Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Switching from Range Rover Supercharged to CTT. Questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 PM
kwilkins is on a distinguished road
Switching from Range Rover Supercharged to CTT. Questions.

After a fairly extensive search for a new vehicle I was prepared to purchase a full sized RR SC. A friend suggested I check out the Cayenne prior to making my final decision. I had intentionally left the Cayenne off my list due to my perception (perhaps misplaced) that it had a rough ride, I like a comfortable ride. This week I test drove a CS and liked many things about the truck, but was underwhelmed with the feel of power. The CS was fast for sure, but I just didn't feel like I was going fast, I didn't experience the same rush as I did with the RR SC. Before I get flamed, I do understand the CS handles much better than the RR, it corners better, it feels more like a sports car, and the CS would humiliate the RR on a twisty road. All that being said, the "power" just "felt" better in the RR SC, to me.
I'm going to test drive a CTT this weekend and I fully expect the feel of power will shame the RR SC and overcome my personal concern about the CS. I'm interested to hear from those with a CTT their thoughts on how it performs as a daily driver and comfort related aspects. One thing I really loved about the RR SC was the amazing level of comfort it provided in nearly any type of conditions. On the highway, over rough roads, stuck in traffic, going fast, going slow, it always felt amazingly comfortable and controlled. Again, The RR SC does not corner well (particularly when compared to the CTT) and that is a significant tradeoff that I'm considering.

To the 2011 CTT owners, how do you feel your truck performs as a daily driver? When you're not carving canyons what do you think of how the CTT handles everyday driving. Is it too stiff on rough roads? Does all that power make trips in congestion and around parking lots a pain? Has anyone drive/owned both the 2010/2011 RR SC and the 2011 CTT, and if so what say you?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Probably it's easy to tell I'm conflicted, and comparing rather different vehicles.

Ken

As a side note, I’m aware of the RR reliability issues.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Alby is on a distinguished road
Hi Ken, my last three vehicles have been Rangerovers and just traded mine two weeks ago on a new 2011 Cayenne........my first Porsche. Mine is a diesel so cannot comment on the power differences but from a comfort / luxury point of view IMHO nothing compares to a RR. Having said that the Cayenne is an extremely pleasurable car to drive and are enjoying the change, I asked my wife what she thought of the ride quality as a comparision and whilst she said it was firmer she also went on to say that you would expect it to be as it is a different type of car this is a sports car dressed as a 4WD.

For me one of the reasons not to get another one at the moment is that they will be due for a new model in the next couple of years which would impact resale values

It is early days for me with the Cayenne but don't think that I will regret the change.

PS: I have always found my RR's to be very reliable.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
My RR was very reliable also.

I have a 2010 Cayenne GTS which replaced my RRSC and yes the power was definitely better with the RR. However, I felt that the seats, navigation system, interior accomdations ect were behind that of the Porsche. My GTS was bought new with 8 miles on the clock and it reads 33,XXX now and it has been bulletproof.

Both trucks are excellent but where the RR shines is long drive comfort, the ability to actually hold loads of cargo when going out for errands to home depot/costco and real time AWD that I actually have utilized on trips to Mammoth.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I have owned an 07RRSC and loved it, I also had a 99' 4.6hse which I still miss. Both cars were very reliable but did have cosmetic issues which were easy fixes but left a negative impression of total build quality.
I know have a 11' CTT which I actually modified to over 600HP/TQ with only 2 mods at under 3k in price.

Before answering your question just want to remind you that a well equipped CTT will run you at least 125k and can easily get to 140k compared to a 97k RRSC.

Just yesterday I test drove the new RRSC and expected it to be very fast since it does 0-60mph a full 2 seconds faster then the model I had (500hp vs 400hp). I must say that my test drive left me very unimpressed with the acceleration. I realized that I was used to the acceleration from my CTT and of course the RR would not compare, so my senses are a little f'ed up from the CTT. The RR was supposed to have a much better suspension then my previous model however compared to the PDCC I have in the CTT it felt really crappy on a turn. Again it is not fair to compare to the CTT. Look at a video on autocar.uk on youtube where they compared the CTT to a C4S and it was only 2 seconds slower on a track.

The comfort of my CTT is at least as good as my RR was but does the following much better:
-higher avg mpg 19vs14
-insanely faster
-handles like a sportscar
-brakes like a sportscar
-ventilated seats which work much better then RR's
-easier and better pcm/nav/bluetooth
-more luxuries layout of interior (subjective)
-burmester stereo much better then the premium sound of RR or any other factory stereo
-can change damper setting between comfort/normal/ sport, comfort is very smooth ride.
-capacity for hauling cargo is not much less.
-extremely capable offroad, but nothing is better then RR at this.

