BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Paintwork on a CPO vehicle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 PM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Paintwork on a CPO vehicle?

Long story short...A buddy of mine picked up a CPO m3 sight unseen from an out of state dealership, BMW of Lincoln NE. Of course, all basic questions were asked prior to signing...accidents? Previous paintwork? Etc. the dealer of course assured my friend there was no paintwork or accidents. Shortly after, an agreement was made and the car was shipped here to Maryland.

Weeks later post-arrival when i saw the car for the first time i noticed the entire car was resprayed and the hood misaligned. I took my paint meter to the car where it consistenly read 8-9's on the sides and even upto 12 on the hood.

My question is, is the dealership responsible for disclosing information of a repair over a certain dollar amount? If so, does this vary state-to-state? Is there anything on the CPO checklist that would fail the car for a full respray?

Mechanically the car seems fine but im sure had the dealer been a little more honest my friend wouldnt have paid what he did or even considered buying the car to begin with.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
A honest dealership should make it right. In all honesty the car shouldnt have passed CPO let alone the dealerships standards. Did he call the dealer?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 AM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rossii
A honest dealership should make it right. In all honesty the car shouldnt have passed CPO let alone the dealerships standards. Did he call the dealer?
I told him to communicate with the dealer strictly by email and document every bit of communication moving forward in case this ever moves to court. To my knowledge the dealer has been unresponsive.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think BMW will allow CPO on a car that has more than one contiguous panel painted. Pull up the BMW CPO details online and check it out - seems like this would be cause for a dealer buy back if it were me.