Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our new Boxster stinks ... Literally.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Stevie is on a distinguished road
Our new Boxster stinks ... Literally.

We just bought a 2006 CPO Boxster from the local dealer. It has 26000 miles on the clock.

But it STINKS when you park it!

Seriously, I have driven manual transmissions all of my life, and I know that I'm not riding the clutch. But when you park the car in the garage after a drive, it smells of either brake or clutch heat.

Is this normal for these cars, or do I need to make a trip to the dealer?

EDITED UPDATE: I just took another ride this evening. No "spirited" driving, just leisurely cruising for about 10 miles. The "odor" I am smelling is a heat odor and it's coming from the side vents in front of the rear wheels. Moreso on the passenger side. I don't really think this is something "burning", but rather just heat from the engine. So I have to ask ... is this "heat odor" normal?

Thanks again for everyone's responses.

Last edited by Stevie; 01-04-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Def not normal on any car. Check to make sure the ebrake is not pulled. Take a sniff around to see if it's indeed the brakes. If ebrake is sticking, you should be able to feel the heat coming from the wheel after a drive. Another way to check if ebrake is sticking is by pushing it on level ground (make sure car is not in gear and ebrake is released all the way). Either way, definitely get it checked out.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:10 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
hell no.....take it back b4 its to late...

Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks lithium. I didn't think this was "normal". I have made sure that the e-brake is not pulled. I'll give it a "sniff test" the next time it is driven.

Looks like it's going back to the svc dept for a quick check ...

Old 01-06-2010, 03:29 PM
anothervr6kid will become famous soon enough
What ended up being the problem?

I just bought one and it stinks as well but haven't had time to look at it... I bought it from across the country and don't want to pay to take it to the dealer so I want to look at it first. I know the car sat for a while, so i'm guessing its just dirt on the engine or exhasut that needs to burn off or the brakes.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
jderianSF is on a distinguished road
Not necessarily bad

I don't think that the smells are necessarily bad.
I on occasion will smell funny stuff coming from the vents, and did some research.
It could easily be the cosmoline burning off of the engine (though 26k miles seems a little high).

If you are driving in a spirited manner, then you are using the clutch at higher than normal rpms. This use of the clutch may be reason for the smell, but the Porsche clutches are pretty stout.

Let us know what the service department finds (if anything)

P.S. My car has about 18k miles.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:12 AM
thnxbabe has a spectacular aura aboutthnxbabe has a spectacular aura about
If you are worried, definitely have it checked. It is worth the peace of mind, but. . .

I will go out on a limb and say it is normal. Mine used to smell after every drive, and it was a well maintained car - no issues.

It is simple heat to go along with the snap, crackle and pop of your engine cooling. The clutch smell was different than the engine heat smell, but depending on how quickly I got home from work, what traffic was like etc, I would occasionally get that smell as well.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
sounds like the Seinfeld episode. Eventually he got rid of the car because of BBO

Old 01-08-2010, 02:03 PM
mwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the rough
my cayman also smells... it reminds me of burnt oil.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Got it scheduled to go in next week to have a weak battery replaced (under warranty ... thank GOD) and I'll see what they say about the "aroma" and let everyone know.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Please do.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:14 PM
did you ever take it in? what did they say?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Sorry about not responding about this sooner. The weather here has either been SNOW or RAIN. At any rate ....................

The dealer saw the car this morning. The Svc Mgr smelled the same odor that I did, and said that all I am smelling is HEAT. Nothing out of the ordinary. He even cranked another Boxster and drove 3 laps around their complex and when he stopped it, the same "odor" was present. He suggested that it helps at times to let the car idle for 30-45 seconds before shutting it off.

So ..... all is good. At least as far as I can tell.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info... I don't have to worry about mine now.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:35 PM
jderianSF is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevie
Sorry about not responding about this sooner. The weather here has either been SNOW or RAIN. At any rate ....................

The dealer saw the car this morning. The Svc Mgr smelled the same odor that I did, and said that all I am smelling is HEAT. Nothing out of the ordinary. He even cranked another Boxster and drove 3 laps around their complex and when he stopped it, the same "odor" was present. He suggested that it helps at times to let the car idle for 30-45 seconds before shutting it off.

So ..... all is good. At least as far as I can tell.

This is always good to hear.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Our new Boxster stinks ... Literally.