Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman 918 base

Old 09-22-2017, 05:38 PM
john5251 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cayman 918 base

Hi there.

I am new to the forum and to Porsche so if this is the wrong forum to discuss this model please move it.

Just as a reference, in my younger days I owed a '86 300zx turbo 5 speed but that car has been long gone but boy was it fun to drive as a 20 year old.

Not really sure what car I want new/used, but the 918 caught my eye and the price point is nice or perhaps a lease special.

Plan on test driving a few models soon.

On the 918 base, what are the must have options if I get it with PDK?

The GT4 is looks so sweet but I think that is out of my price range.

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
You mean "981" Cayman base. Excellent car. Sport Chrono is typically preferred as it gives some sport modes which enhance shift speed and throttle response. The base radio isn't great so look for the Bose option. Sport exhaust is also nice to have as it really adds depth to the already nice flat 6 sound. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Now I really feel dumb. I meant the 718 base.

Any thoughts on the PASM?

Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
I personally dislike PASM because in sport mode it's useless. Unlike the 981 where you had 3 suspension options (sport, PASM and standard) the 718 only offers 2 (PASM and standard). Sport was the more expensive option of the 3 and clearly the best handling. Sport also gave you beefier anti-roll bars, but also lowered the car an additional 10mm over PASM. PASM in sport mode can only be used when driving on a billiard table.

Everything I said about the 981 applies to the 718 in terms of sport chrono, Bose and sport exhaust. In fact the 718's weakest aesthetic is the sound. The turbo four fails in comparison to the soundtrack of the 3.4 liter flat 6.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 PM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Other options to look at:
- Litronic headlights (standard on the S, extra cost on the base, I believe)
- Heated seats (nice to have and hard to install later). Ventilated seats are nice depending on your budget.
- For sure Sport Exhaust
- PASM is good of you will autocross or tack the car. If so, add PTV too.
- 14/18 way power seats are nice, but if you are the only one driving the car, not as necessary.
- I think Sport Chrono is only available on the S, but I could be wrong.
- Decide for yourself on the navigation system. Any factory installed nav system will not be as good as what you have on your cell phone. Apple Play is available on the 718 - I would do whatever I had to do to get that (assuming you have an iPhone).
- I think back up cameras are standard now - by law.
- You can spend yourself to the poor house on options, especially interior/exterior stuff like full leather, etc.
- Here's an interesting one - the smokers' package. Get's you and extra power outlet.

Are you going to buy from stock or order what you want. If you are going to order, post your configuration here and you will get plenty of comments.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:57 AM
Thanks guys this is good information for me!

I got to test drive the 718 base yesterday but I didn't get to drive anything with the F6. I was a little nervous as I haven't driven anything like that in a long time.

Driver inventory for 2017's is pretty sparse. If I went that route I would do a custom build. I really like the sapphire blue in the pictures but haven't seen it live yet. Dealer said Feb is popular with a spring delivery. I still want to drive a 981 to compare as that is also an option.

I was considering this a 2 year toy (lease) but the wife seems to be on board for a purchase if desired. Not sure what would be best yet.

I will try and post a configuration later today.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Don't be nervous. These cars are very precise under power. Compared to most other cars, they are quite easy to drive with very precise steering and it's very planted no matter what you're doing. One thing about the flat 6 is the power is very linear. No surprises like a turbo surge which is not as easy to predict. With the base models @ 275 hp, you'll find the power is tame during normal driving but quite spirited with a lot of throttle. Personally I think having lower power can be more fun as you get a chance to hear the engine sing without having to push into triple digit speeds. Another thing about buying used is that you get many more options for the dollar if you shop well.

Have you used the online Porsche locator? There are quite a few base Cayman 981s, and 4 actually have sport suspension and sport chrono, 1 of which is PDK. I wasn't sure I'd see any with sport suspension.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Yes, the car felt solid and steady on acceleration - got it up to about 95. I didn't mind the engine noise but I don't have anything to compare it to. (my 86 Z was more of a whistle)

I will check out the car locator. I've been on some of the other ones.

