Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 PM
sprinter is infamous around these parts
Cayman R

I'm going to be a devils advocate here. I have a 2010 GT3 and a 2011 Boxster Spyder. I was considering getting a Cayman R to fill out the stable, but instead I ordered an Audi TT RS. If the Cayman R is so great, why are there 97 for sale on Autotrader right now versus 16 TT RSs. The similar performance and the $20,000 price difference convinced me. I know a lot of people on this forum are going to say that Audi's are crap, but I think they are pretty good! I have a 2011 A4 S Line as a DD, and I also had an RS4.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
If you have to ask.......

Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 PM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
If I had an Audi TT, I would give it to you. Buy what you want, you can only drive one at a time.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I wouldn't get a Cayman R if I already had a Boxster Spyder. IMO, they're too similar to warrant having both.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
I wouldn't get a Cayman R if I already had a Boxster Spyder. IMO, they're too similar to warrant having both.
true...

Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Flybot has a spectacular aura aboutFlybot has a spectacular aura about
You own a couple of Porsches and a Audis and you come to a Cayman/Boxter board asking why get a Cayman? Whats the point of this thread? You have your own test drives in the garage and your decision is already made.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
One reason there are more Cayman R's listed for sale - more were made. The TT-RS is a fairly limited production vehicle. Another reason - a new Cayman model is on the horizon and some people are waiting to see what upgrades it may offer. Finally, the Cayman R is a focused sports car and is not for everyone. The TT-RS would be a great grocery-getter.

I have owned a TT-RS. It's a great car and a perfect daily driver. Lots of storage space. The interior is very nice, on a par with Porsche, in some ways better. The engine has gobs of torque from about 1500rpm to redline. The exhaust note is a bit quiet, but is pleasant. Brakes are up to the task. The tuning possibilities are mind-blowing! It is a great sporty car. It is not a great sports car. The steering is numb compared with any Porsche. It plows like a pig when pushed. It's a few hundred pounds heavier than it should be. If you have owned an RS4, you know about the handling issues.

It would be a great complement to your GT3 and Spyder. However, it is no replacement for a Cayman R.

You have a great track weapon in the GT3 (or the Spyder for that matter). The Spyder is an awesome weekend fun car. The TT-RS would be a perfect daily driver. As long as you don't try to swap the roles of the cars, you should be fine. The TT-RS is not a track weapon. The GT3 is not great in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The Spyder is not the best in a downpour. Other than that, the Spyder is pretty close to perfect.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM
RaceCarDriver is infamous around these parts
Only 1,000 Audi TTRS will be made. They sold more Cayman R's than Cayman S' in 2012 so they will never be collectable and thats why there are so many leftovers. How many Cayman R's were sold, 5k?, 10K? No one knows.

I like the CR over the TTRS but since you already have a Boxster spyder I would go for the TTRS

Old 01-22-2012, 02:34 PM
khooni is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
Only 1,000 Audi TTRS will be made. They sold more Cayman R's than Cayman S' in 2012 so they will never be collectable and thats why there are so many leftovers. How many Cayman R's were sold, 5k?, 10K? No one knows.

I like the CR over the TTRS but since you already have a Boxster spyder I would go for the TTRS

CR is made for 1 model year. TT RS will still be made if there is demand. they are 2 different cars. the above post is nonsense but if the OP already has a GT3, you will appreciate that the CR is a different proposition.

The one thing a TT RS won't do well... ie excite you. it is a competent car and a good daily driver. personally a c63 would be less rare but better. I see the TT RS as the ultimate golf.... if that floats your boat. go for it.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
RaceCarDriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by khooni
CR is made for 1 model year. TT RS will still be made if there is demand. they are 2 different cars. the above post is nonsense but if the OP already has a GT3, you will appreciate that the CR is a different proposition.it.
A 987 CAyman R is only made for one year. There will eventually be another CR when the new next gen Cayman debuts this year. Just like Porsche makes a GT3 for eachh new gerneration. It's not a one year only model.

The Audi TT is at the end of its current lifecycle, that why they are releasing the TTRS.

Porsche does not release complete sales figures but admits 40 percent of Cayman sales are Cayman R's. Why would the OP buy a Cayman R if he already has a Boxster spyder, they are the same car except for a roof.

Why would you suggest a C63? I dont think anyone cross shops a C63 with a TTRS or Cayman R

Old 01-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
You have a gt-3 and a boxster so having the R in the stable would be perfection .and you want to break it up with an Aud? What wrong with you ? You bump your head? Get the R and make things right regardless of all bs..it's THE Porsche to own right now IMO

Old 01-23-2012, 06:38 AM
khooni is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
A 987 CAyman R is only made for one year. There will eventually be another CR when the new next gen Cayman debuts this year. Just like Porsche makes a GT3 for eachh new gerneration. It's not a one year only model.

The Audi TT is at the end of its current lifecycle, that why they are releasing the TTRS.

Porsche does not release complete sales figures but admits 40 percent of Cayman sales are Cayman R's. Why would the OP buy a Cayman R if he already has a Boxster spyder, they are the same car except for a roof.

Why would you suggest a C63? I dont think anyone cross shops a C63 with a TTRS or Cayman R
it's only taken them 6 years from the release of the cayman to do a Cayman R and much more if you count the boxster to boxster spyder. Whilst I don't disagree you will see another CR, it may take a long time. It is the same strory as the TT RS.

However, TT RS is the pinnacle of golf well, CR is the pinnacle of 987s, what would you prefer is certainly personal. As to cross shopping with a c63? definitely. It exists in coupe form and is super fun to fling around.
with a potential 487 bhp and 255 tires....... oversteer is a matter of flexing your ankle. as long as snow is not a concern where you live, it's an all year round car.

Lastly, I have a 987 spyder, a CR (next month arriving) and a 4-door c63........ oh and yes, the CR sounds sublime in the car (with PSE on)

Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by khooni
it's only taken them 6 years from the release of the cayman to do a Cayman R and much more if you count the boxster to boxster spyder. Whilst I don't disagree you will see another CR, it may take a long time. It is the same strory as the TT RS.

However, TT RS is the pinnacle of golf well, CR is the pinnacle of 987s, what would you prefer is certainly personal. As to cross shopping with a c63? definitely. It exists in coupe form and is super fun to fling around.
with a potential 487 bhp and 255 tires....... oversteer is a matter of flexing your ankle. as long as snow is not a concern where you live, it's an all year round car.

Lastly, I have a 987 spyder, a CR (next month arriving) and a 4-door c63........ oh and yes, the CR sounds sublime in the car (with PSE on)
Interesting overlap in our cars. I have a CR, C63 sedan, and 911S cab. IMO, the Porsches blow the C63 away as sports cars, but the C63 is a great sports sedan (I like it more than the Panamera). I don't really see the CR and C63 as direct competitors for cross shoping, though they're both fun and comparable in price.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 AM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
I work for a Porsche and Audi dealer... If you have the gt3 and Boxster spyder then TTRS makes te most sense. It's awd and has a back seat and the seats can be put down for a decent storage area.

The TTRS is a capable track car btw... Heck if you have a track day event coming up and its raining you can take that! The inline 5 and exhaust sound great.

Honestly I think the Boxster spyder is better than the cayman r anyways.. Looks wise and lower center of gravity/better handling... At least that's what excellence magazine said.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
sprinter is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your response, everyone!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman R