Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Constant Oily Film on front rims of CTTS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:35 PM
freeldr is on a distinguished road
Constant Oily Film on front rims of CTTS?

Hello All,

Can any members let me know if they have experienced a constant deposit of an oily film on the front rims of there CTTS? I have my car washed by detailer every week but the front rims always gets this odd oily deposits by the next week.

The detail shop has not seen such a problem before on other Porsches. My pepper does not even have 2000 miles yet. I drive the same route everyday and my other car does not have this deposit.

Any input would be appreciated. I don't want the dealer to try to B.S. me when I bring it in for a check.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:20 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Sounds like you might be dealing with brake dust? Cayennes do produce a fair amount of it. Only real option is to look into a less dusty aftermarket pad.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Porsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nice
Originally Posted by freeldr
Hello All,

Can any members let me know if they have experienced a constant deposit of an oily film on the front rims of there CTTS? I have my car washed by detailer every week but the front rims always gets this odd oily deposits by the next week.

The detail shop has not seen such a problem before on other Porsches. My pepper does not even have 2000 miles yet. I drive the same route everyday and my other car does not have this deposit.

Any input would be appreciated. I don't want the dealer to try to B.S. me when I bring it in for a check.
If it's just brake dust, nothing to worry about. It is possible that the tireshine your detailer uses is mixing a bit with the brake dust giving it an oily quality. That said, you need to check and make sure there is no brake fluid leakage at either front caliper bleed screws, lines as this would be a safety related issues. Also, if the front outter cv boots have a crack or perforation, cintrifical force will sling a small amount of grease outward and could be coating your outter rim. It's probably nothing of concern. You may want to have it looked at though just to make sure. Has there been any service recently to brakes or axles? You coul also forgo the tire shine for a week and see if that has made a positive difference in the oily quality.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
knicks will become famous soon enough
yeahh it might be your tire shine, that happens all the time when tireshine is applied to the rim as well as the tires and your brakes immediately start to produce dust before the tire-shine is done.

if your up for it, go for carbon ceramic brakes, they give min. brake dust i think or just go for new pads