Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Head Unit replacement - CDR23

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 AM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
I really didn't have time to look today, plus Porsche doesn't show the internals of their modules on the tech manuals, however, the infotainment CAN is not hooked directly to the steering wheel control module. From what I seen, was that the signals from the switch are in the CAN comfort bus, which is translated in the instrument cluster over to the CAN infotainment bus and behind the radio.

If you do not have the BOSE system then you can just hook up the speakers to the aftemarket radio, if you have the BOSE system then it is on the fiber optic line and you will need to add an amp.

As far as getting the steering wheel controls for the radio, I seen that the horn and airbag have their own dedicated wires, but did not see the dedicated wires for the push buttons of the radio. If, and I say if because I really didn't have the time to research further, that the 2 wires listed as steering wheel data are for the controls, THEN... to test I would disconnect the two data wires, and see if anything else was affected. if not, I would hook up a scope and start pressing the buttons to see what the resistance of each switch is and then hook up a PAC universal steering wheel control via the resistor pack.

Again, I did not research it heavily, the two wires I was referring to were in the steering wheel control module, and in the F plug.

hope that helps, that is really as far as I can go on this unless I have the vehicle in front of me.

Jim

Old 04-25-2009, 11:56 AM
79traco is on a distinguished road
Many thanks. I do have Bose, so will need to replace the amp. I'll get to it this week and let you know what I find.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:50 PM
No problem

Old 04-25-2009, 10:20 PM
stikystikyricky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 79traco
Many thanks. I do have Bose, so will need to replace the amp. I'll get to it this week and let you know what I find.

Hey keep us updated!! I have a cd23 in my 05 S and still have my double din eclipse nav from my old car. If its just a matter of installing a 6 channel amp and slapping the unit in, I would do it in a heart beat. Thanks for the great input guys!

Old 04-26-2009, 02:49 PM
CBSKIER is on a distinguished road
Along the vain of this thread, I have been looking at a 2008 or 2009 cayenne without the pcm or Bose but considering adding the Kenwood system with gps, xm... or just adding a XM kit to the existing unit. Do any of you know what will be required to add the XM antenna? I think that I have read that porsche puts them in the rear spoiler at the factory? If so, do they all have them in the spoiler or will I have to add an antenna? Any other advice?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:55 PM
huskyfan23 will become famous soon enough
The antenna plug will be different so you'll have to use the Kenwood one.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 AM
philip_atlanta is on a distinguished road
Nice thread..

Any of you have pictures of your aftermarket installations (Kenwood or anything else)? I have a CDR23 that I'd like to add satellite and ipod functionality to and would like to just change the head unit..

Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM
stikystikyricky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stikystikyricky
Hey keep us updated!! I have a cd23 in my 05 S and still have my double din eclipse nav from my old car. If its just a matter of installing a 6 channel amp and slapping the unit in, I would do it in a heart beat. Thanks for the great input guys!

Any updates? Is this even possible?? Any how to's maybe??
Thanks guys!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by philip_atlanta
Nice thread..

Any of you have pictures of your aftermarket installations (Kenwood or anything else)? I have a CDR23 that I'd like to add satellite and ipod functionality to and would like to just change the head unit..

Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 PM
NavyNupe is on a distinguished road
Nice work, is the frame for the Alpine custom or does it come with the player?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM
all hand built out of ABS plastic.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:14 AM
NavyNupe is on a distinguished road
Really sharp. Will the display still work above the speedometer?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Not for audio information, once the aftermarket goes in, it gets coded for no radio in the gateway and cluster that way there is no blank screen for audio on the cluster. Need to use the Porsche computer for it though. I know Kenwood is coming out with a nice voice activated unit soon.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned
Jnguyen87 is on a distinguished road
I know this thread has long been dead, but has there been anything new of recent? I have an 2006 V6 with Bose. But its non navi. The basic headunit is so outdated so i plan on installing the Pioneer AVICZ130. Ive been reading in the other porsche model sections, specifically someone's thread for the 997, and they were able to just add the aftermarket headunit, bypass(skip over) the factory bose amp and connect straight to the factory bose speakers. Is this possible??

Old 09-10-2011, 09:55 AM
twilight is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jnguyen87
I know this thread has long been dead, but has there been anything new of recent? I have an 2006 V6 with Bose. But its non navi. The basic headunit is so outdated so i plan on installing the Pioneer AVICZ130. Ive been reading in the other porsche model sections, specifically someone's thread for the 997, and they were able to just add the aftermarket headunit, bypass(skip over) the factory bose amp and connect straight to the factory bose speakers. Is this possible??
Just completed putting in a AVIC-X930BT - ran wires back to the speaker harness from the old bose amp. The new head unit has plenty of power. Ran the front center and rear speakers in series with the front speakers. Even put in a back-up camera - way cool - should have done this a long time ago. Not an easy project - but worth it!

Looks stock with the new head unit - bought the adapter from a place in England...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Head Unit replacement - CDR23