Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a new spyder try a carwash yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Atob is on a distinguished road
Anyone with a new spyder try a carwash yet?

Touchless of course.... I asked my sales person if I could use it in the winter her in Boston.... Weather the top was tight enough.... He really had no answer

Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 AM
ESEL is a glorious beacon of lightESEL is a glorious beacon of lightESEL is a glorious beacon of lightESEL is a glorious beacon of lightESEL is a glorious beacon of light
I believe I read in various information it is NOT recommended you use a car wash with the Spyder due to the pressure of the spray on the top and sides.

Do a google search and you will come up with various articles regarding the top and its capabilities.

Still...I think it is a great looking car!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Kirk will become famous soon enoughKirk will become famous soon enough
I don't take my standard Boxster through the high pressure car washes - the top leaks around the side windows. I wouldn't see how a Spyder would be any better. Hand wash would be best.

Kirk

Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Kirk
I don't take my standard Boxster through the high pressure car washes - the top leaks around the side windows. I wouldn't see how a Spyder would be any better. Hand wash would be best.

Kirk
agreed... but my bigger concern/question is about using the spyder year round... is the top tight enough to withstand snow... blowing in or otherwise.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Atob
agreed... but my bigger concern/question is about using the spyder year round... is the top tight enough to withstand snow... blowing in or otherwise.

good question....wouldliek to know also.

i would think it would not be tight enough if the winds are up.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
good question....wouldliek to know also.

i would think it would not be tight enough if the winds are up.
i asked three different dealers the same question... they had no answer.
you would think porsche would have given them some info on the subject... considering how big a part of the cars design is the roof.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
essayons will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Atob
i asked three different dealers the same question... they had no answer.
you would think porsche would have given them some info on the subject... considering how big a part of the cars design is the roof.
I had one dealer tell me that the top is really just for looks more than anything else. More like a "hey, I'm out on a long drive and it just started raining, better put it on" rather than a "I've got a top, so I can go take a long drive in the rain".

He definitely wasn't the most knowledgeable GM, and it got really annoying the way he kept saying "porsh", but that's one thing I'd agree with him on.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 AM
rsfdoc is on a distinguished road
Certainly suggest a swimsuit and plenty of towels. Don't know for certain but does not appear it would be water tight under pressure at angles.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 PM
driver8 is on a distinguished road
The Spyder is like the earlier 911 Speedsters, designed to be fair weather cars. They do not do well in the rain, and are not really designed for the winter conditions of the Northeast. Therefore a carwash, touchless or otherwise would be out of the questions IMHO.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
I just picked up a Cayman the other day and my salesman wanted me to get the Spyder instead so I drove it etc and was a blast to drive but he said the top was really not safe to even drive with on at speeds over 80mph. So a drive through car wash is 100% out of the question.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:06 AM
navanod will become famous soon enoughnavanod will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by driver8
The Spyder is like the earlier 911 Speedsters, designed to be fair weather cars. They do not do well in the rain, and are not really designed for the winter conditions of the Northeast. Therefore a carwash, touchless or otherwise would be out of the questions IMHO.
I disagree with the rain comment. I live in Oregon and have taken my Spyder out several times in downpours without any issues at all... I wouldn't test it with snow though as the roof is held by tension and the snow weight could stretch the fabric.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that Porsche tests all of their cars in the dead of winter in the most remote frozen tundras of Canada. I'd really find it hard to believe that they would half-a$$ it with the Spyder or any other car they build now days.

Please take your car to the car wash (with some extra towels) and let us know how it fares. If you do it now while the Northeast is witnessing temps in the 100s, it should dry very, very quickly.

Dave

Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Called porscheusa two days ago to get a definitive answer. Even they had no clue.???? Now I have a 'case number'???? Said they would call me with an answer..... Jesus, pretty pathetic.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:38 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Guys,

You all need to read the write up that Pete Stout/ Excellence .did on driving and USING one of these. He also used it in a fairly hard rainstorm. He wrote about the limitations as well as how well it shielded from rain.... and top speed with the top up. WORTH READING.

Basically, it was fine in the rain with limitations and you must be careful with how well the top is fitted/adjusted unless you enjoy being wet. Top speed with top up was, I believe, about 110 BUT read the article.

A touch-less car wash? Many decades ago I drove a '54 Speedster as my daily driver. I spent months making up a set of Lucite side curtains and designed them to tuck inside the windshield for visibility and weather "protection". I also put all new weather seals in [such as they were]. Then, just to see what it would do, I took it through a low pressure touch-less car wash. About 1/2 way through that thing I fled! Drenched. I also remember driving Hi 1 between SF and Monterey with an oversize towel on my lap and another one around my neck. After an hour or so, I pulled over and wrung both out. It was like a... bath tub! I was laughing so hard about it... I finally dropped the top and removed the side curtains and kept the speed up.. it was drier than with the top up.

If you buy one of these it is for the ...driving experience, not for the practical sports car. If you want really good heat/cool/protection, buy the regular cars. But.. this car reminds me of a modern interpretation of the old Speedster. I just wish they had taken the $$ they spent on that silly dual hump body kit and used it to make the car lighter.

JR

Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by john rice
Guys,

You all need to read the write up that Pete Stout/ Excellence .did on driving and USING one of these. He also used it in a fairly hard rainstorm. He wrote about the limitations as well as how well it shielded from rain.... and top speed with the top up. WORTH READING.

Basically, it was fine in the rain with limitations and you must be careful with how well the top is fitted/adjusted unless you enjoy being wet. Top speed with top up was, I believe, about 110 BUT read the article.

A touch-less car wash? Many decades ago I drove a '54 Speedster as my daily driver. I spent months making up a set of Lucite side curtains and designed them to tuck inside the windshield for visibility and weather "protection". I also put all new weather seals in [such as they were]. Then, just to see what it would do, I took it through a low pressure touch-less car wash. About 1/2 way through that thing I fled! Drenched. I also remember driving Hi 1 between SF and Monterey with an oversize towel on my lap and another one around my neck. After an hour or so, I pulled over and wrung both out. It was like a... bath tub! I was laughing so hard about it... I finally dropped the top and removed the side curtains and kept the speed up.. it was drier than with the top up.

If you buy one of these it is for the ...driving experience, not for the practical sports car. If you want really good heat/cool/protection, buy the regular cars. But.. this car reminds me of a modern interpretation of the old Speedster. I just wish they had taken the $$ they spent on that silly dual hump body kit and used it to make the car lighter.

JR
link?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a new spyder try a carwash yet?