Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking oil and coolent levels on a 987.2 Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM
JimRe is on a distinguished road
Checking oil and coolent levels on a 987.2 Boxster

I could use some VERY basic information on checking the oil and coolent levels on a 2011 Boxster Base with PDK. I realize these are questions that would not normally be asked but I'm unfamilar with the 987.2 series Boxster and these are special circumstances. The issue is that:
  • I'm flying to Florida to pick up the vehicle from a private owner and then immediately driving 900+ miles home;
  • Vehicle was CPO'd in Atlanta and given 30k service at 27,000 miles;
  • Current owner has driven the vehicle 3k miles in ten months and does not have a clue on how to check fluid levels on the car.
Please don't flame me for the questions as I have searched the site and not found anything specific.

A basic answer will surfice (a picture would be great) as I know vehicles, I just don't know 987.2 Boxsters or mid-engine vehicles. I'm unsure at this point if the vehicle even has a oil dipstick (location?) or if it uses a dash oil level indicator like the Carerra.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:05 AM
eric_l is on a distinguished road
To check the Oil level: With engine off insert key and turn to the "on" position. Do _not_ start the engine. The oil level will be measured and displayed. Do this on a level surface and preferably with the engine cold. [The newer Porsche's do not have dip sticks.]

To check the coolant level look in the rear trunk: There is an access panel towards the right side of the engine "hump". Open it up and the coolant is the tube on the right. You can visually check the level (MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COLD.)

Also you might want to check out http://caymanregister.org/ if your already a PCA member.

-Eric

Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 AM
JimRe is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thanks Eric. I probably would have found it in the owner manual (I think he has one) but your information helps a lot.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:55 AM
Merv will become famous soon enoughMerv will become famous soon enough
With the 987.2 the engine must be ON, not off. Also it must be warmed. It is a different engine.