Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a 986 with 996 engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:34 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Tuning a 986 with 996 engine

Hey all,
I've got a client with a 2002 986 "S". It has a 3.6 ltr built by Flat 6 Innovations, racing exhaust, headers, mufflers but the DME is not tuned correctly and does not run to its potential. Has a hard hot restart and does not perform like it should from 3800-5200 rpm. The other reason for a good tune is that the car lives at 8400' elevation and will consistently be even above that. If you have any ideas and suggestions please contact me either by replying here or PM, as he would like to get this sorted out before we get going in the driving season here in CO. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
call todd knighton at protomotive. if its a factory dme he can tune it

Old 04-10-2017, 05:38 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
call softronic.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:40 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Old 04-14-2017, 02:56 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Thanks all, called Todd at Protomotive and he said no problem, so I have connected the owner of the car to Todd. Great to have another option in Softronic as well and I'll pass that info along as well.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
The tuning will be a bit a bit of a problem as a 3.6 996 used a 7.8 DME with 1024k of mem and has vario cam plus. The 2002 Boxster has a 7.2 DME with 512k of mem and W/O Vario cam plus and only a switchable on or off cam or just vario cam. These are 2 of the main controls that are not supported. I would typically recommend transplants within the same DME family or to convert the cars to the proper DME then to run the engine. The problem with street cars is then other items do not function correctly as they are specific for that DME to the year of the cars build. A race car though wouldn't be as big of a problem as you wouldn't care if the AC worked properly, dash or traction control etc.

Best of luck,
Scott

Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winner programmed by Softronic!
Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Softronic
The tuning will be a bit a bit of a problem as a 3.6 996 used a 7.8 DME with 1024k of mem and has vario cam plus. The 2002 Boxster has a 7.2 DME with 512k of mem and W/O Vario cam plus and only a switchable on or off cam or just vario cam. These are 2 of the main controls that are not supported. I would typically recommend transplants within the same DME family or to convert the cars to the proper DME then to run the engine. The problem with street cars is then other items do not function correctly as they are specific for that DME to the year of the cars build. A race car though wouldn't be as big of a problem as you wouldn't care if the AC worked properly, dash or traction control etc.

Best of luck,
Scott

Scott, do you have a tune for my 2016 cayman gts yet?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lardog
Scott, do you have a tune for my 2016 cayman gts yet?

Hello ,

Yes I do and have for some time now. I listed the 2.7 and the 3.4 as the base an S yet not the GTS. I will post it up yet it ends up the same as the S in the HP and TQ. The main differences have been in the tuning for years as we were getting 355-360 out of the 3.4 back in 2008 for the Interseries cars.

Best,
Scott

Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winner programmed by Softronic!
Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello ,

Yes I do and have for some time now. I listed the 2.7 and the 3.4 as the base an S yet not the GTS. I will post it up yet it ends up the same as the S in the HP and TQ. The main differences have been in the tuning for years as we were getting 355-360 out of the 3.4 back in 2008 for the Interseries cars.

Best,
Scott

thx. ill call you soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.