Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Porsche torque vectoring

Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 PM
ManMachine is on a distinguished road
Porsche torque vectoring

Is this a more useful performance enhancing option and does it provide more value than the PDCC? (If one has to pick one.) From various posts it seems that PTV is the feature to get, although not necessarily over the PDCC choice.

Car and Drivers says: "The Cayenne S was almost as satisfying, even though its suspension wasn’t quite as buttoned down. Carving smooth arcs through the track’s 17 corners was easy and—if we’re honest—pretty fun, particularly on the model fitted with the optional Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus system. This system was introduced last year on the new 911 Turbo, and it basically uses the vehicle’s rear brakes to send more torque to the outside rear wheel when turning into a corner. The difference is quite noticeable. The Cayenne fitted with this system turned in as if it had shed 1000 pounds."

And how does it compare to other torque vectoring systems, Acura's SH-AWD in most Acura models, BMW's Dynamic Performance Control in X6 and X5/6M, and Audi's Sport Differential in the S models.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
PDCC is the main reason why Cayennes have virtually no body roll. Manmachine, I would get both the PDCC and PTV. I think they both complement each other and are the reason why the Cayenne is the best handling SUV in the market second to none. The reap the benefits of the PTV you have to drive it a little more aggressively though. Spending the additional $$ on both for an 85K + vehicle is a wise thing to do in my opinion....unless the vehicle is going to be driven in a very very timid fashion but then those type of drivers would be looking for a lexus and not the Cayenne.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM
If we get the car, wife will drive it most of the time. That's why I'm thinking that a little more chassis enhancement is worth adding, but maybe not 7K more.

In terms of mitigating body roll vs. reducing understeer, my feeling is that some body roll is helpful to let the driver know the limits, while reducing understeer is always helpful.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
"Some body roll is helpful to let the driver know the limits"..I agree. You should get PASM ($1990). BTW, even the prices for the PTV and PASM are complementary ($1490 and 3510)...is Porsche sending us a message indirectly. I wonder ?? Too bad there are just very few Cayenne S's in my dealers lot and none of the them have any performance options like PDCC and PTV. SO at this point it is just my speculation as I have only drive one with PASM.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
I have a Cayenne S that I had ordered for my wife. She instead went with a RR full size so I took the 2011 order. It had everything I wanted minus the PTV and PDCC. But I did order PASM. My dealer knew I was not afraid of loading up the options list but after visiting Germany and driving these on track and on autobahn and all around the area he told me NOT to order the PTV and PDCC and save the 5k. His point was that the car handles so well now in the 2011 model with weight shed and with PASM lowering it quite a bit. I agree. That said. I have owned the ML63 AMG and have much seat time in the X5M and the various others. My mind always tells me to order all the goodies, but I havent really found a situation where I would need that and I drive quite enthusiastically for on road driving, but always safely. Unless you are tracking it, or drive like a maniac in an SUV on the road. It isnt totally needed. But if you have the extra cheese to throw around you might as well add it in.
If you are cost conscious on this purchase I would strongly suggest PASM and then the others are up to you.
Hope that helps. Please PM me if you have any more questions I would love to answer them.
D

Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Good point Porsche119 but has anyone on 6speed done any seat time with PDCC and PTV or is everything at this point (including my thoughts) just speculation about these two performance options.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 AM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
One would really have to drive both an exact same model...meaning S or turbo with those options then without...BACK TO BACK to truly answer that question.
My guess...unless you are testing it at the track...where Im sure these options come to life...it would be hard to tell.
I am interested too. Hopefully someone can chime in, but my guess is most people have bought the option or not, and if they did test it, it was probably on a test drive where you really wont flog the car enough to see. I have tried my S with all seasons on off ramps and I can get some serious cornering speeds.
The reason I mentioned my dealer is because he is the sales manager and was sent to Germany to test all the cars on track so I took his opinion.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Wouldn't have built my current gts without pdcc. Very noticeable difference when cornering. Google it and watch the videos. Have tested the new 2011 ctt with the options mentioned and amazing....
That being said, when I order my new ctt I will again opt for the pdcc and the new ptv without question. Why buy a 100k car and not get the options that enhance performance. Baffles me. No brainer IMHO.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Again, my question is not just about saving money, but how these performance enhancing options would be noticeable for many drivers who drive it leisurely around the suburban areas, and which options would be most cost effective with benefits noticeable given some drivers' driving habits. With selective options I can build a well equipped Cayenne S around 83K with 20k in options. Sure it is an expensive vehicle to start, but I'd still only get the options that we'd use/appreciate.

I feel that getting the PASM is a no brainer, since other makers like Audi and BMW all offer them now, and as it's part of the premium package it's easy just to get it. Torque vectoring isn't an expensive option and again other makers also feature this technology. I just feel that it's a bit harder to justify air suspension (2k) plus PDCC (3.5K) together.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:12 AM
03LX470 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ManMachine
Again, my question is not just about saving money, but how these performance enhancing options would be noticeable for many drivers who drive it leisurely around the suburban areas, and which options would be most cost effective with benefits noticeable given some drivers' driving habits. With selective options I can build a well equipped Cayenne S around 83K with 20k in options. Sure it is an expensive vehicle to start, but I'd still only get the options that we'd use/appreciate.

I feel that getting the PASM is a no brainer, since other makers like Audi and BMW all offer them now, and as it's part of the premium package it's easy just to get it. Torque vectoring isn't an expensive option and again other makers also feature this technology. I just feel that it's a bit harder to justify air suspension (2k) plus PDCC (3.5K) together.
PDCC would be more "noticable" than PTV. I had PTV (but no PDCC) on the 2011 CS and I did notice it a few times during 90 degree turn with moderate acceleration. I have both PDCC & PTV on the 2011 CTT but I havent really felt the PTV at all.

Once you have driven both with & without PDCC, you will miss the PDCC every time you take a turn. To feel PTV you need to be driving at least slightly sporty in a turn - not an every day "noticable" feature in my opinion.

The PASM is standard in our market and the vehicle is good enough just with PASM comfort & height adjustment. If it weren't standard and I had to order, this is how I would prioritize:

1. PASM
2. PDCC
3. PTV

All the best...

Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM
The PDCC and PTV will come in very handy in my terrain, my wife wants it...I will get it. If I pay $800 for a paint choice and $$$ dollars for LCA, adaptive cruise getting these 2 performance options is a no-brainer even if we will be putting it to use very occasionally. I keep my vehicles for a long time. In a few years every other SUV may and will have these features as standard and I do not want to kick myself to have not ordered it. That is one of the main reasons why I am custom ordering. Do not find these options on the Cayenne S that are lurking in thedealer lots. I almost feel that these sales consultants are downplaying the benefits of these two options for that very reason to move their vehicles. Even my guy told me that you do not need those two.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Get them. Call it a days. :-) won't regret it. Resale might be better to those that want it later...maybe you won't use it in casual driving but I'd get it.
It's a worthwhile option on those rare instances you want it.