Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Replace Cayman S Air Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:28 AM
06CaymanS is on a distinguished road
How to Replace Cayman S Air Filter

I did not find a lot of good threads on air filter replacement for the Cayman and Cayman S, so I've decided to post this "how to" thread. I am sure this is incredibly trivial to most, but i thought it might help some. And considering the amount that Porsche charges to perform some of this minor maintenance, it could come in handy.

1. Remove carpet. Simply take a flat head screwdriver and gently insert it in front of the hook ring where the cargo net attaches. After you have the flat head in place, work your fingers under the carpet and being to gently pull back while making your way around. You will need to insert the flat head again in a few places where the carpet has a lip that is tightly tucked under the plastic.

2. Remove Shield. You will need a star socket. Any decent ratchet set from Lowes or sears will have them. If not, you can buy them separate at your favorite hardware store for a few bucks.

My engine compartment was extremely dusty and judging by the looks of my filter, im pretty sure it was only replaced once, if that, by the previous owner.

3. The filter is located on the drivers side. It is underneath a plastic cover. Simply remove two phillips head screws and the cover comes off. Make sure you remove the screws carefully and set them aside. They can easily be dropped down into the engine bay or on top of the engine.

4. Filter box cover removed to reveal a very dirty filter. Note screw at top front. You will need to remove this screw as well in order to remove the filter and front plastic reinforcement/bracket. Tug on filter and then rotate. It will pop loose and then you will be able to maneuver it out of the plastic housing.

Close up of dirty filter

And dirty filter again.

5. Install new filter and reverse above procedure. I do not have a new filter yet, but i will update the thread and photos when i install it. I did not really expect to find such a dirty filter, but considering that my oil was pretty dirty, i should have expected it.

Last edited by 06CaymanS; 01-18-2011 at 12:32 AM.