Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on Boxster 987.1 and 987.2 purchase

Old 04-13-2011, 01:40 AM
kisho is on a distinguished road
Looking for advice on Boxster 987.1 and 987.2 purchase

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums and currently looking at buying a used Boxster with a budget of around 40k, and hesitating between getting a used 1st Gen 987 Boxster S (2007/2008) or a 2nd Gen 987 Base Boxster (2009/2010). What do you think would make a better buy?

I'm planning to use the car as a daily driver and take the occasional week end trip with it, so I would like a comfortable ride with an engine noise that doesn't become too intrusive over long distances, not for me but for my passenger

Is the newer base Boxster better in that regard? Will the performance gap be felt a lot in daily driving? (I'm not planning to take it to the track or anything).
How about the cabin quality and comfort between the two generations? How is the wind noise at higher speeds with the top up? If going for a 1st gen 987, should I pick a 5 speed manual or 6 speed? 6 would make more sense for the lower RPM, but then again I'd like to have confirmation from current owners.

Here are a couple of Boxsters I found doing a quick search online:
-2007 Boxster S with 15k miles
-2010 Boxster with around 20k miles
Both have the configuration I want: 6 speed manual, heated seats and xenons.

Something to factor is that, not being a US citizen, I might have to sell the car back in a few years if I went back home. I have the feeling the newer base Boxster would depreciate less than an older S...

Hoping to get some feedback from current and previous owners of Boxsters from both generations!

Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 AM
DavidM is on a distinguished road
Can you get a Boxster S with a 5 sped manual? I thought they were all 6-speed.

I have the feeling the newer base Boxster would depreciate less than an older S

Generally speaking - older cars depreciate less than newer cars. Most of the 'value' is lost while the car is (relatively) new.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 AM
PorscheAzzurri is on a distinguished road
I would personally go with the S, as far as road noise/wind noise goes it is very good for a soft top cabrio. You can even have conversations at a normal volume during top down driving. The Newer you go the more value you have to lose. If you are planning on getting rid of it quickly you are definitely better off going with one of the older Boxster S options.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:23 PM
harryrcb will become famous soon enough
Even thought I like the S model better (mostly because of performance) I think your money would be better spent on the 09. The MAIN reason is Porsche redesigned the engine and did away with the dreaded IMS which will sooner or later catch up with you. As you stated, you are not interested in tracking the car the non S will have a much more comfortable ride and better mileage. The base has plenty of power for any street use, but it's your call.
BTW Welcome to the forum and good luck deciding whichever you go for it will be an awesome car.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM
kisho is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the answers. I'm going to be test driving the S saturday and a base Cayman tomorrow to have an idea of the differences... I will also try a base Boxster at some point when I find a nice one.
The good thing about the S is that it is certified and has a guarantee on it until 2014. Considering it has the same price as other base I see and more power, it looks like a decent deal...