BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

BUGATTI VEYRON Power for $960000 less

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vicious
Hate to say it but you have no ****ing idea what you're talking about. There is more to it than just the scavenging effect. You still have to pump the air through that manifold and without a doubt a header/collector style exhaust system would provide substantial gains on the top end.
Vicious...tone it down. No profanity and no attacks..Please read the rules and understand you can and will be banned if it continues.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:03 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
That company DA Motorsports is so full of shi%$#%#$#%t .......

Old 11-07-2006, 12:24 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DJ
That company DA Motorsports is so full of shi%$#%#$#%t .......
DJ watch your language please. No profanity and no attacks..Please read the rules and understand you can and will be banned if it continues.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kiko
Wrong, equal length headers are used MAINLY for their scavenging properties by alternating pressures on the tubes otherwise its the shape, cross-section and backpressure that determines flow on a turbocharged engine, ceramic coating would do more for the set up than equal length headers.

Apart from having an attitude what gives you the right to address yourself to me like that? Do I know you?
What gives me the right? Experience for one. The hundreads of hours i've spent building high end TT cars. From conception, build, tuning, racing, to laying down near 1400rwhp numbers from a true street car. All backed by a nice BSME degree just for kicks.

The statement that those headers are used "mainly" for scavenging effect just shows you really need to get back to fluiddynamics 101 and study the pulse flow/reverberation experienced by the exhaust system on a turbo charged vehicle. For someone whos an automotive engineer these are things I would hope you would have studied, my bad.

Do you have any first hand data comparing a nice equal length header to a cast iron log manifold, or even a fabricated log manifold?

What were the equivelant backpressure readings vs the compressor side pressures? Any change in spool charasteristics?

How did it effect EGT's?

Here's a couple examples from people who did just that. First example is an equal length tubular header vs a basic cast iron log manifold.

And because you think the gains are solely based on CSA etc. The 2nd example is showing a header vs a fabricated log style manifold. The log and header share the same primary dia, same turbo flange, same turbo, even the exact same turbo location. Only change is in the manifold/header style.

So if you will, click Here And Here to see you're wrong, they are FAR from "almost pointless" on a turbocharged vehicle, unless you consider what is basically a free 20% hp increase in this test "almost pointless".

Oh and it's not a personal attack at all, but more so correcting a whole truck load of misinformation and/or ignorance coming from people spouting off when they truly have no clue.

So if you have any tangible info from tests showing otherwise please share it with us.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:48 AM
kiko is infamous around these parts
After I posted my last post, I looked at Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" which is considered by many the Bible of turbocharging and on page 119 about "Style of manifolding" he states: "In general, much greater freedom exists in the choice of manifold styles when the manifold is fabricated. These choices range from the simple log style to the equal-length, multiple-tube, individual-runner style. A great amount of research has been done on the performance benefits of various manifold styles. Most of this research, plus the tremendous effords put into the recent era of turbocharged Grand Prix cars strongly indicates that the best manifold is multiple-tube, individual-runner style."

This statement lead me to believe it would not be so crucial as you say but in the end it corroborates your statements. What it doesn't corroborate is the tone and the language used on your post which I don't allow you or anyone use with me, one of the moderators seems to agree with me on this and doesn't want you to post like this in this forum.

Knowledge is valuable but manners are priceless...

Old 11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
DJ watch your language please. No profanity and no attacks..Please read the rules and understand you can and will be banned if it continues.

I tried hard to PG-13 it q-bert style

Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DJ

I tried hard to PG-13 it q-bert style
Hey, I deleted that!

Old 11-07-2006, 02:31 PM
DJ
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
Hey, I deleted that!
Nothing that amuses me is sacred my brother!

Old 11-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kiko
Knowledge is valuable but manners are priceless...
What do they say about ignorance? If you don't like my tone then think about that before you find the ***** to go telling me I'M WRONG, and make some inept generalization about what works and what doesn't.

And yes i'm familiar with maximum boost. Will have to double check the release date but you should pick up maximum boost 2. Then you can get a good look at some of the cars i've worked on that are sited in it.

At any rate I'm over it, but to everyone, please try to keep the gross misinformation to a minimum when it comes to tech stuff.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:24 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
What do they say about ignorance? If you don't like my tone then think about that before you find the ***** to go telling me I'M WRONG, and make some inept generalization about what works and what doesn't.

And yes i'm familiar with maximum boost. Will have to double check the release date but you should pick up maximum boost 2. Then you can get a good look at some of the cars i've worked on that are sited in it.

At any rate I'm over it, but to everyone, please try to keep the gross misinformation to a minimum when it comes to tech stuff.
Vicious you don't happen to have a twin turbo Viper? or at least worked on one?

Old 11-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by kaz555
Vicious you don't happen to have a twin turbo Viper? or at least worked on one?
actually yes, why do you ask?

Old 11-07-2006, 06:32 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
actually yes, why do you ask?
Have you sold any on ebay if you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by kaz555
Have you sold any on ebay if you don't mind me asking?
No none of them have been on ebay.