Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Conundrum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:09 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Hands down get a 2008. While the GTS is rarer the Turbo is a bit more fun and far more luxurious.

2008 brought many changes and FIXES.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:25 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dimf
still no Cayenne for me.

here's what happened. The dealer listed the 06 Turbo as CPO, asking for $62,900 plus tax. When I emailed my initial inquiry, I asked if it can be had in the mid $50's, told the guy if I was way out, let me know and we both move on. He responded "we're not too far apart, still doing the CPO and will let you know the final numbers in a day or two, but $57k or $58k might do it. I phoned up the guy, asked for more info and he told me that if I want the right of first refusal, I should make a $2,500 downpayment, which I did. A couple of days later, he sent me an email saying - the CPO cost him more than expected and now he wants the full list price, wanted me to make a decision right away because he has people lined up wanting to buy the vehicle. I replied what happened to the $57-$58 we were discussing about - he said he had to replace tires, brakes & do service, more than what he expected. I stepped up to $58, he said full price, take it or leave it.

Most of you guys know how much set of tires & brakes cost, the vehicle is still under Porsche warranty so the service will be mostly covered by it. The vehicle had been listed at various sites for 2 weeks (since Apr 10) as certified, jumping from $58 to $66 seems huge for me, so I let it go. I don't want to accuse the salesguy anything, but I have a strong feeling that somebody offered the full price while we were on negotiation.

I'm still in the market, maybe I'll just look for a low mileage GTS.

that was a rip off nice job walking away, these dealers are out of their minds.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cuemaster
that was a rip off nice job walking away, these dealers are out of their minds.
Yes but our man didn't handle it well.

NEVER place a deposit until you have an agreed price and "right of first refusal" is just lame WHEN YOU ARE PUTTING MONEY DOWN.

My man got lucky!

BTW, I wouldn't buy from that particular dealer. I don't recall the mileage on this particular CTT but IMHO $50,000 even should have taken it.

[Guess I might get more when I sell mine next summer than I thought.]

Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 PM
dimf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gr8ful
Yes but our man didn't handle it well.

NEVER place a deposit until you have an agreed price and "right of first refusal" is just lame WHEN YOU ARE PUTTING MONEY DOWN.

My man got lucky!

BTW, I wouldn't buy from that particular dealer. I don't recall the mileage on this particular CTT but IMHO $50,000 even should have taken it.

[Guess I might get more when I sell mine next summer than I thought.]
I gave the deposit when I thought we were close enough to having a deal, all discussions about pricing and deposit was done via email and I was confident enough that I'd get my money back one way or another. Besides, the guy is representing an authorized Porsche dealership. I had been flipping audio gears at audiogon and had become more trusting.

The CTTS involved has less than 20,000 miles, Porsches are a little bit more money here in Canada than in the US, I think the price discussed was competitive or fair, especially for a CPO unit.

Looking back, I don't feel bad about walking away. I learned a few more things and now actually enjoying the hunt. BTW, part of my job was buying steel, I am used to walking away from serious dollar deals when I don't like the deal

I have since massaged the budget, hopefully enough to be in the 08 Turbo market.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:34 PM
and everytime I see this dealership has a posting that falls under my parameters, I don't hesitate firing off a lowball offer to my now favorite Porsche salesman

Old 05-31-2010, 12:48 AM
Yes, I know they cost more up there. I think the 2006 is the same as my 2005, but the 2008's have the improved NAV, aluminum coolant pipes, more displcement and a whole lot of minor improvements.

I am cool on DFI and think these sequential fuel injection engines are cleaner and may be better.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:18 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dimf
and everytime I see this dealership has a posting that falls under my parameters, I don't hesitate firing off a lowball offer to my now favorite Porsche salesman
1-- The deal --
You are in a jam and I don't like the way it sounds --
a) You had a price on a car. They changed it .
b) They have $2500 and have not given it back.
c) you have no Cayenne and you were ready

I hope you have more than just e mails (like a buyers order with a confirmed payment) because that could act as leverage with another dealership to sell you a car at a price good enough even if you lost the deposit.

2--The vehicle --
You can not go wrong with any of these cars coming out of a 96 Windstar .
You can split hairs over the various models but if it's yoir first Porsche I would pick somewhere in the middle and that would be an 09 Cayenne S .

