BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

BMW depreciation question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 AM
jtamburino is on a distinguished road
BMW depreciation question

I bought a 2009 328 M-Sport Vert Loaded last year at this time. I paid 37,900 for it. It's now worth about 27 on trade in, and I'm struggling to get 29 for it. Is this normal depreciation? Or did I just overpay? I'm shocked at how bad its held its value. This is for a CPO car that is in very good condition, clear carfax, no body work. And very desirable color combo. Did I just get it at the wrong time in its depreciation cycle. I lost 10k in value in 12 months.

Makes me hesitant to even think about another BMW. Is this why most people lease their BMW's? I've had almost 30 different cars through out my life, and have never taken such a beating.

Thoughts?

Old 06-29-2013, 09:19 AM
DUC_HNTR will become famous soon enoughDUC_HNTR will become famous soon enough
There are a couple things that make it hard to answer this, like no purchase vs current mileage, specs on the car (manual vs auto, packages etc). That being said unless the drove the crap out of it, that seems steep. If it were new when purchased I would expect a drop like that but not on an 09. I haven't had any have that kinda drop either. Don't forget if you purchased at a dealer (which I am assuming since you said it's CPO) that the price you paid is retail, compared to your now private party value.

Last edited by DUC_HNTR; 06-29-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:22 AM
pondjumper will become famous soon enoughpondjumper will become famous soon enough
Key part in that statement is "trade-in." I never trade vehicles because it means the dealer makes money off you twice. Much better off selling yourself. Also, you didn't list any options, you did buy a cpo car at a dealer (which costs more), and the new model 3 series is out now with the 4 right behind it.

I believe it is a combination of things.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM
jtamburino is on a distinguished road
I got trade in numbers after having the car up for sale since April. As far as options the car is loaded. Every option you can get except for the Logic 7 stereo. I've always sold my cars myself and never had a problem until this one.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
It's normal to lose at least $10K...

Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM
soopaman15 is on a distinguished road
My suggestion. Be better prepared when walking into a dealership. You should know what to expect, before even entering. The internet has made car buying a lot simpler for most folks. Search and you'll find the information your looking for.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 PM
mdosu is on a distinguished road
IMO, paying $38k for an used 328 is insane. I think you overpaid. I'm assuming your 328 is non-CPO 10-20k miles right? Assuming this, I wouldn't have paid more than $30k last year. I know the M-Sport adds some value, but $8k worth of value is insane.

Let me give you what my car looks like:

2008 E90 M3, Delivered in April 2008. $67k sticker.
June 2010 - sold to me for cash $46k (8k miles), car was valued at $45k in dealer-only auctions.
Today - worth about $41k (23k miles)

I had a higher starting price, and only in the first two years, it took a $10k depreciation a year, but it's a M3 with a $67k sticker! And at this point, the car has hit it's bottom for about 2-3 years until the F30 M3/4 comes out, you can't pick up a E9X M3 for lower than $33k these days (80k~100k mile cars).

a $27k trade is generous, but it's b/c they're making money on both sides of the deal with you, since you're also buying a car from them. i think your 328 is worth about $25k cash right now, being optimistic, selling to the right guy, in California. In the future, i suggest making friends with people online who has access to dealer-only auctions (Manheim) and they will show you some recent auction prices, those are going to be the lowest or baseline figures a used car dealer would sell a used car to you, and also would be the highest they will accept a straight up purchase of your car a-la Carmax.

Last edited by mdosu; 07-03-2013 at 07:52 PM.