Overall the test drive of the RRSC was very unimpressive because I am used to the CTT which concludes that I think it is a much better SUV, however it is what you want in a SUV and if I did not want a sporty feel then I would definitley love the RRSC. I would not mind having both of them.

Let me add that if you do not plan on getting the options that would put you at a price of 125 to 130K then do not get the CTT, as it is not worth it without all these great options which I feel are well worth their costs. As a must you have to at least get:
-ptv/pdcc
-burmester stereo, sat radio
-21" wheels
-adaptive cruise/LCA
-backupcamera
-keyless entry and drive
-18way seats with ventilation

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
I won't give a long elaborated explanation bc I'm on my way out but let me say a fee things.

I own a 2011 RR NON supercharged an a 2011 CTT.

If you're after comfort the CTT will suit you perfectly. I you are after power/acceleration the CTT will beat the RR SC without question and then there aren comparisons in corners.

The RR is bigger inside and does have a good/ boaty ride but it's not the ride I prefer.

My wife drives ours with our escalade and she likes the escalade more because of it's bigger feel. Obviously not compared when talking about ammenities but it says something when she "chooses" the escalade when she has both to pick from.

The RR SC will run you about $110-$130k top line CTT's will run you about $20-30k more, if done right, if that's of concern.

If you're wanting a cargo hauler get the RR if you can only have one, if you're wanting a a better in any aspect get the CTT.

But are good but for me serve different purposes. Love the CTT, like the RR. Love the LED digital display in the RR.

I can write more later

Last edited by Jace; 05-27-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Alby
Hi Ken, my last three vehicles have been Rangerovers and just traded mine two weeks ago on a new 2011 Cayenne........my first Porsche. Mine is a diesel so cannot comment on the power differences but from a comfort / luxury point of view IMHO nothing compares to a RR. Having said that the Cayenne is an extremely pleasurable car to drive and are enjoying the change, I asked my wife what she thought of the ride quality as a comparision and whilst she said it was firmer she also went on to say that you would expect it to be as it is a different type of car this is a sports car dressed as a 4WD.

For me one of the reasons not to get another one at the moment is that they will be due for a new model in the next couple of years which would impact resale values

It is early days for me with the Cayenne but don't think that I will regret the change.

PS: I have always found my RR's to be very reliable.
Thanks for the info. Have you taken your Cayenne for any extended drives? I regularly have a 4 hour plus drive I make and know the RR SC would be terrific on a long drive and not leave me feeling fatigued.

I"m wondering how the Cayenne does on long highway road trips.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Fkim011
My RR was very reliable also.

Both trucks are excellent but where the RR shines is long drive comfort, the ability to actually hold loads of cargo when going out for errands to home depot/costco and real time AWD that I actually have utilized on trips to Mammoth.
Have you also taken the Cayenne to Mammoth, or do you have other experience with it off road or in snowy conditions? I know this is where the RR will outperform the Cayenne, but I'm interested to know how capable it is.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Jace
But are good but for me serve different purposes. Love the CTT, like the RR. Love the LED digital display in the RR.

I can write more later
Thanks for your comments. I would be interested to hear more of your thoughts since you own both.

Beyond some of the obvious things (RR holds more and does better offroad - CTT is faster and sportier) what are the likes and dislikes for each vehicle compared to the other?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by zzzspeed

Let me add that if you do not plan on getting the options that would put you at a price of 125 to 130K then do not get the CTT, as it is not worth it without all these great options which I feel are well worth their costs. As a must you have to at least get:
-ptv/pdcc
-burmester stereo, sat radio
-21" wheels
-adaptive cruise/LCA
-backupcamera
-keyless entry and drive
-18way seats with ventilation

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.
Thanks for your thoughts.

If I order the CTT I would get all the options you listed except the 21" wheels. This is going to be my only vehicle and I need tires that will work in snowy conditions for the NJ winters. I know I could buy a set of winter tires, but I'm not so interested in that expense and the hassle. Also, since I do car about the balance between sport and comfort I'm thinking the 21" wheels would give me a bumpier ride than 19".

Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kwilkins
Thanks for your thoughts.

