BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

'09 CTS-V vs BMW M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:58 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
wow that's an incredibly boring video... yawn - i got through about 45 seconds and couldn't take it anymore

To sum up the video - the caddy is supposedly as good as the M5 (doubt it... and would still NEVER buy the caddy)

Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
wow that's an incredibly boring video... yawn - i got through about 45 seconds and couldn't take it anymore

To sum up the video - the caddy is supposedly as good as the M5 (doubt it... and would still NEVER buy the caddy)

Thanks for your unbiased and open minded opinion based on nothing but facts

Old 08-26-2008, 12:52 AM
SoCal97M3 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
Sorry....but TTDave was right. That video was BORING!! ...and I watched the whole thing!!

Say what you want about the numbers and that the caddy 'might' be a few tenths faster....it will never be a BMW M5.

Before you just write off my comments....I got to spend 6 hours beating the crap out of the V-Series caddy's a year or so ago at the El Toro air base in Orange County. I got to drive every V-series car through slalom, road course, brake/acceleration tests, etc. They were 'fun' cars to beat on for a day, but I would never pay what they are asking for those cars.

They just don't have the refinement of the German cars. They do have big engines (and big weight), and sound good, but the lacked the 'german' feel that I appreciate.

Anyway...save yourself from watching the 4 minute video....there is too much talking and not enough driving footage.

SoCal

Old 08-26-2008, 12:55 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Anytime

Originally Posted by SoCal97M3
Sorry....but TTDave was right. That video was BORING!! ...and I watched the whole thing!!

Say what you want about the numbers and that the caddy 'might' be a few tenths faster....it will never be a BMW M5.

Before you just write off my comments....I got to spend 6 hours beating the crap out of the V-Series caddy's a year or so ago at the El Toro air base in Orange County. I got to drive every V-series car through slalom, road course, brake/acceleration tests, etc. They were 'fun' cars to beat on for a day, but I would never pay what they are asking for those cars.

They just don't have the refinement of the German cars. They do have big engines (and big weight), and sound good, but the lacked the 'german' feel that I appreciate.

Anyway...save yourself from watching the 4 minute video....there is too much talking and not enough driving footage.

SoCal
Exactly

Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 AM

SoCal
I completely agree the video was boring. That had nothing to do with my response to TTDave. I was simply posting the article b/c it hints at what's to come when the comparisons start to arrive.

So somehow you got to drive the new CTS-V that hasn't been released yet? If you're basing your impressions on the old V-series cars then I can respect that...sort of. But does an E92 M3 drive the same as an E36 M3? What you're missing is the fact that the new CTS-V is completely unlike the previous model and, honestly, it's unfair to say anything about it's fit and finish or driving qualities until one has actually driven one.

Also, the M5 weighs only about 100lbs less than the new manual CTS-V and about 250 lbs MORE than the previous CTS-V. If you want to talk about German refinement you should sit in my Cayenne Turbo and check out the peeling paint on the vents, steering wheel, ashtrays, window switches and center console. Oh yeah, the cracked coil packs, broken rear window visor, bad tailgate struts and an odd intermittent ticking sound from behind the dashboard are more goodies. Awesome stuff

BTW, your M3 looks like a track monster

Last edited by SeattleBum; 08-26-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM
I completely agree the video was boring. That had nothing to do with my response to TTDave. I was simply posting the article b/c it hints at what's to come when the comparisons start to arrive.

So somehow you got to drive the new CTS-V that hasn't been released yet? If you're basing your impressions on the old V-series cars then I can respect that...sort of. But does an E92 M3 drive the same as an E36 M3? What you're missing is the fact that the new CTS-V is completely unlike the previous model and, honestly, it's unfair to say anything about it's fit and finish or driving qualities until one has actually driven one.

Also, the M5 weighs only about 100lbs less than the new manual CTS-V and about 250 lbs MORE than the previous CTS-V. If you want to talk about German refinement you should sit in my Cayenne Turbo and check out the peeling paint on the vents, steering wheel, ashtrays, window switches and center console. Oh yeah, the cracked coil packs, broken rear window visor, bad tailgate struts and an odd intermittent ticking sound from behind the dashboard are more goodies. Awesome stuff

BTW, your M3 looks like a track monster
I hear you...it was the 'older' V-series, but it was the same thing. The V-series of a year or two ago was the answer to the 'german' offerings of the time.

