Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S - Brake pads for the track?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Are the stock pads ceramic pads? When I track my JCW, I use XP12 front and XP10’s in the rear. When I go back to the street, I swap out to ceramic (bobcats I think.... made by Carbotech)

The reason I use the ceramics on the street is so I don’t have to prep the rotor for ceramic race pads. You obviously can’t just change out pads unless both your street and track pads are ceramics.

So what are the factory pads?

Thanks,

Mark
Standard OEM Porsche pads are semi-metalic
Porsche PCCB is a true ceramic brake system not to be confused with Carbotech aftermarket pads:
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...lectedVariant=

http://www.ctbrakes.com/performance.asp

Old 05-27-2012, 01:19 AM
986_c6 is on a distinguished road
If you consider pads used on both my Boxster and Vette, then I have used Porterfield R4, Cobalt XR2, Raybestos ST43, Hawk DTC70, Mintex Race, EBC Blue (we had test sets before they actually sold them), and maybe one or two more that I may have left out.

Hawk DTC70's by far the best race pad, and believe it or not, the easiest on the rotors. Then the rank would go like this Cobalt XR2>Porterfield R4/Mintex Race>Raybestos ST43>EBC Blue.

This is just my opinion of course, and am definitely not a racer. Enjoy!

Old 05-27-2012, 05:00 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 986_c6
This is just my opinion of course, and am definitely not a racer. Enjoy!

Unless you’re like my wife and buys brake pads like she buys shoes, then I’d say you’re a racer...lol. I’ve been racing for years and have never used anything but carbotech pads. Sounds like you’ve run through the whole gamut of brake pad selection.

Mark

Old 05-30-2012, 12:16 AM
986_c6 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Unless you’re like my wife and buys brake pads like she buys shoes, then I’d say you’re a racer...lol. I’ve been racing for years and have never used anything but carbotech pads. Sounds like you’ve run through the whole gamut of brake pad selection.

Mark
Funny thing Mark, is that I buy "shoes" wherever there is a sale (read: from other forum members, or clearance items), and am not afraid of trying other brands.

You would think that my lap times would be more consistent if I had same set of pads to work with time after time. Hmm, come to think of it, my lap times are very consistent even though I use different pads...I guess we qualify as true racers, we don't need new everything, we don't have a backup car, we don't have sponsors here and there, and don't have a big wad of cash to use every race!

Track on my friend. Kevin

Old 05-30-2012, 03:29 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 986_c6
Funny thing Mark, is that I buy "shoes" wherever there is a sale (read: from other forum members, or clearance items), and am not afraid of trying other brands.

You would think that my lap times would be more consistent if I had same set of pads to work with time after time. Hmm, come to think of it, my lap times are very consistent even though I use different pads...I guess we qualify as true racers, we don't need new everything, we don't have a backup car, we don't have sponsors here and there, and don't have a big wad of cash to use every race!

Track on my friend. Kevin