If I order the CTT I would get all the options you listed except the 21" wheels. This is going to be my only vehicle and I need tires that will work in snowy conditions for the NJ winters. I know I could buy a set of winter tires, but I'm not so interested in that expense and the hassle. Also, since I do car about the balance between sport and comfort I'm thinking the 21" wheels would give me a bumpier ride than 19".
The ride will not be bumpier but you will suffer from loss of offroading ability. The air suspension and soft damper setting really soak up rough pavement just as good as my Lexus LX570 did. I forgot to mention that when I went to the porsche driving school they have us take some cayenne's offroading and they are suprisingly very capable. It is unlikely you would ever encounter something that it could not handle.
Also the rear seats fold down, move back and forth a few inches and can recline a few degrees. Thus the difference in cargo space is very small between the 2 cars.
I drove the CTT on a 4 hour drive recently and did not feel anymore fatigued then with any other car.

We only owned the LX570 for 8 months and as comfortable as it was, it also made us feel very fatigued. My wife and I agreed that because it felt so massive and wobbly that it was exhausting driving it around town, and that the smaller feel of the CTT was much easier to drive around in. Then again, it was fully loaded and cost 50k less then the CTT.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:44 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
I've never owned the large RR but did have an '08 RR Sport SC and I really disliked it...soft steering & poor handling. I have owned 3 CTT & a CTTS. I have to agree with everybody and their comments. My wife & I both have '11 CTTs and use them as DDs. She went from a S550 to a Bentley GTC to the CTT over the last 3 years. The other day I asked her which she liked the best and she said the CTT by far.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
One of the most amazing aspects of the Cayenne is its ability to absorb the imperfections of the terrain,and even in comfort mode and normal ride height..it NEVER has that "boaty,floaty"ride feeling of the RR..it ALWAYS feels tight and ready for anything the road will throw at it..
Soft AND hard at the same time is how i sum it up...with the best brakes in the business too
And with the pepper,especially the CT,when you lower it and push 'sport mode'...
Like it's been said before...there is NO substitute

Last edited by pepper09tt; 05-27-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Alby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kwilkins
Thanks for the info. Have you taken your Cayenne for any extended drives? I regularly have a 4 hour plus drive I make and know the RR SC would be terrific on a long drive and not leave me feeling fatigued.

I"m wondering how the Cayenne does on long highway road trips.
I have not done any long trips yet and the driving that I have done to date has been more adrenalin based not 'are we there yet!' type trips but whilst I understand where you are coming from with the armchair style ride of the RR I still think you will find it a pleasurable experience.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM
microboby can only hope to improve
I have owned both and currently have the CTT , both are heavy and bad in MPG (i have an 955 CTT) , Interior fit of the RR is much nicer , I had the Westminister edition and was ver nice. Cayenne is better and faster in almost every way , RR looks nice but overall its not close. The CTT is the Ultimate SUV by Far.
If comfort and ride is what matters then the Lexus RX350 is the way to go , I also have one and drive it every day, Cayenne still looks much nicer than both.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Thanks for the great thread!!!
Love reading about all the points of view.

OK I'm sort of in the same boat as you.

Have always loved the RR, especially up here (Canada) 'cause the roads suck and the RR just glides over it.
But it has started feeling a bit outdated and when I asked how much an extension on the warranty was going to be I was told...are ya sitting down... 9K!!!!
Which means LR is expecting things to go badly wrong with this vehicle after 4 years...
Don't get me wrong I still love this gas guzzler, it's got pedigree, comfort status, character and a very masculine style... it makes ya feel like you're driving a vehicle which was designed to keep the royal family itself safe and comfortable (which to certain degree is true ).

Checked out the Benz G-wagon as well (lots of character and not too many off them on the road) but that really hasn't changed over the last 3 decades, talk about feeling outdated + it's just to damn narrow.

So (like you) I've been looking to go for a new model Cayenne, it's just more current and does everything it should and more (It would also look good next to my C4S ).
However the CS is just too damn feminine for my tastes.
The TT's looks are more to my liking, it looks mean, intimidating with a masculine stands and the muscle to back it... until ya see the back end . guess that would be the one, but (as has been stated) it gets expensive real fast once ya start adding the necessary options...

What to do what to do... I'm thinking of maybe going with the S and customizing the hell out of it with a Hamann appearance package or go with the previous model GTS, absolutely love the way it looks and rides but the interior is VERY plain compared to the new pepper and it will be come outdated soon...
Come to think of it, the RR's I've had have been the only vehicles I've never felt a need to customize...

Oh BTW if you are thinking of going the RR way I'd wait 'cause the "new" owners (Tata Motors) are coming out with a completly different style for the new LR line-up coming (this fall).

Wow that's a lot of typing with one finger .

Good luck!

Sid.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 05-27-2011 at 09:56 PM.