Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering issues on tracked Caymans?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Power steering issues on tracked Caymans?

Hello all, I am wondering if there are any of you who have had issues with your power steering systems on Cayman S that have seen track time. I have a friend who experienced this recently, and I am currently wrapping the power steering line on the engine in thermal heat wrap and adding an external front mount power steering cooler. I will have pictures as the project progresses for those interested. I believe the failure point on this car to be between the main reservoir and the pump itself. The red pressure fitting on the back of the main reservoir was also on its way out, but had not yet failed. I will keep this updated as I make progress. All work in engine bay is completed, except for bleeding and filling, and the front mount cooler is mocked into place but not yet hard mounted. It will be fed with a few holes in the center grill. Lines into the cooler are -10 AN fittings, and use a 3/8 mineral/hydraulic oil resistant line to tie into factory system's return side.
Edited to add some pics from the engine bay:

With A/C compressor out

View of line where it snaps into Reservoir

Where line makes the curve to drop to undercarriage. Grommet was re-installed, where gold U-shape is.

View from above with line reinserted into reservoir.

Similar as above pic, different angle

Pump and compressor reinstalled.

There is a Cayman buried in there somewhere:

Last edited by porschespeeddemon; 10-26-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
A well known problem on Boxster/Cayman of any year running comp tires. High steering forces often boil the PS fluid, the return fitting at the PS pump fails and all your fluid is left on the track in turn 9. Your fixes are proven to work. Do inspect/replace the return fitting as it is probably heat damaged.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Know where to get the red fitting in the reservoir for the return line? not sure if you can get it separate through porsche parts

Old 10-27-2008, 07:31 AM
'ringmeister is on a distinguished road
An underdrive pulley helps (but doesn't entirely solve the problem). Adds approx 6whp as well. I happen to have one for sale. Sorry for the shamelessly self-serving post.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 AM
raydef is on a distinguished road
Anyway we can get the photos back up?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Will try to over the next week or so, al my photos were removed from my old hosting site, slowly getting them transferred to a new one, but am a little strapped for time until earyl Feb.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 PM
raydef is on a distinguished road
Thank you it is appreciated!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
I have a new BBI pulley of the latest Gen (for Cayman/Boxster) for sale if interested.