Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Scoring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:01 PM
syswizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Cylinder Scoring

I am considering purchasing a 2013-2015 Boxster.
Some character is selling his on craigslist and claims his regular Boxster is superior to the Boxster S because the S is prone to the scoring.

That's a load of B.S., right ?

That only applies to the pre-2013 Boxsters...right ?

I know the older boxsters also had issues with the engine and one of the bearings. That's why I'm avoiding them like the plague.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by syswizard
I am considering purchasing a 2013-2015 Boxster.
Some character is selling his on craigslist and claims his regular Boxster is superior to the Boxster S because the S is prone to the scoring.

I know the older boxsters also had issues with the engine and one of the bearings. That's why I'm avoiding them like the plague.
Ixnay on the older Boxsters have engine issues. My 2002 Boxster with 310K miles might hear you.

The general rule about car salesman and the character on Craigslist qualifies, is everything the car salesman tells you is intended to get you to buy the car as soon as possible and pay as much for the car as possible.

Based on what you report he said you have to decide if you want to put any trust into what this character has to say about the care and condition of his car.

Buy a base or an S after you have test driven both examples and have made the best decision for you.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Sorry Macster, but your post helps me like a hole-in-a-head.
Older Boxsters had significant engine issues...that are well documented.
You just got lucky.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Sorry Macster, but your post helps me like a hole-in-a-head.
Older Boxsters had significant engine issues...that are well documented.
You just got lucky.
No one has a crystal ball.

My advice I think still is good: It comes down to if you want a base or an S and then finding one in the best condtion you can afford to buy.

Last but not least I have to wonder if you feel the Boxster has significant engine issues then why are you shopping for one? The more recent examples may just not have covered enough miles to bring out the issues.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:07 PM
It is well documented that pre-2013 boxsters were prone to engine failure due to a bearing design problem. In fact, one research firm found 40 design flaws in older boxster engines.
I'm going after a 2013-2015 model.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:28 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
It is well documented that pre-2013 boxsters were prone to engine failure due to a bearing design problem. In fact, one research firm found 40 design flaws in older boxster engines.
That's not right. Once Porsche went with DFI engines they designed out the bearing problem. That was 2009.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Was not suggesting you consider older Boxsters. Consider any years you want. Were I in the market for a used Boxster (or more likely a Cayman) I'd probably consider 2013 and newer examples, too.

I was addressing this:

It is BS. The only consideration that is important is if you want a base or an S.

As for the 40 design flaws... I'm tempted to classify that as (lower case) bs.

Any complex assembly has about as many possible failure modes as there are parts in the assembly. If one runs a large enough number of these assemblies over time a number of these failure modes will appear.

One has to wonder how my Boxster engine made it out of the factory with apparently (so far) none of these 40 design flaws. Must have been a special one off engine with line below the 40 design flaw option boxes, the line that starts with "None of the above", checked.

So far I've replaced more water pumps, fuel pumps, converters, MAFs, AOSs, wheel bearings, coolant tanks, oil filler tube caps, gas caps, even instrument clusters than engines in my Boxster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.