1) It has enough warranty to alleviate some worry.
2) It has enough power to make it a fun SUV.
3) It has enough modern gadgetry to be functional .

It's the jock of all sports but the master of none.

Last edited by yrralis1; 05-31-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
@ yrralis1 - got my money back, no problem there.

another question.

is service record that hard to get from a dealer?

here's the deal:

there is a CPO 08 Turbo listed by a Porsche dealer in Eastern Canada. I inquired, threw some realistic number and I was told we're close. At this point, we're very close to having a deal. He gave me a copy of CarProof, as part of my due diligence, I still ran a Carfax. From the Carfax, I found out that this vehicle was bought by the dealership I am now dealing with from a car auction and the vehicle actually came from Victoria, BC. This is good news for me, it is not snowing in Victoria, so it is better than getting something from Ontario or Quebec where the streets are generously treated with salt during winter.

I asked the seller for the service record at least 3 times before, but he seems to answer all my other questions, except for the service record. I sent an email to Speedway Motors (only Porsche dealership in Victoria, BC) requesting for the info - no response. Sent again, no response, again, no response. I called, cannot talk to the girl in service department, too busy I was told. Asked for the service manager - not available, so I left voicemail but still no return call.

Sent an email to the seller (east), telling him about my failed attempts to get service record from Speedway, and again, directly requested him to help me get the service record. He responded (copy & pasted)

Why are you so worried about service history the car is fully inspected buy us and is AAA condition they wont help me at all unfortuanalty
I called Porsche Canada, the lady I spoke with told me to keep on trying the original seller/service center (Speedway). I talked to a friend who owns a used car lot - he said service history should not be that hard to get, he told me to try Norden here in Edmonton tomorrow.

I hate to be an ***, but I think service history is important. My cousin bought a 5 series BMW, he had to trade it in in 10 months because it had lingering problem that even the BMW techs cannot solve - his car was in the shop more than half of the time he owned it. Since he bought 5 brand new vehicles from them the last 5 years, the dealer took the car back at generous trade in and gave him an excellent deal on an X5 35D, just to erase the bad memories of the 5 series. I would hate to buy a Cayenne with the same history.

Do you guys insist of seeing service history when buying a CPO?

I am planning to tell the guy this could be the deal breaker... and see

Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey, I tried and my service manager tried to get the service records on my CPO 2005 CTT to no avail. While the former service manager was willing to talk with me openly and told me all the things they had done in detail to my car, he refused to send me written records saying that he was barred due to confidentiality laws!!!

Right.

You have a fully warranteed CPO car. They don't give that certification away--it costs the dealer money to get it.

I think you are stuck taking a leap of faith. In that case, make a slightly lower offer saying that you'd feel more confident if you could have a copy of the service history.

Since I took delivery of my 2005 CTT last August, it has averaged $1,000US per month in warantee services under the CPO agreement.

I am not so certain I can justify keeping this SUV even though I love it.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 PM
thanks for the input gr8ful.

it has averaged $1,000US per month in warantee services under the CPO agreement
scary, but on the bright side, if your CPO is long enough, you'll have an almost new Cayenne in 3 years if they don't stop replacing parts on it

Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 AM
MSRP on this one would require more time than that--$11,7xx!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:04 PM
in Porschespeak, when a dealer lists a Cayenne and you offer "an amount all in" as in I offer $75k all in - what does it mean?

in my vocabulary - it means all included.. including taxes.

reason I ask - there is a CPO listed for $84k, I made an offer of "$75k all in", we negotiated back and forth for two weeks, seller agreed to sell for $75k all in, I agreed to pay freight, everything cool - I gave the guy my credit card for downpayment and suddenly he said $75k all in, plus taxes, plus etc.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 PM
also, how much will be a good deal or fair offer for this http://www.medproautogroup.com/web/1...S-Dallas-Texas

Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 PM
What was the total MSRP?

Generally speaking, it appears depreciation is about a $ a mile. CPO tends to add $5,000 back.

It seems to me that 20% asking price is a nice starting point. Then be prepared to negotiate from there.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM
PS This one is not CPO; it has only it's factory warranty. In which case, I might ask them to CPO it (if it qualifies, i.e. NO history of accidents, all OEM) and get that extra TWO YEARS or 100,000 mile warranty.

However, if I recall, a US dealer can not sell to Canada.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Conundrum