Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Race exhaust for Cayman/Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:26 PM
box986 is an unknown quantity at this point
any negative impact on low end torque.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:26 AM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lym0yAM5DY

Cruising around town. Thoughts to come...

Last edited by tradecraft; 07-06-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:24 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Cool....

Jason

Old 12-25-2010, 04:38 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
On a cold start, the car sounds like a mean/pissed off/burbling monster. Todd at Exhaust Works (million thanks to him for installing this on christmas eve to take advantage of the dry weather) told me when he first started the car, his neighbors came out to see what car was making that noise. He wanted to charge me less than usual since it was such an easy install. Sure enough, as I left, people popped out again. Youtube doesn't do the sound justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msGqPjE1a5Y

Running errands around town, the car is just plain loud. Anything under 3k is being unfair to the setup. I had a pair of Peltors in my pocket because I didn't know just how loud this system would be, and this would be the only situation where I might be inclined to use them. If you spend the majority of time putting around at <4000 RPM, stop reading here. Sorry to anyone I drove by in downtown Palo Alto.

For aggressive driving, this is how the Cayman should sound. Once I get above 3,000RPM, the throatiness kicks in and I forget about the decibel level. Downshifts sound kick ***. Even when I let off the go-pedal, the exhaust emits a nice hum, reminding me to start accelerating again. It's surprising, but the car is sometimes louder after I stop accelerating. I found the best way to quiet it down in that situation is to barely apply my right foot. Driving around Skyline, I discovered a pretty bad RPM band to sit in: 2800-2900RPM. Anything above or below that is fine, but otherwise, it's a real headache. I drove on the freeway for a few minutes and it's really not as bad as I had feared. When I want some semblance of "quiet," I simply drop it into 7th and cruise along.

Compared to my Fabspeed Maxflo, the difference night and day; I can't believe the same company makes both of these products. The car screams to redline. Fabspeed claims a few additional hp with this system compared to the Maxflo, and from looking at the system, I have no reason to doubt that. Can you have a conversation with your passenger with this installed? Sure. Just don't have one while you're accelerating. Race car sound - take it or leave it.

Last edited by tradecraft; 12-25-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Krokodil is on a distinguished road
Weight of the new system?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Krokodil
Weight of the new system?
Hey Krokodil, the Race system weighs 14 Lbs so it saves about 40 Lbs from the rear end of a Boxster or Cayman. This helps many factors when racing and it really wakes the car up in sound and power from the mid range and up. Let me know if you have any other questions and PM me if your interested in one. Group Buys are welcome..

Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Krokodil is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Alex@Fabspeed
Hey Krokodil, the Race system weighs 14 Lbs so it saves about 40 Lbs from the rear end of a Boxster or Cayman. This helps many factors when racing and it really wakes the car up in sound and power from the mid range and up. Let me know if you have any other questions and PM me if your interested in one. Group Buys are welcome..
Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting. My stock exhaust weighed 48#, my Fabspeed catback was 39#, and my current custom straight through race exhaust weighs 29#. The muffler cans are 5 pounds each, so even without those we would still be at 20#.

14 pounds is obviously very light, so I am curous what thickness tubing is used. I assume it is all SS.

Current exhaust is fine and the FS catless headers are still working great.

Cheers,

Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Krokodil
Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting. My stock exhaust weighed 48#, my Fabspeed catback was 39#, and my current custom straight through race exhaust weighs 29#. The muffler cans are 5 pounds each, so even without those we would still be at 20#.

14 pounds is obviously very light, so I am curous what thickness tubing is used. I assume it is all SS.

Current exhaust is fine and the FS catless headers are still working great.

Cheers,
Hey Krokodil, I think I made a mistake when weighing it, I didnt account for the two inlet pipes with the system. Its all 16 Gauge Stainless steel and the correct weight is about 20-22 Lbs. Sorry for the mistake
thanks,

Old 02-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Simon Tibbett is on a distinguished road
That sounds awesome.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:22 AM
tawheed is on a distinguished road
Any clips of this thing installed on a 986S? I'm tempted as the Borla (which people said was loud) is not nearly loud enough..

Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by tawheed
Any clips of this thing installed on a 986S? I'm tempted as the Borla (which people said was loud) is not nearly loud enough..
Hey tawheed, I do not have any videos of the Race system in house but I have a Boxster coming in next week for it so I will make a video right away and post it.
thanks,

Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 PM
rob76turbo is on a distinguished road
Would love to hear it rev!

Scott,

Can you post a video, letting us hear the monster roar? I still want to get the angriest, most pissed-off sound for my CS and figure this is it.
Any post under heavy acceleration would be helpful!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gNjMPd709w&hd=1

Revving and driveby. Sorry for the delay.

Last edited by tradecraft; 03-28-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 AM
rob76turbo is on a distinguished road
Thanks Scott

Perfect! Love that sound. Now just need to find the funds....after the Matis deep oil sump and PS cooler and.....

Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM
tawheed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Alex@Fabspeed
Hey tawheed, I do not have any videos of the Race system in house but I have a Boxster coming in next week for it so I will make a video right away and post it.
thanks,
Alex,

I ordered and installed this system earlier this month, unfortunately the car is still in storage so as soon as the snow melts I'll be enjoying it!

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Race exhaust for Cayman/Boxster