Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Why Buy OEM hitch rated 7700 Pounds and more questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Road Runner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Triple B
I also checked into using T-Rag parts and here in Los Angeles we have Mckenna Porsche, Audi & VW on the same lot. My plan was go to each of the part counter and look at both T-Rag & Cayenne hitch back to back. The T-Rag hitch was not in stock at the time but the VW parts guy told me he already looked into it and the tow module plug is different. He said the hitch it self will bolt right up but the electronics would not.
Thanks for that, I new it was looking way too easy!

What about just buying the OEM hitch from VW without the wiring & module? (if available)

Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Road Runner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Silver TT
I don't know from personal experience but given the platform sharing it probably is the same hitch. Of course the wiring harness/computer could be slightly different though as the Cayenne has a lot of different features vs the Toureag (i.e. air suspension).

I got a quote of $USD 930 for the OEM Hitch + Wiring Harness. Couldn't break out the prices for me so I don't know if that is good or bad. I'd like to do just the Hitch for now as I don't need the wiring harness to work with the motorcycle (its a hitch mount trailer with no lights or wheels) and then do the wiring harness later on when I need to pull a boat or something larger.
$930 USD for everything is not that bad TT, where did you get the quote from? Do you have a part #?

In Toronto the Porsche dealer wants $1467 CD for the complete parts kit, what a deal!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Silver TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Road Runner
$930 USD for everything is not that bad TT, where did you get the quote from? Do you have a part #?
That quote was from Suncoast Porsche. They usually have the best prices on everything (from what I have been told).

I really wish I could see the breakout pricing btwn the hitch and the wiring harness. It is really tempting to just go with the Curt MFG hitch as that is really all I need right now and you can buy that hitch for $182.00 out the door (no tax, free shipping) from thehitchstore.com.

Then I would have the dealer add the OEM wiring harness and have it programmed later on which should be pretty easy to do and sounds like others on the forum have done as well.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
We can get the VW kits, possibly a group buy if there's interest? But unfortunately I can't verify fitment. Let me know.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 09-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Anyone who has done the CURT MFG hitch install DIY can you let me know if you ran into any issues? Any tips before getting started? I think I have all the necessary tools and I plan to take my time.

Also, any issue with parking sensors in rear bumper? I just got my fixed recently and would hate to have any issues when removing the bumper. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:35 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Here is one of a few threads on a Touareg Forum I go to. I think that this is as usual, you get what you pay for.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...all-18424.html

Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Here is one of a few threads on a Touareg Forum I go to. I think that this is as usual, you get what you pay for.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...all-18424.html
Those are helpful comments NorthVan. I agree in most situations you get what you pay for.

My main issue is I don't even know if I'll ever need to hook up the lights or anything because all I need is to pull a moto-x-caddy style trailer which attaches directly to the hitch. And I could sell this truck in the next year and no one will pay me anything for that hitch (most used Cayennes I've seen on market don't even have a hitch).

So all I really need is a hitch for now and at $181 no tax + free shipping that is a tough deal to turn down when I got quoted $2,000 at my dealer. They said $1300 for the hitch and harness and $700 for labor - quoted 5 hrs of labor.

Even if I bought the OEM hitch at Suncoast parts for $930 (plus shipping to NY and maybe tax as well) so figure at least $1,000 my local dealer wouldn't love the idea and probably would charge me the full labor rate at $700. So I'm still in for about $1,700 vs. $181.

My only reason to NOT do the Curt would be if it was of poor quality and from what I keep reading it is a very good quality piece. Actually have read the powder coating on the Curt is superior to the OEM piece (though that is the only positive I have heard about the Curt vs OEM).

I plan to try it this wknd. Will let you know how it goes. If not good, I'll return the CURT and pay through the nose for the OEM.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:59 PM
asp13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Triple B
I have the Curt MFG hitch and factory wire loom. IMO it looks better then the factory hitch. It is about 1/2" higher than the factory hitch and it is powder coated gloss black......Not flat black. Negative things about the Curt MFG hitch. 1) You loose the factory tow hook threads behind the bumper cover (Not a big deal because you could use the hitch to tow backwards) 2) you can not use load stabilizer bars. 3) The 2" receiver is a little bit over 2". 4) You loose 1,700 lbs of towing capacity.

I bought the hitch from a local RV store that was a Curt MFG dealer and I bought the factor wire loom / controller for Sunset Porsche. I installed the hitch and cut the rear diffuser my self and then took it to my local dealer to install the controller and for programming. Total cost was around $850.00 or so I don’t exactly remember.
Sorry to bump an old thread. Just wanted to see exactly what parts you got for the wiring to go with the hitch. I am looking at getting the curt hitch and wanted to know what exactly I would need to order for wiring/electronics/module etc. I will be towing a ~4,000 lb boat/trailer combo.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:45 PM
Tecchie is an unknown quantity at this point
Is there a factory trailer brake controller available for these?

Old 09-16-2020, 06:35 PM
Arthropraxis is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a hitch and wiring with module off ebay last year that looked brand new for less than $500 shipped. Had to buy the bolts from Porsche, could not find the right size anywhere, I think the bolts alone were about $50. Worth it for the factory functionality with the alarm, transmission and throttle mapping differences. Once the trailer is plugged in the difference is as noticeable as when the sport button is pressed.