Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Compared Burm to Bose today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 PM
FJS961 has a spectacular aura aboutFJS961 has a spectacular aura about
to each their own ... matter of person taste. I am in process of spec-ing a Cayenne turbo and would rather put the money towards the sport package (PDCC, PTV and sport wheel with paddles) as well as PCCB's. For my tastes, the standard Bose system is more than adequate and I'd be listening to iPod, XM radio primarily. The options can add up so fast on these.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 AM
AppleChilli will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Cpa4S
i found the surround options on the berm were too synthetic and the sound was too placed in the car

anyway, in my view only a passenger could ever really tell as the diver is hopefully allocating more attention to driving. in other words, sit in your driveway and you will love it - get on the road and the brain will not be able to properly distinguish anyway
In reading about the driving scenarios and Burmester, I've read that the system was tuned to sparkle while driving.

I listened to the Burmester and Bose both while parked and while the Burmester seemed more powerful, it did not scream that it was better. Unfortunately, my time with it was rather brief so, I was not able to test it with all accepted forms of media. It is added to my build, because I somewhat despise Bose and didn't think that the stock system was worth the trouble. It's one heck of a premium to pay for sound for those that aren't used to audio. Compared to the world of audiophiles it's par or below what you'll pay for a decent home setup.

Not worthwhile for short stints, but worth it's weight in gold (cooled seats too) for long journey's I'm sure.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:39 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by snzuloz
If you can afford to spend over 100K on a vehicle what's 4k for a top of the line sound system, should be like pocket change... Unfortunately I wouldn't know what that's like...yet.
with this attitude a 100k SUV turns into 140k... watching the 4k means your also thinking about the rest too..

Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 AM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
I spent quite a bit of time listening to both the Burmester and the Bose system in the new Cayenne. I personally found the Bose system in the new Cayenne to be pretty great; it is far better acoustically than the premium Bose system in our 2008 Cayenne GTS. It is certainly a large step forward. We just didn't hear the startling differences in the Cayenne Burmester that we were expecting. However, we did seem to notice a larger difference in the Panamera comparison of the two systems. I have a feeling that the design of the system was more focused in the Panamera, and somewhat of an afterthought in the new Cayenne. Just my thoughts, and a guess. I definitely will be ordering the Burmester option in a Panamera, when the time comes. Cayenne, don't miss it at all.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Would you get the BURM or ceramics. That's my debate. I have Bose in my current gts. Want the beat but is the BURM really the best?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
JCBH, Burmester spent 5 years developing a sound system for the Panamera, hence the location of the speakers were perfect harmony to the structural and interior design of the Panamera. With the Cayenne, it was somewhat of an afterthought given how well the Pana crowd recieved it so positioning of the speakers may not be as optimal. Air-Motion-Transformer technology does create a rich spatial sound so positioning of speakers may not matter too much. Jace, if clarity/crispness of sound even at very low volume is important to you, then Burm the way to go. With the satellite radio and uncompressed audio format CD's you will get more bang for the buck for the Burm. I say you have had Bose, now get the Burm.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
I guess I just need justification.
I am getting the Burm and not ceramics.been told by too
Many sales people I wint see the benefits besides no break dust for what I am using the turbo for. Stopping from 100 is about the same on both....
The turbo breaks can do about 30 consecutive 100-0 stops with no fade, after that is where ceramics take effect.
Decision made.
Thanks and sorry for the off topic replys.

Now back to your regualary scheduled program.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
You WILL get brake dust with the regular brakes

Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Know that, not a deal breaker. Just comparing performance not the dust.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:23 PM
AppleChilli will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jace
I guess I just need justification.
I am getting the Burm and not ceramics.been told by too
Many sales people I wint see the benefits besides no break dust for what I am using the turbo for. Stopping from 100 is about the same on both....
The turbo breaks can do about 30 consecutive 100-0 stops with no fade, after that is where ceramics take effect.
Decision made.
Thanks and sorry for the off topic replys.

