BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

M5 6-spd disappointment? Sort of...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
love my m6 smg, it takes some getting used to but its really not that bad

Old 06-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned
MabF355 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lax01
Sounds like he needs some ritalin...I wonder how much money he loses on depreciation (though I'm doubting he's buying new cars all the time)

Does he keep any cars? This fascinates me...that you are so bored with life yu buy a new car every week...
He NEVER and I mean NEVER buys used cars! Thats the most interesting part. We have tried to suggest that, but it really isn't his style. Even when he only drives each car for a week or so, he likes each one to have all the avalible equipment. After he purchases the vehicles, each car is outfitted with Sirius and XM as well as front and rear radar/laser detectors and jammers, and then obviously removed a week or so later when he is done with the car. This past March, because he doesn't like to fly, he bought a 07 S600 to drive to his house in Florida. When he got to Florida, he called us to send a truck to pick up the S600 as he was either buying a AM DB9 or Bentley GTC to drive back. He ended up with a loaded MDX because he couldn't find the Bentley or Aston Martin in a color combo he liked!
To be honest with you, he isn't bored at all. He vacations a lot (buys cars on vacation too) and is part owner of a baseball team, so his time is certainly occupied. He is addicted you could say to the process of ordering cars, and the paper work that needs to be done, etc. He loses a fair amount of money, but nothing too crazy, usually. We try to guide him the right direction so he never takes a big hit. He has so many tax credits at all the dealers locally that he never pays sales tax. He often trades 5 or 6 cars on one allowing for that to happen. This man fascinates me and most people who hear his story, thats all.

As far as cars he has kept, he has a Sportsmobile Custom Camper van (really, really neat!), a 2 Door Open Top MBZ G-Wagon, a Cayenne Titanium Edition (his wifes) he had a Ford GT he never drove that he kept for a year or so, and that's all I can currently remember.
-Marc

Last edited by MabF355; 06-07-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:00 AM
chekuen is on a distinguished road
75 cars

can you buy his used ones and post them here on 6speed?

Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by chekuen
can you buy his used ones and post them here on 6speed?
I think I need something like 100 posts before I can start "selling" here. I do buy all of his cars when he is done with them, so once I get to the 100 post mark I will start mentioning some cars. However, I don't usually keep cars long enough to deal with the forums. If you are looking for something in particular, PM me.
-Marc

Old 06-08-2007, 08:08 AM
lax01 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MabF355
He NEVER and I mean NEVER buys used cars! Thats the most interesting part. We have tried to suggest that, but it really isn't his style. Even when he only drives each car for a week or so, he likes each one to have all the avalible equipment. After he purchases the vehicles, each car is outfitted with Sirius and XM as well as front and rear radar/laser detectors and jammers, and then obviously removed a week or so later when he is done with the car. This past March, because he doesn't like to fly, he bought a 07 S600 to drive to his house in Florida. When he got to Florida, he called us to send a truck to pick up the S600 as he was either buying a AM DB9 or Bentley GTC to drive back. He ended up with a loaded MDX because he couldn't find the Bentley or Aston Martin in a color combo he liked!
To be honest with you, he isn't bored at all. He vacations a lot (buys cars on vacation too) and is part owner of a baseball team, so his time is certainly occupied. He is addicted you could say to the process of ordering cars, and the paper work that needs to be done, etc. He loses a fair amount of money, but nothing too crazy, usually. We try to guide him the right direction so he never takes a big hit. He has so many tax credits at all the dealers locally that he never pays sales tax. He often trades 5 or 6 cars on one allowing for that to happen. This man fascinates me and most people who hear his story, thats all.

As far as cars he has kept, he has a Sportsmobile Custom Camper van (really, really neat!), a 2 Door Open Top MBZ G-Wagon, a Cayenne Titanium Edition (his wifes) he had a Ford GT he never drove that he kept for a year or so, and that's all I can currently remember.
-Marc
wow, I revert to my initial opinion that this guy is a moron...

Buying new cars and taking a depreciation hit for each them every week? I can't think of a better way to waste money...at least he's helping the economy...

Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Hernando is on a distinguished road
I guess everyone has their own experiences, and or thoughts. I have been enjoying the M6 with the 6 speed. I love driving it, it's been lots of fun.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
I think that BMW was smart to release the 6-speed option for the M5, especially now with the ability to disengage DSC completely. There will be a small nitch who appreciate the 6-speed, but it's still worth it.

No matter what transmission is in the E60 M5, it will never have the same feel or torque as the E39 M5, the engines are very different. The efficiency of the 7-speed SMG seems to match the car well because of the nature of the V10. Still, the 6-speed gearbox in that car is a very good one, with good gearing.

People talk about getting the purity back into the E60 M5 with a 6-speed box, which I think is silly. The car never will be the E39 platform, the latest generation took a different approach and people should either learn to be content and appreciate that, or move on.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Hernando
I guess everyone has their own experiences, and or thoughts. I have been enjoying the M6 with the 6 speed. I love driving it, it's been lots of fun.
As I said before, I REALLY loved driving the car. In fact, I may have to drive it again this weekend! I prefer the feel of the 6-spd to the SMG, I was just a bit suprised in the lack of power when I put my foot down. If I was buying a new M5 or M6 tomorrow, it would be a stick for sure!
-Marc