Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Boxster S or E46 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:44 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
My first time bringing a smg up to the limiter 1st – 3rd on a tight section of road just put a smile on my face. So raw and visceral.
You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 AM
AFKC has a spectacular aura aboutAFKC has a spectacular aura about
i posted here because I know that there are individuals that are like minded on here, and I did post this in the BMW section as well. My mind is not made up, that is why I am still posting. Everyone has provided a lot of god info for me.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
I have driven the M3, and while it is a thrill power-wise, I like the simple feel of the Boxster when driving it because it feels like you can just throw the car around curves since it is so well balanced. It's not fast, but you can still have a lot of fun with it. Throw the top down, listen to the engine behind your head & the intake growl as you shift from gear to gear. There's nothing like it, man.

The BMW is a terrific and capable car, but to me, it looks like every other 3 series bimmer out there (in other words, it looks like your average compact sedan), and so to me, it's just not very special. The Boxster is a roadster with beautiful lines, and looks sexy even standing still. When I get into my car, I feel like it's a treat each and every time I start her up. That is why I picked the Boxster.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:36 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by boxtaboy
I have driven the M3, and while it is a thrill power-wise, I like the simple feel of the Boxster when driving it because it feels like you can just throw the car around curves since it is so well balanced. It's not fast, but you can still have a lot of fun with it. Throw the top down, listen to the engine behind your head & the intake growl as you shift from gear to gear. There's nothing like it, man.

The BMW is a terrific and capable car, but to me, it looks like every other 3 series bimmer out there (in other words, it looks like your average compact sedan), and so to me, it's just not very special. The Boxster is a roadster with beautiful lines, and looks sexy even standing still. When I get into my car, I feel like it's a treat each and every time I start her up. That is why I picked the Boxster.
BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine

Old 02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ekam
You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.
That is the first time I used that word. Try contributing something other then inaccurate criticisms. This is a thread on 987s or E46, not your opinions of me. You are !

Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
braddmlewis is on a distinguished road
I think in short the answer is this - you will LOVE either car. It is like when you go looking for flat screen TV's you can always see differences when you look at them in best buy but once you get it home you forget what the other choices were because you are enjoying it so much!
I think the best option is having an M5 and a 987S - a REAL dose of power plus the fun of a roadster! - Now off to get my mega millions ticket!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 PM
crxwv has a spectacular aura aboutcrxwv has a spectacular aura aboutcrxwv has a spectacular aura about
you are in boxster forum..... you will get different answers from M3 forum.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crxwv
you are in boxster forum..... you will get different answers from M3 forum.
Funny thing is he posted this same question in the BMW M forum on this website, and most people still said to go for the Boxster S.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:03 PM
crxwv has a spectacular aura aboutcrxwv has a spectacular aura aboutcrxwv has a spectacular aura about
that means we got a winner!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by crxwv
that means we got a winner!
Yeah, but at the end of the day, it's still a personal choice. The OP is leaning I think towards the M3, so if that's his gut feeling, I think he should just get the M3 and see how he likes it. They're both great cars.

Last edited by boxtaboy; 02-25-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 AM
renzop is on a distinguished road
I never understand these "help me decide what I like best" posts. The OP should look at both cars, drive both cars, price both cars and make his decision. Asking us which car to buy is like asking whether you should get chocolate or vanilla ice cream.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 AM
belkamc2 is on a distinguished road
get a Boxster S and enjoy!

Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
It can be very helpful to have other owners help you decide. Just because you test drive the cars a bit doesn’t mean you learn all their quarks and characteristics. Ice cream is what is is, either bad or good, you like it or you don’t. Cars can at first be good, but then quickly get boring, or they can be initially ok and grow on you to become amazing! There are many factors like value, fun, maintenance costs, performance, ergonomics, storage space, resale etc. Not as simple as first impressions.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Ginza Man will become famous soon enough
I owned 05' 987s for over two years and drove m3 smg and convertible few times. I guess it has to do with what buyer is interested. Do you need 4 seats? Do you want to race in highway to win other guy? If this is the case, get m3. If you care for what it means by "there is no substitution" get boxster s. Boxster has quicker reaction to your input and sticks much better in corners. Best thing is drive both and you decide. There is nothing like driving 987s top down..which I just did 30 mins ago... 987s fits me like a glove...actually it's a street go kart...I am never going to stop buying Porsche until they stop making it. Ask yourself if you are person who like racing someone or taking fast turn on every corner? As for bmw I would get 7 series for my next car but not for enjoyment or a thrill. My friend owns m3..his third one but got bored again quickly.. He is considering m5 but....that's him. Unless you are speed freak...boxster s has enough power in my opinion. I want to add that m3 is just another car but boxster s is very special in so many ways. You won't know what I mean until you own one. btw boxster S out slalom Enzo by car and driver. That's something special!

Last edited by Ginza Man; 03-12-2009 at 12:11 AM.