Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

New Cayenne turbo s owner, need all season tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gixxer1127
anyone try the latitudes when replacing the diamaris in 275/40 20?? they are similarly prices just wondering...... also i was considering going to 315/35 on the rear staggered setup. They are the same height just wider, Anyone??

I just ran a set, I was only averaging only 5000 miles on the Diam's (400 rating) switched to Latitudes (200 rating) and now have to replace with 12k miles on them, a little louder road noise but tolerable. Grip, handling and performance just as good as Diam's and I always drive like I stole it!! Need to replace and will definitely go back with Latitudes.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:23 AM
WayneE is on a distinguished road
I'm using 275/45 19 Conti Extreme DWS for my "winter" tires on 19x9 replica GTS wheels I snagged off Ebay.

We don't get a ton of snow here, so that combo works well for me. I've driven in deep snow on the roads and my driveway without any problems.

Name:  2009-12-19084544.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  2009-12-19083349.jpg
Views: 1950
Size:  137.3 KB

Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
blownpepper is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Woodhouse
As someone stated to me when discussing the topic, "An all season tire is simply a compromise. It's not a good winter tire, and it's not a good summer tire. There is not a driving condition in which this tire is properly suited."
That comment is too literal. It may not be the best tire for either winter or summer but it's a HELUVA lot better in both winter and rainy conditions than my summer Diamaris were. Just for the stability in the spring/summer rains, I'd take these over the summer Diamaris. I'm not taking my Pepper to the autocross, that's what my 40th Anniversary is for...

Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
gixxer1127 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
I just ran a set, I was only averaging only 5000 miles on the Diam's (400 rating) switched to Latitudes (200 rating) and now have to replace with 12k miles on them, a little louder road noise but tolerable. Grip, handling and performance just as good as Diam's and I always drive like I stole it!! Need to replace and will definitely go back with Latitudes.

have you heard of anyone having any problems with the 315/35's on the rear 10.5 " technos?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gixxer1127
have you heard of anyone having any problems with the 315/35's on the rear 10.5 " technos?
I personally haven't although I have stock wheels on my Cayenne. I wouldn't see a problem unless you have a lowering kit installed??

Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
No one makes a good 20" winter tire.

I use a separate set of 18's for my winter driving.

And I have a third set of 18's coming for off-road summer driving.

Why buy a performance car and hobble it will compromised tires?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
PS 18's will NOT fit on a Turbo S. You'll have to use 19's.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:29 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Woodhouse
All seasons are not recommended, especially for a Turbo S Cayenne.

As someone stated to me when discussing the topic, "An all season tire is simply a compromise. It's not a good winter tire, and it's not a good summer tire. There is not a driving condition in which this tire is properly suited."

I have to agree, as I've driven Cayennes on all 3 types of tires. The best choice is: 2 sets= winter / summer.
+1 You just bought a 120,000.00 + vehicle. It's very easy to spend somebody else's money but buy a set of 19" or 20" wheels and put on some snow tires.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by gr8ful
PS 18's will NOT fit on a Turbo S. You'll have to use 19's.
PSS If your SUV was an oringianl Cayenne Turbo, like mine, 18's will fit on your brakes. However, 18's will not fit on the original Turbo S nor will 18's fit on those Cayenne Turbos with the factory Turbo Power Kit (boost).

I'd prefer an 18" winter tire.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Bigfoot is on a distinguished road
Cool I had no trouble getting through the Minnesota snow

2006 Turbo S with all season tires . . .

Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2010, 01:35 AM
Some jackbutt in a Cayenne GTS crowded me endangering both of us. He, too, had nice wheels, but as soon as I had the chance I punched it and put plenty of distance between he & me.

2 or 3 weeks ago another Jackbutt driving a Cadillac SUV has to cramp my style. He, too, was wearing 20's and must've been No Season tires as well.

I have my 20's for the summer (Diamaris) and there is nothing like driving on dedicated tires for the season. Of course, what would I know about winter driving?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Bigfoot is on a distinguished road
Cool

Not too long ago, Car and Driver or Motor Trend (I don't remember or care which one) did a test to prove how much better winter tires perform. As both magazines (and several people in this forum) often claim, the winter tires did much better on snow and ice. I accept that. It is true. Winter tires do much better on snow and ice. End of story.

However, in Minnesota, they put so much sand and salt on the roads that well over 95% of my driving is on dry roads going to work each day. Even if we get 7 inches of snow, the interstates and main roads are plowed, sanded, and salted so fast, the road is dry in less than 24 hours. In fact, as I look out my window now, there is a 5 foot high snowbank along the sides of my driveway (fun to shovel) yet the street I live on is bone dry.