This is one I configured but a few of those options I don't think I really need like lane assist and upgraded seats. I could get it under 70.

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PJJCTQK7

Here is a used one that looked nice. It's funny the color between this on and the new one are supposed to be the same but they look different. What do you think of this one?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7410/overview/

Can you fit golf clubs in the back if you lay them front to back?

Old 09-24-2017, 03:52 PM
If PDK, I'd want the sport design steering wheel (paddles) instead of the multi function wheel, and would want sport chrono so as to make shifts quicker. I've had 3 PDKs (all sport design steering wheels) and change gears exclusively using the paddles. Steering wheels can be changed but they are costly.

Last edited by Steve997S; 09-24-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Under the PDK option is says this:
Automatic mode or manual shift controls on the steering wheel or gear selector

Isn't that the paddle shifters?

Are you suggesting this option?

GT Sport Steering Wheel and Gear Selector in Alcantara®

I don't know what the difference is.

And you are also suggesting the sports chrono pack as well?

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:08 PM
So with PDK you can have the proper paddles where the left paddle downshifts and the right upshifts using fingertips only. This is the most intuitive approach and what most other manufacturers give consumers and it most represents some motorsport gear actuators such as in F1. There is also an option (base option) which you can shift up and down from either the left or right side using your thumbs and fingertips. In both cases, you can also shift from the console using the gear selector. For the 981, the steering wheel with the left - and right + shifters is the sport design steering wheel, which also operates no other functions in the car like the entertainment system or phone. For the that you need the multifunction wheel which which you can shift -/+ from the left or right. I personally believe those with the multifunction wheel or base wheel most likely don't shift much in manual (at least using the steering wheel).

Yes, with PDK if you're planning on really driving the car (shifting manually, etc.) the best options include the sport design steering wheel and sport chrono.

Last edited by Steve997S; 09-25-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:45 PM
Drove a 981 today. Damn that was sweet.

What a tough decision. I don't know what to do. lol

Old 10-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Jon Wicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't forget that with the 981 and the 718, when you get PDK you also get launch control. I checked out your build and it is really nice, well done! That Saphire Blue is very attractive.
If you are buying preowned, consider a CPO from a Porsche Dealer. When shopping around here, the CPO Caymans and Boxsters (981) are about the same price at independent car dealers. So it would be preferable to buy a CPO from Porsche if the price isn't too much more. The Porsche CPO warranty looks to be really nice.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Jon Wicks is an unknown quantity at this point
If you haven't already joined, the Porsche Club of America has a "test drive" program where you get free membership for six months. It gives you access to their classifieds. If you do buy from a private party you would want to buy from here. PCA members are known for taking very good care of their cars. You just missed a very nice Saphire Blue 981 with PASM, Sport Chrono, Carbon Ceramic Brakes for 60K. I think it had around 30K miles it was a one owner, oh yeah and it was a 981 S. I can't find it I think it sold.

Here is a GTS 981 for 72K, with 9K miles.
It is not the color you want but it is a freaking GTS man!!! https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/323838

Old 10-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jon Wicks
Don't forget that with the 981 and the 718, when you get PDK you also get launch control. I checked out your build and it is really nice, well done! That Saphire Blue is very attractive.
If you are buying preowned, consider a CPO from a Porsche Dealer. When shopping around here, the CPO Caymans and Boxsters (981) are about the same price at independent car dealers. So it would be preferable to buy a CPO from Porsche if the price isn't too much more. The Porsche CPO warranty looks to be really nice.
Thanks. Dealerships are all an hour away (except for a small one) which makes it hard.

Is that launch control even without sports chrono? This was a sweet ride yesterday but didn't have any of the options. I was leaning towards a 981 as my first pcar now and see how the 718 shakes out. Having the warranty through 2020 on a CPO is really nice.

https://conshohockenporsche.com/inve...tallic+1458247

More lease specials came out today but after all the fees, etc, probably makes more sense to buy and a 981 as it's a good price point for me to get my feet wet.

I assume I can buy at one dealership and get it serviced at another.

Last edited by john5251; 10-01-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.