I am just tired of car companies bringing out cars that beat (supposedly) the 'Merc, BMW, Audi' of 2-3 years ago. Why isn't caddy comparing itself to the new C63 AMG? Oh wait, probably because that car just came out this year, and wasn't introduced in 2005 like the M5.

That sucks about your Cayenne...I have 3 friends that have been very happy with their cars.

That said, you ready to trade it for an escalade with a supercharger as it is a 'cayenne' beater j/k! Seriously though, all the german cars have their quirks/maintenance issues that are annoying. But are you really going to go drive another car over those issues? Tell me that putting your foot down in the Cayenne, or the way it handles doesn't make it all worth it.

I wish the pic was my M3. Mine does well on the track, especially with the new Ground Control coilovers 500lb front, 550lb rear spring rates. Also...for an 11 year old car, I have no squeaks and rattles (other than urethane suspension bushings and lightweight flywheel...but those are my fault ).

SoCal

Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I am just tired of car companies bringing out cars that beat (supposedly) the 'Merc, BMW, Audi' of 2-3 years ago. Why isn't caddy comparing itself to the new C63 AMG? Oh wait, probably because that car just came out this year, and wasn't introduced in 2005 like the M5.

Tell me that putting your foot down in the Cayenne, or the way it handles doesn't make it all worth it.

SoCal
The Caddy isn't in the same size category as the M3, RS4 or C63AMG. It competes with the 5-series and E-series cars. The price is in the M3, RS4 and C63 range but that's it for comparisons.

As far as trying to beat the Bavarians, what would you have them do? The Germans have been setting the bar for years. What kind of world would it be if things didn't improve b/c people were just sick and tired of trying to one-up each other? That's called progress in most situations. I've seen plenty of M3/C63 comparisons to the RS4 which is a couple years older. Is that an unfair comparison?? I think not since I happen to live in the here and now. Shoulda-woulda-coulda are all excuses.

The Cayenne is nice, but it's no highway monster. True, it's faster than a lot of other trucks and a good deal of cars on the road but it isn't "giddy" fast by a long shot and a Honda Fit takes corners better. It is what it is and what it is is heavy! You may have eventually come to the conclusion that my comments in this thread are Caddy-biased. I always like to root for the underdog, I guess. That's because I just came from a 480whp/445wtq CTS-V than was trapping 119mph in the 1/4 and pulling 1.1g's in the corners. I've beaten plenty of 911's and a couple new M5's on the road course to their owners' dismay. So when you ask me if the Cayenne gives me a rush I have to say it feels more like a comfortable commuter than anything else.

In the end aren't we all just car guys/gals that want better and better products? If the 'competition' disappeared then cars are not going to improve. Give credit where credit is do and enjoy the drive!

One of the track days I recorded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bnCE0McTdc

BTW, I've only done 5 track days in my life so I'm not some ringer of a driver.

Last edited by SeattleBum; 08-26-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 PM
One of the track days I recorded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bnCE0McTdc

BTW, I've only done 5 track days in my life so I'm not some ringer of a driver.
Nice videos! I have to say, aside from one of the V-series cars I saw in MLE magazine, yours is the nicest I have seen. I only drove the 'stock' cars. I am sure that with the suspension mods, the cars would handle much better. Is it just me, or was there quite a lot of cones out on the track??? I have seen 'turn in, apex, track out' cones, but there were a ton of cones out there.

You should have seen my first run on the autocross. I was going 'slow' as it was my first of 5 runs, but I still plowed through 4-5 cones as the car was a 'bit' heavier than the M3 I was used to driving.

Anyway...Cool car, I am sure you enjoyed toying with lots of cars in that caddy. At least the caddy's don't try to imitate the styling...they do their own thing, which is more than you can say for half the other car manufacturers out there.

SoCal