into consideration her maturity, her passions, and what is important to her.

Last edited by MexicoBlue; 10-15-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
I'm not afraid of the discussion. I just wasn't seeking input on this, but I hear you. She started in an SUV for a year, has had a BMW 530i for the past couple of years (rear wheel drive - horrible in the wet!), wants to start autocrossing a little, and has proven herself a very safe and responsible driver. In three years of driving she has had no tickets, one accident that wasn't her fault but that she should have avoided and has learned from, and has a healthy respect for performance cars. No doubt she might be safer in an older generation M3, although I personally think the e46 platform is much better and more stable, and that that offsets the increase in power. Just as she would be safer in a 325 than that. And safer in a Camry than that. And safer in a Prius than that. And safer in a Tahoe than that.
I only thought you were irresponsible if you were doing this without thought and because she wanted a flashy car to drive around in...I hope she really enjoys it, learns to drive it properly and respects the car. Good luck in search....

Old 10-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Kingofcars is on a distinguished road
Hey Russ,

Thanks for setting a precedent here! I have a son who is a Six-Speeder. If he comes expecting any M car from me I'm coming to Arkansas.

King

Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 AM
I only thought you were irresponsible if you were doing this without thought and because she wanted a flashy car to drive around in...I hope she really enjoys it, learns to drive it properly and respects the car. Good luck in search....
No prob. I never mind someone being concerned for the safety of my children. I think about it night and day, and still make mistakes. I don't think this is one, but obviously I can't know that for sure.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Kingofcars
Hey Russ,

Thanks for setting a precedent here! I have a son who is a Six-Speeder. If he comes expecting any M car from me I'm coming to Arkansas.

King
Come on King! The kid is gonna need something nice to cruise around in . . .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M3 for my daughter - any help?