Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind spot mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 08:41 AM
syswizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Blind spot mirrors

Has anyone purchased this mirror ?:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991ASP.html
This seems to be the only solution to the boxster's apparent 1 second blind spot problem.
I would hate to glue on those tiny convex mirrors that only cost $10....
as they are ugly.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-01-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
I used to live in Germany and everything over there has aspheric mirrors. They take a little getting used to but they do show you what's in the blind spot. Key is to train your eye to look specifically at the curved portion of the mirror. They work well. Germans don't stick with things that don't work.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:22 PM
Steve -
Given the problem, why didn't Porsche use those mirrors in the 981 series ?
I mean, wow, the blind spot problem is obvious....given the small side mirrors.

When I had my Miata, that's the first thing I did...and the convex mirror solved the problem.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by syswizard
Steve -
Given the problem, why didn't Porsche use those mirrors in the 981 series ?
I mean, wow, the blind spot problem is obvious....given the small side mirrors.

When I had my Miata, that's the first thing I did...and the convex mirror solved the problem.
If you haven't yet realized, Germans don't think very highly of the American market when it comes to operating vehicles. Case in point, all BMWs come with a rear fog light in the left rear taillight assembly but BMW gives this market a different switch so you can't operate it. Germans just think Americans are idiots, and they're right for the most part. As for the mirrors, either they think Americans won't understand how to use it properly or there's some DOT rule that doesn't allow it--which wouldn't surprise me.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Germans just think Americans are idiots, and they're right for the most part.
As do the French, which is why I won't drink their wine.
With all of the quirks that I've seen with my 981, the German's are not in a good position to consider us as idiots.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by syswizard
As do the French, which is why I won't drink their wine.
With all of the quirks that I've seen with my 981, the German's are not in a good position to consider us as idiots.
Driving in Germany is serious business. It's thousands of Euros and a long course of training to get a license. They teach drivers all the things that most Americans hardly ever learn on their own, to include user maintenance. Many times when over at the local Porsche dealer I've showed owners things about their cars they never knew, like how to operate the rear fog light and how to park at night on the street and leave the non-curb side taillight and front parking light on. Both of those attributes are on all domestic German cars and are used often. Probably because they parallel park often on rather narrow streets.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Driving in Germany is serious business.
I understand that, but I don't think the attitude of the German engineers is warranted IMHO. Yeah, they are pretty good, but not infallible.
For instance, I just finished some body work and was very surprised at the thin color coat. After only 16k miles, the paint just has so many minor chips and cuts in it....I'm probably going to do a complete re-paint next spring....as doing brush touch-ups just doesn't hack it if you want a show-car look.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.