Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Bad vibrations!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 07:39 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Bad vibrations!!!

Anyone get a slight steering wheel vibration from 65-75 mph??? I seem to have had this problem since the car was new. Seems to be more noticeable now at 19,000 miles. The car is a 2003 and has never been aligned. I have the 19" Cayenne design wheels. I have heard of Cardan drive shaft issues, but not sure if this would apply since it only happens w/in a small speed range...10 mph. Any idea's??? I have the Pirelli N spec 275/45/19's. They are getting pretty worn and thinking about replacing the tires soon and getting an alignment. I am very interested to know though if anyone suspects the cardan shaft is the problem. If anyone has had a cardan shaft replaced, I would be interested to hear what you noticed when driving the car. Thanks

Note: The vibration seems to be worse when I first drive the car in the morning then it subsides somewhat when the hot pressure builds in the tires.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:42 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is on a distinguished road
rockitman: I bought my 04 S in May 2003 and right now I have 8,900 miles. No vibration issue at all. The car has been alligned after I installed the Techart springs at 4.6k miles

Old 07-09-2004, 10:40 PM
F1Drew is on a distinguished road
Of course a trip to the dealer would be in order to check out the entire suspension. However, it just might be as simple as wheel balancing.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:10 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Don't start blaming this on anything else until you rule out alignment (first) and tires (second). It's most likely your problem, especially with 19's.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-09-2004, 11:18 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Don't start blaming this on anything else until you rule out alignment (first) and tires (second). It's most likely your problem, especially with 19's.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-09-2004, 11:19 PM
CamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really niceCamNeelyphile is just really nice
I think its your tires.

I just today took off my 19" Pirelli tires and replaced them with Continentals. The shimmy/shake/tug/pull is gone and it is now quiter than a Kenworth tractor/trailer. Alignment will be done next week just to make sure all is well in that department.

Old 07-10-2004, 12:41 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by damon@tirerack
Thanks Damon...I am calling you next week to discuss tire replacements for my 19's. I might want to try something different from the Pirelli's. I noticed Continetal's in 275/45/19 as an option....but I want to consider the Michelin Diamaris 4x4...I know they don't make 275's for the 19's, but I did notice on their sight that they do make 285/45/19. It indicated that the minimum wheel width is 9". Would these work with my 19x9 Cayenne Design wheels??? Think they would be a better tire than the Continental's ??? Thanks

Old 07-10-2004, 01:29 AM
hooked is on a distinguished road
Bet you dollars to donuts its the tires...

Old 07-10-2004, 02:49 AM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
Get the wheel rebalanced and you should have no more problems. With such a limited speed range, I can almost guarentee it is a tire balance issue.

Old 07-13-2004, 03:11 AM
West Palm is on a distinguished road
FYI...check your local dealer for alignment bulletins on -03's

Old 07-13-2004, 03:18 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Chris,
got a customer here owns a Cayenne Turbo. same problem even before he put the 22'' Techart on. slight shaking during low 70s. we checked, not alignment or balancing issue. i'll keep u updated.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 20C4S
Chris,
got a customer here owns a Cayenne Turbo. same problem even before he put the 22'' Techart on. slight shaking during low 70s. we checked, not alignment or balancing issue. i'll keep u updated.
Arling, just put my 19/285/45 Michelin's on Yesterday and had a 4 wheel alignment done. The camber, caster(front) and toe were all off by a significant margin. Drove the car home and did not notice any vibration.

This morning, after the car sat all night, I noticed vibration again around 70-75 mph. After 10 minutes on the highway, it subsided...I am at a loss. Could it be that the tires flat spot over night in the front due to the weight of the vehicle??? It seems when the tires warm, it goes away. I am not sure if I should bring it back to the dealer yet or not...I have the before/after and Porsche spec setting measurment sheet from them when the did the alignment. All were adjusted w/in spec and the tires were also road force balanced. I know the guy who uses the road force balance machine since he did my GT3 wheels not too long ago and they are in perfect balance, so I feel he knows what he is doing with the machine. Any more idea's????

Old 07-22-2004, 11:11 PM
cporterfield is on a distinguished road
This sounds a who lot like the problem I have experinced on my wife's MB S500. Over the past two and ahlf years, I have replaced the wheels and tires twice. and the car has been aligned and the tires balanced numerous times. When the car ran out of warranty (I have an extended), the dealer all of sudden found that a control arm needed to be replaced as well as some other suspension components. The car drives much better now. MB is not my favorite at the moment.

Old 07-23-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by cporterfield
This sounds a who lot like the problem I have experinced on my wife's MB S500. Over the past two and ahlf years, I have replaced the wheels and tires twice. and the car has been aligned and the tires balanced numerous times. When the car ran out of warranty (I have an extended), the dealer all of sudden found that a control arm needed to be replaced as well as some other suspension components. The car drives much better now. MB is not my favorite at the moment.

Hmmm, control arms and other suspension components...I never thought to look at that...Perhaps the rubber bushings in the control arms could be the culprit??? Maybe they are too soft???

Old 07-23-2004, 01:45 AM
Other idea's????

Perhaps bushings in the control arms or the needle bearings are loose or did not fit correctly on the hubs??? Running out of idea's....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad vibrations!!!