Interestingly, the same magazine review showed the all-season tires (like I have) performed far better than the winter tires on the dry road. The magazine wanted to demonstrate their view that the winter tires performed better on snow and ice. They proved their point in words and test data. In addition, their own test data also clearly demonstrated that all-season tires perform better in winter when the roads are dry.

Since over 95% of my winter driving is on the dry (plowed, salted) roads in Minnesota, the all-season tires are the better performing choice. Since the main roads are dry and allow higher speeds in the winter, if I need to stop fast, the all-season tires will do the job better than winter tires.

When it snows, I SLOW DOWN ! ! ! I never crowd anybody on the road during a snowstorm. In fact, often I need to dodge idiots who drive faster than their tires can handle. I do not talk on my cell phone and always plan ahead so I can avoid the cars spinning out of control. If you are in the left lane and the road is straight, you can go fast. If you approach a curve in the road, you need to know what your tires and vehicle can handle. Slow down if needed. Careful driving during a snowstorm allows the time and room for me to avoid the people driving too fast for the conditions. If you hit ice going too fast in a curve, no tires will save you.

Yes winter tires perform better on snow and ice, but all-season tires do perform better on the dry roads. Since it does not snow every day, and 95% of the time, the roads I use to get to and from work are dry in the winter, not only is my choice of all-season tires more convenient and less expensive, it is the better performing choice for 95% of my winter driving.

On the days I need to drive on our side streets through deeper snow, my all-season tires have no trouble getting me safely to my destination. If I needed to drive faster on snow and ice, I would have to buy an expensive set of winter tires and wheels. Since I don't, I won't. The thread starter asked for all-season tire recommendations. Mine do the job just fine and when the winter roads are plowed, sanded, salted, and dry, my all-season tires perform better than winter tires.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Snow & Ice Tires -- Off Topic

Certainly, one must consider all factors when selecting tires and the choices are not easy. I for one have not decided which snow tire is best. Perhaps more importantly, when we have storms I don't leave the house. I don't even go out on the roads.

Even though I am a good winter driver, I stay home to avoid the crazy drivers. No sense putting life, limb and a precious CT in harms way.

This week, we got a huge dumping of snow after a week of temps well above 32. In fact, it was often > 40F! So, the roads were SLICK. We had 186 accidents reported during that day in 8 hours.

Unfortunately, I had a medical appointment and then a dental emergency which placed me on the road at the beginning of the snow storm and the end (during rush hour). However, I did not even venture out for my evening class at APD across town for OEC EMT 1 training.

Right now I use Scorpion Ice & Snow 255/55 18's but I am seriously considering getting the thinner 235/60 18's next time and quite possibly with studs next time. Any one with any insight on this shall be appreciated.

Porsche recommends 255/55 18's for winter driving on the CT and for much of my driving (50%) those are preferred BUT for the really thick stuff the THINNER tires seem to cut the crud and hold traction better.

Studs tear our roads up but they are legal here. Studs seem to help at low speeds especially on ice; however, studs seeem to impede braking, especially at much of any speed on dry roads.

One warning about dedicated Snow & Ice tires, their softer rubber compunds get eaten up in the warm. You want them off it temps go above 40F.

Certainly, I am glad there are good All Season 20" tires, and most certainly, with the new SUV we are charting new Porsche territory. We need to pull our heads together on this. Sorry if I offended or overly chidded anyone (Bigfoot).

Anybody have an ideas on off-road tires?

I have a new set of Grabber AT 2's on a new set of Cayenne Turbo II wheels with TPMS sized 255/55 18. No, they are not "N" rated. But I hesitated on getting the Pirelli A/T's in thinner 235/60 18's.

Locals into "real" off-roading recommended the wider tires. [They also wisely recommended buying a dedicated second vehicle with 33" tires or larger.] TireRack recommended the General Grabber AT 2's over the Pirelli's, and the feedback on the Grabber AT's was phenomenally positive. {I never thought I'd buy a set of Generals.}

While the Grabbers are studdable and might make OK snow tires, they are NOT recommended for Snow & Ice. My uses are aimed at summer time gravel roads and an ocassional beach and any other path that is low risk taking us to beautiful vistas.

We were thinking of the Haul Road (to Prudhoe Bay on the North Slope) but the odds of getting pelted with large gravel make that unappealing. However, we are going to drive all the way into and beyond Wonder Lake in Denali National Park.

The Transsyberia tires were 6 inches taller! Their rear ends were geared for hummungous BF Goodrich's BUT none of Porsche's SUV's are offered for sale in that configuration. Nor can you buy one equipped with a snorkel. I guess that prepping one as such voids one's warranty.

Shame on Porsche AG for badging one "Transsyberia" and then not offering them off-road equipped making them "posers!"