Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman makes Top 10 Worst Selling List by Forbes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Simple really. The cayman is junk, the engine is in the wrong spot, it is not a sportscar, it is ugly, and everyone hates it.

Now, does that make someone want to sell theirs yet???? These dang things wont come down to my budget and I have wanted one for 2 years! No one wants to let their Cayman go.

Regarding the 911 vs Mid Engine platform war- The boxster and 911 platform is much more different than just the engine location. I had a 986 that I truly, truly loved. When I found out I was having my first born, I panicked and sold the car. When I realized my life was not totally different and I could still have some fun, I bought a 996 (because of the backseat). The driving impressions of the two cars is night and day. With cornerning, handling, road feedback, weight, on it's side the boxster was clearly the more fun and dynamic car. The 996 was good for what I bought it for - touring, speed, comfort, ect.

Fast forward a few years, I tried a lotus (blast), another 996, and a 996tt. I finally found the right weekender for me. The power of the 996tt makes up for a lot of the weight problems of the 996 platform and is fun to drive.

What I want is the Cayman for daily driving. The 987 platform is probably the most fun you can have while retaining some practical amenities. Wish the owners would just let them go every once in awhile.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Yes, I agree the Cayman is junk and all you owners ought to dump them as fast as you can. I'm buy yours out of mercy (of course!) and the goodness of my heart.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:34 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Sadly, Porsche is not putting the time and attention into either developing the Cayman line or to its build quality. IMHO this is a serious strategic error on the part of Porsche.

Porsche continues to come out with 911 variants to the point that 911's are losing their appeal. 911's are so built up that they are losing their mystique. A basic 911 is lost is the mish-mash of upscaled 911 variants.

Furthermore, Porsche is taking the 911 further up the scale by building Quarter-of-a-Million-Dollar variants, and they are milking the market with $100,000+ versions with minor upgrades.

All that said, I am NOT looking forward to the next remake of the 911 because Porsche is Panamera-ing its interior. I do not like all the buttons. It is far too busy.

I do not like Porsche's Panamera-izing of the new Cayenne interior. While the dash of the original may be mocked as elephantine, those honking air vents of the new 2011 Cayenne look absolutely hideous!

Now that crome duct work looks more like an elephant or the intake for a jet. It dominates the interior. Ever more sadly, the interior sacrificed function for form as the new interior with it'a Panamerized buttons resulted in Porsche placing the gear shifter in an unaturally forward place--making it less of a driver's SUV.

Porsche needs to take the Cayman upscale now and give it the fit & finnish of the 911; otherwise, Porsche faces a downward trend in sales. However, now would be a good time to buy one's favorite sports car before Porsche buggers it up.

Last edited by gr8ful; 01-15-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
I think the market for "a driver's SUV" is pretty tiny, so I doubt many people care (including Porsche).

I want to agree with you about the Cayman, but can't. I have an 09 and the build quality is great, as is the car as a whole.

They just can't do any more with it without destroying the 911 brand. Period. End of story.

It is what it is. Porsche is the most profitable car manufacturer for a reason.

I'm guessing they know what they are doing from a business and financial standpoint. Unfortunately certain business and financial decisions aren't always going to make each and every "driver" happy.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Well, the uses and flexibility of the Cayenne are very broad. While I don't like the styling changes, I am confident Porsche has improved the 2011 Cayenne drive train significantly. I'd like to see more Cayenne's enterred into ralley events and cross country races.

If the Cajun turns out well, it is because people want a driver's SUV. I certainly like mine and plan upon keeping it as long as I can. Building the Cajun is the right move for Porsche as is building the new 928 (the original of which was to replace the 911) on the Panamera platform.

Perhaps I am using the wrong terms. Trim level and materials are important to me. For instance, while the dealer loaner car is a newer Cayenne than mine, it was so basic that I would never have it. I like the readouts from my instruments far better. I love leather and that alcantara headliner.

Porsche puts more resources into their 911. Their 911 remains in-house where their employees have a large stake in continued success as those in Stuttgart are the highest paid of their line employees.

Guess, I owe an apology. Build quality is good in the Cayman. Fact is Porsche is always improving most aspects as a series ages.

I think the interview in PCA's publication was the most revealing: Because Porsche is given (more) concessions for running a rear-engined racer, Porsche fears that should they race a mid-engined racer, Porsche will lose those concessions.

I suppose one could bring pressure on Porsche for being "afraid" to race without those advantageous concessions, being to afraid to race on a level field.

Dare I say (loathfully) "Affirmative Action for automobiles!"