Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:33 PM
RERobbins is on a distinguished road
PASM Question

I'm a bit confused about what the PASM package does and how it will impact the ride on a Cayman S with 20 inch wheels. I do not intend to track the car, which will be used as a daily driver with many highway miles. Does the option allow for both firmer and less firm settings than I'd find with the standard setup and those wheels or simply something that's akin to the stock setup and something even more firm?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RERobbins
I'm a bit confused about what the PASM package does and how it will impact the ride on a Cayman S with 20 inch wheels. I do not intend to track the car, which will be used as a daily driver with many highway miles. Does the option allow for both firmer and less firm settings than I'd find with the standard setup and those wheels or simply something that's akin to the stock setup and something even more firm?
PASM is always on so during certain situations it's still going to firm up a given shock considerably more than the minimum firmness. But it's short lived and you might not notice it when it firms up a given corner. Because PASM is a slightly lowered suspension than without PASM, it is not the softest of all 3 options (standard, sport, PASM). With PASM in sport mode, hang on to your teeth. As for 20" in wheels, if you have in normal setting the pressures are firm. In comfy mode, less so. It's a 3 psi difference between the two.

Last edited by Steve997S; 08-21-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM
soltino is on a distinguished road
If you do not set it to either setting is it the same as the standard suspension except that it comes off and on under certain situations?

tino

Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by soltino
If you do not set it to either setting is it the same as the standard suspension except that it comes off and on under certain situations?

tino
There are only 2 settings for PASM. Sport mode and standard mode. In standard mode, it's slightly more firm than the standard suspension (not PASM or sport suspension).

Standard suspension (least firm)
Sport suspension (moderately firm)
PASM (moderately firm or very firm)

Also, roll bar thickness varies with each suspension option, with the thickness for standard suspension the least think (allowing the most body roll).

PASM is the best overall option and the one which seems to please the most owners. It comes with Sport Chrono so undoubtedly the optimum choice.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 PM
mcomet is on a distinguished road
My wife and I find PASM on the normal setting to be softer than my cheap daily driver ��(a scion xD) and that is with 20" wheels at the recommended 33 psi. Inflate more and/or press the button to make it stiffer and you will feel it... Tho honestly I think when people first get the car it's hard to tell the difference. Depends on what roads you are on etc... I like it as I can turn it on for fun drives on smooth roads or autocross...but I mostly have it in the off standard (light off) mode.

I've left it off from autocross accidentally and after a bit on the freeway I am like why is this ride so harsh??. Haha oh yeah PASM was set to stiff mode...hehe. So it definitely does make a difference.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:01 PM
smasraum is on a distinguished road
I've got a 2008 Boxster S with PASM. I can very definitely feel the difference when it's turned on. If I was on a very smooth road with no bumps or expansion joints like a brand new asphalt road, I might not be able to tell, but on pretty much any real road around here, I can definitely tell. I like a nice firm ride, but both myself and the missus enjoy the smooth (relatively) ride with it off. Things do firm up quite a bit when it's off. I think it's a great upgrade over either the standard or sport suspension. Just in case you haven't read up
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) Optional PASM, the electronic damping control system, actively and continuously regulates the damping force for each wheel according to the road conditions and driving style. In addition, the suspension is 10 mm lower than that of the standard setup. The system is always active in the background, ready to assist you automatically without you having to switch it on. Nevertheless, two modes are available at the push of a button so that you can adapt handling to suit your preferred driving style: ‘Normal’ which is a blend of performance and comfort, and ‘Sport’ where the setup is much firmer. Depending on the mode selected, therefore, PASM can be sportier and more comfortable than the standard chassis. The PASM control unit evaluates the driving conditions and modifies the damping force on each of the wheels optimally in accordance with the selected mode. Sensors record all wheel and body movements. This enables intelligent adaptation of damper stiffness for the selected mode, optimizing contact between each individual tire and the road for even less roll and pitch. In ‘Sport’ mode, for example, the suspension is set to a harder damper rating. On uneven roads, PASM immediately switches to a softer rating, thereby improving contact between the tires and the road. When the road surface improves, PASM automatically reverts to the original, harder rating. If ‘Normal’ mode is selected and the driver’s style becomes more assertive, PASM switches to a harder rating to increase driving stability and road safety.
As you can see, when set to sport mode, it can actually soften up if the road surface is particularly rough, and in normal mode, if you start driving more aggressively, it will actually firm up a bit.