BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Thinking about buying M6 87K miles...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Thinking about buying M6 87K miles...

Any helpful hints or thoughts??? Am I crazy for considering this car with this many miles???

Last edited by RickEager; 05-12-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added clarity
Old 05-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
A little more info would be helpful. Year? Trans? Etc.......

Old 05-15-2017, 08:06 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
2008 Convertible with Paddles and the dreaded auto/stick

Old 05-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
There are known issues with the V10, namely rod bearings, and the SMG which is normally a clutch or sensor. The SMG issues are really not a big deal. In my old 06 M5 with SMG the clutch was replaced at 9k miles under warranty but now has around 100k. It's getting close to the end of its life but shoot any clutch that lasts 100k is pretty good. There has been no issues with rod bearings on my old car either. Bottom line is these cars are like all other high performance cars, they all have known issues but as long as you can get service records and it'll pass a PPI you're in good shape.

And in case it matters, my M5 was the best car I've owned!! I miss it every day!!

Old 05-16-2017, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the really good info. Please educate me... Is the engine (V-10) in the M6 the same as in the M5??? And if so, other than the body differences, what other items do the two cars share in common???

Old 05-16-2017, 08:22 PM
The engine and drive train is the same. Really the only difference is the body/interior....everything else is the same. Great cars, amazing engine (the last of the great NA V10s) and pretty reliable as long as they have been maintained. Again as long as you can get good maintenance records and a good PPI I wouldnt be worried.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.