Now back to your regualary scheduled program.
That's a good question : Burmester or PCCB? The PCCB will outlast the ownership of the Cayenne. For example, the dealer has the brake components for the turbo and the PCCB laying on the service counter. First question was, "how many miles do you think these ceramic rotors have on them?" My answer they look new 5 to 10k maybe... no 40k, the ceramics came of a wreck. how new they look, even more when I picked it up out of instinct, featherweight comes to mind. Try that with one hand for the turbo brake rotors...it felt like someone had glued the rotor to the table as some type of joke or something. Big difference, big difference! Will you get the use that you need out of them? If you take your CS or CTT to the track, sure. The PCCB's are no joke. Apparently they are stated to have a life of over 300k miles (regular) use. As well that was a number that Porsche threw out there...they could go past that, and for 8k should. Will the Cayenne stay in the stable that long? PCCB are also about safety win/win there.

The Burmester is almost as expensive as the PCCB. Day to day, I find more justification for the Burmester than the PCCBs; however, I love music, so my justifications are going to the total opposite of those that love to drive fast (track) and be able to stop on a dime. Standard brakes are fine -- standard audio is not. Burmester and PCCB are both extremes and over the top. If Bose was a smidge better I would have went with that and added PTV and 20"s or AIR/PTV and 19"s over the Burmester. Didn't quite workout that way. wallet.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Want the ceramics but will
Probably get the burmester. We'll see. Have 1 month more to decide.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
^^^^^^ I agree^^^^^^^
except in my case it makes more sense going for the PCCB's. I don't 'love' music. I tend to prefer the visceral experience of the drive ... not talking about long monotonous highway drives / commutes. I don't like loud music or anything else that excessively insulates me from the road / driving experience.
For me, every time I walk to my cayenne and see the carbon rotors and yellow calipers displayed in those wheels, I'll smile inside. Not having all the brake dust I rapidly accumulate on my GTS wheels, priceless (almost)

Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Babag 007 will become famous soon enoughBabag 007 will become famous soon enough
Just bought the Burm...

Here is the skinny from a self proclaimed audiophile (and, yes, this is subjective...) The Bose is acceptable. At low sound levels the Berm is only moderately better. HOWEVER, if you like your music loud on occasion, the Burm crushes the Bose. Better highs, lows and mid's.

The $$$ is the rub... I picked up a demo 2011 Cayenne Turbo (2,200 miles) and got 8% off. CT Came with the Burm and I figured, "why not". Would I have paid the $4k if I were ordering the car..? Probably not. Do I regret having it... not at all!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 PM
djenders has a spectacular aura aboutdjenders has a spectacular aura about
I got the berm and loving it 100%.

If you listen to FM radio then not worth it. Then again I have never even put FM on in the last 4 years in car car I have had.

If you have XM/Sirius you are getting close but still not 100%.

I was lucky to buy tons of DVD 5.1 or even better DTS.

When you put in a DVD DTS and set up the Burm with the proper settings it is the best stock system I have ever heard.

This is listing at a loud volume. You cant just turn it up a little bit and expect to hear a huge diff Bose VS Burm.

The highs are so crips and clear. The mids are very full. The bass is amazine like I have some old school subs in the back.

When I do switch back to XM for sure the quality goes down some but not alot.

So for you that only listen to FM or worse AM Talk radio then dont waste $4K.

I for one love great audio and have a case of about 50 DVD in the car at all times.

It would be nice if I could keep it all on my IPOD but know how great a DVD Audio in DTS sounds I find mysel listing to them 90% of them time.

You can put in a DVD Video also and it will play the audio part in what ever format is on the DVD. Most come with 2.0 PCM, and 5.1 Digital and some have DTS also. DO you have to change to DTS or 5.1 when you put in the DVD if not 99% of the time it will default to 2.0 which is like a 911 and DTS is a 911 Turbo S or a GT2 RS. I am not joking that big of a diff.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djenders
I got the berm and loving it 100%......

When you put in a DVD DTS and set up the Burm with the proper settings it is the best stock system I have ever heard..
dJenders, nice review. The BURM is the best stock system in the world period. There is a reason why the Bugatti Veyron has the Burmester audio system. Even at a top speed of 267 miles per hour, Burmester guarantees a skip free CD playback. To my knowledge, the only other system that is as good as the BURM is the NAIM featured on the Bentley Contis. I have heard an audio CD on that system when I sat in my friends car during my visit to my hometown in India...WOW. Even to this day I have goosebumps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Compared Burm to Bose today