Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undecided: Boxter Spyder vs New Boxter S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Eduardo, let me translate that for you: Don't sell your spyder.
Yes, I hear you!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, I hear you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Unless you step up to the CR

Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Porschepet
No thanks. If I needed more rigidity, yet retain some of the open air convenience for our mild California climate, I would have kept my old 1953 Topolino! It had suicide doors that, when opened at speed at just the right moment, helped tremendously with those instant, quick-turn maneuvers that made this Fiat legendary! Now, there was a vehicle for the ages!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2012, 03:10 AM
bensf1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porschepet
I don't think most Spyder owners or prospective Spyder owners would consider that a "step up" CR is definitely safer for the track. However the stiffer chassis doesn't translate into making it any faster at the track than the Spyder. Different strokes.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Daggie is infamous around these parts
Spyder!

Love mine.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
There definitely are new, more restrictive, top/roll bar rules for this and future racing seasons. Check with your track committee for the actual restrictions in your area.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bensf1
I don't think most Spyder owners or prospective Spyder owners would consider that a "step up" CR is definitely safer for the track. However the stiffer chassis doesn't translate into making it any faster at the track than the Spyder. Different strokes.
yes as you say different strokes .. I really like the spyder better between the 2.. Boxster S Or Spyder , Love the deisgn !!

Last edited by Fluid987; 04-22-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Z356
No thanks. If I needed more rigidity, yet retain some of the open air convenience for our mild California climate, I would have kept my old 1953 Topolino! It had suicide doors that, when opened at speed at just the right moment, helped tremendously with those instant, quick-turn maneuvers that made this Fiat legendary! Now, there was a vehicle for the ages!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Love that car!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 PM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
I was reading up on the PTV option on the New Boxster. It sounds like it also comes with an LSD? Or is it similar to the BMW system wherein the differential is electronically controlled to behave like an LSD using the rear brakes during cornering.

I guess my question is whether the new Boxster truly has an option to have an LSD. I believe the Spyder comes with LSD without the electronic PTV (which I actually prefer not to have).

Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by stltri
I was reading up on the PTV option on the New Boxster. It sounds like it also comes with an LSD? Or is it similar to the BMW system wherein the differential is electronically controlled to behave like an LSD using the rear brakes during cornering.

I guess my question is whether the new Boxster truly has an option to have an LSD. I believe the Spyder comes with LSD without the electronic PTV (which I actually prefer not to have).
From what I understand, it's not a mechanical LSD, the PTV will act like an electronic LSD.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
Ptv

I read it as it: "includes mechanically controlled differential lock". This is the same as the 991 without PDK.

I will be doing some PCA DEs. Top required up.

I drive my Spyder around with the Sunshield up with back window out. Love it for a person that is not a convertible fan! This is a special car!

Took it on the track for a half day last year. Also drove the cayman no pasm, 997 c2s with pasm in sport, I liked the spyder best.

Euro delivery. The only way to buy a Porsche IMHO. Alps! Ring! Will go back again to buy the next gen cayman S.

Keep us posted on your decision!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:04 PM
stltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura aboutstltri has a spectacular aura about
Doing a European Delivery to drive in the Autobahn and Nurburgring is one of items in my bucket list.. since I recently discovered that the Spyder is not available any longer as an ED, looks like I will have to get the New Boxster S with features similar to the Spyder.

I am not really sold on the PTV. On my current car, I usually turn off the electronic nannies, because they interfere with the handling and predictability on the track. I doubt one could call it a real LSD (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cfgtts
I read it as it: "includes mechanically controlled differential lock". This is the same as the 991 without PDK.
Indeed, I stand corrected!

From the configurator about PTV:
Variable drive torque distribution by intelligent braking of the rear wheels. Includes mechanically locking rear differential with asymmetrical locking (22% under traction, 27% on overrun). Improves agility and steering precision as well as traction and driving stability

Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
The Spyder is one of the best looking cars Porsche has ever made. It's also one of the best handling. With the sport bucket seats, it's simple to add 5 or 6 point restraints. Use arm restraints and you can track it with the top off in most organizations.

For me, there are too many unknown and unproven things about the new version. As far as I can tell, it really offers no performance upgrade to the Spyder. It also has new electronic nannies which could become gremlins.

With your choices, I'd take the Spyder. There is probably no better weekend car available for the price. However, with the frequent track use you are considering, personally I would prefer a hard top. Which is one reason I sold my Spyder and got a Cayman R.
Tell me about your swap? I went from Cayman S then a couple of older box S and then a Spyder and now fairly serious about a new S.

I did coilovers on my Cayman and it was pretty brilliant. The spyder eclipsed it by a hair but it was a little to sparse and wanted something a little more daily. How do you compare the spyder v. cayman r for a daily?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Cayman Cab S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DavidM
If you're OK with the Spyder roof, then to me there's no comparison. Spyder all the way. Much better performance / sports car ... I can't think of anything besides GT3 that'd be better for your intended function.
The new Boxster S laps the Ring @7:58 or so? I think the new Boxster S outperforms the Spyder, just as the 991 S can keep up with the GT3. Same Ring time @7:40 according to fastestlaps.com. Same 0-60 time as well. The new Porsches are just monsters, they keep making better cars than the older generation. Doh, I'm the older generation now. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Cayman Cab S; 04-28-2012 at 02:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Undecided: Boxter Spyder vs New Boxter S