Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Stress Bar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Johnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to behold
Rear Stress Bar

Does anyone have any experience with using a lower rear stress bar ? Essentially, this item bolts to the rear sub-chassis just behind the triangular stress plate. This product is designed to keep the rear camber in place and "tighten" things up a little bit better. I know that Mantis Racing makes a popular one.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 AM
EJ_2001_986_S is on a distinguished road
A number of people over at PPBB have put them on and IIRC the overall response is that it appears to work as advertised, no hard numbers to back it up though. There's 3 or 4 vendors of them, Mantis, Pedro, I think Schnell, they should be easy to shop around for.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
Yep. Got one... I like. I do notice more precision from the rear of the car at traction limits. Useful for track or AX where you spend a lot of time at the ragged edge. Not much benefit for a street car.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 AM
chaud is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Little Gator
Does anyone have a recommendation for how to press out the 2 studs so I can install a stress bar? I tried to first let some penetrating oil work its' way into the hole and then tried to tap them out with a soft mallet. But neither would move. I am concerned that if I get more aggressive with a big hammer, that I could crack the aluminum sub-frame the studs are pressed into because it is less then 1/2 inch thick. Using a jack on it only managed to lift the car up, and the stud didn't budge.
If I remember correctly, I had a bit of time getting them out at first since I was holding back. A good solid whack dead on should get it right out.

(Try to loosen the nuts slightly first, then give it a good solid whack so that it moves... then remove the nut, and remove the stud/bolt out upwards from the top)

Last edited by chaud; 09-28-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:20 AM
chaud is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Does anyone have any experience with using a lower rear stress bar ? Essentially, this item bolts to the rear sub-chassis just behind the triangular stress plate. This product is designed to keep the rear camber in place and "tighten" things up a little bit better. I know that Mantis Racing makes a popular one.
JD, I've got a solid bar, and it does tighten the rear up, and worked as advertised, so to speak. I definitely noticed a positive handling change with the addition of the bar. In my opinion, it is well worth it for a relatively inexpensive mod.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 AM
harryrcb will become famous soon enough
Got One, works great, makes a lot of sense to have one, don't know why Porsche didn't put it there in the first place.